Alleged codex leaks

18 minutes ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those detachments are limited in the units that can be included in them right?

I bet he does. ... master crafted power sword, and bolt pistol would be my assumption.

The article mentioned no restrictions on what can be used in any of the 3 detachments previewed…

they likely won’t restrict any unit choices, some might change the units that count as battleline.

So firestorm detachment has bolt rifles going up to S 5 meaning you’re wounding MEQs on 3s and terminators on 4s

Heavy bolt rifles are now wounding GEQs on 2+ terminators on 3+ and gravis on 4+.

aggressors are scary into MEQs now, wounding on 3+ with rerolls on gauntlet guns, and giving their guns assault, that extra mobility really helps them get their fists into action.

(all wounding numbers obviously at 12” or less.)

as someone who was previously using custom chapter doctrines to allow advance and shoot, I’m a huge fan of this detachment, plus that enhancement can easily be renamed red thirst for head canon to explain where the extra strength comes from.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

4 hours ago, Dracos said:

So far they seem less tied to the Armor types than I was hoping for

Surely that is a positive thing as it allows players flexibility. The Salamander detachment looks like it would definitely suit a Gravis-heavy force (and probably Terminators too) but it does not force you to run it that way.

That right there is the fault of the Detachments, an indeed of every version of army building for the past few editions. The Firestorm Assault Force should restrict unit choices, as should the First Company Task Force. It's why I championed the non-Battalion detachments of 8th and 9th, and the one thing I would bring back from the ye olde times of 4th edition in that if you want X unit to do better you have to do without unit Y.

6 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Surely that is a positive thing as it allows players flexibility. The Salamander detachment looks like it would definitely suit a Gravis-heavy force (and probably Terminators too) but it does not force you to run it that way.

no and yes :cool:

Understand I’m coming from a a purely Primaris player perspective. I would have liked three detachments focused on getting the most out it’s armor type and the weapons used with that armor.  Tacticus/Firstborn being the most flexible. Gravis having maneuverability issues and Phobos damage causing ability

Just as ideas, I would have given Phobos an additional unit with OoM, and Gravis a deep strike stratagem.  Just spitballing there. I’m never going to be a Marine +1 player so I’m just hoping we squeeze as much as we can out of our weapons and armor that is iconically Space Marine … without going over the waterfall like Eldar has.  

My biggest fear is being left in the dust by powercreep that explodes after our Codex is released. Making 10th like 8th where we have to have Supplements and a second Codex to become relevant again. 

Have they said how many Detachments are going to be available? I’m not hugely disappointed … yet … after all we are getting leaks and there is so much more information yet to come. 

1 hour ago, Dracos said:

My biggest fear is being left in the dust by powercreep that explodes after our Codex is released. Making 10th like 8th where we have to have Supplements and a second Codex to become relevant again. 

I have a feeling you may be right. The new codex looks fairly flavourful but does not do a great deal to actually boost Marines' winrate. Unless GW nerf the top factions more, Marines are going to struggle to be mid-tier. Nerfs are never popular but unless GW give Marines a bit more OOMph, they are still going to struggle against Index-era Knights and Eldar. Would those factions be happy to see their codices nerf them down to Marine levels? I suspect not.

1 hour ago, Dracos said:

Have they said how many Detachments are going to be available? I’m not hugely disappointed … yet … after all we are getting leaks and there is so much more information yet to come. 

I think they said 7. Gladius (UMs), Salamanders (close range fire-fighting), Imperial Fists (static shooting), White Scars (high speed), Raven Guard (sneaky Phobos), Iron Hands (tough and maybe vehicle-focussed) and First Company.

Blood Angels, Dark Angels and Wolves get a custom detachment each. Whether they get multiple detachment when their own codices come out remains to be seen.

There was a half second glimpse of the Fists-inspired detachment, Anvil Siege Force. Ranged weapons all get HEAVY. If the weapon already had HEAVY, then if the unit remained stationary...something neat happens. It cuts off before it explains what that is.

5 minutes ago, Cpt_Reaper said:

There was a half second glimpse of the Fists-inspired detachment, Anvil Siege Force. Ranged weapons all get HEAVY. If the weapon already had HEAVY, then if the unit remained stationary...something neat happens. It cuts off before it explains what that is.

The leaks already had that part shown (and since the first part was 1:1, it's pretty safe bet the second one was correct too) 

If the weapon was already heavy you get +1 to wound when stationary  

The bonuses are nice, but having to stand still isn't.  Also, you can already see desolators and whirlwinds getting nerfed in the next datasheet regardless of whatever happens

Edited by Fenriwolf

9 minutes ago, Fenriwolf said:

The bonuses are nice, but having to stand still isn't.  Also, you can already see desolators and whirlwinds getting nerfed in the next datasheet regardless of whatever happens

Maybe WWs and Desolators were bumped so much in the last Dataslate to take that Detachment into account.

Standing still isn't so big a drawback. There will be plenty of occasions when your units will be in a good position with LOS to the enemy anyway.

And as many occasions where you'll have to move and give up everything 

It's not a terrible bonus ( and if marines end being able to make an army with an actual support gunline to complement more mobile elements it might work great) and coming from what IFs had in 9th it's a gigantic upgrade regardless, but still..

2 hours ago, Fenriwolf said:

And as many occasions where you'll have to move and give up everything 

It's not a terrible bonus ( and if marines end being able to make an army with an actual support gunline to complement more mobile elements it might work great) and coming from what IFs had in 9th it's a gigantic upgrade regardless, but still..

‘Move and give up everything’ seems a bit dramatic.

this isn’t 3rd Ed, you still get to move and shoot heavy weapons on your infantry.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:08 PM, Blindhamster said:

The only reason BT got a big major update and a return to a full supplement was the vitriol and rage (Zeal) of the BT fanbase.

+ ZEAL IS ITS OWN REWARD + 

On 9/18/2023 at 9:03 PM, Subtleknife said:

Oh :cuss:, the primaris company champion I've been taking my time painting is now no longer a thing, thanks GW :drool:

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't jump on that bandwagon. They first FOMO'd us into buying it and then yanked the rug.

More and more anticonsumer behaviour from the company.

5 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Marine shooting has always been decent. Its the melee units that are super swingy in power edition to edition. Haven't seen much about melee stuff. 

A buffed unit of 10 Assault Intercessors in Assault Doctrine can put out a lot of damage against most targets.

I like the champion in the command squad more than the one with the sword pointing forward. 

His pose just looks weird to me. Like the bastard child of Schussel and Ochs from the Lichtenauer tradition of German Fencing.

Maybe the Italian traditions have something similar, but I'm not as familiar with that. 

not that the champion looks en garde either, but it looks more like the intention was to make him look ready to March on the enemy as opposed to being in the middle of a fight. 

Edited by Paladin777

If the Italian low guard is as similar to German Nebenhut as I think it is, then at no point would the sword be as couched as it is.

I will admit that it's neat that they made 'best swordsman' left handed though.

22 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

If the Italian low guard is as similar to German Nebenhut as I think it is, then at no point would the sword be as couched as it is.

I will admit that it's neat that they made 'best swordsman' left handed though.

Yeah, looking at it again the back elbow is too high.