40k Battleforces rumours

21 minutes ago, Nova-V said:

Disappointing to see the Dorn in the Guard box.  The last few guard boxes have been really good for bulking out Guard armies.  Having a majority of the box value tied up Dorns makes it basically worthless.

The rest look pretty solid though.

Depends on how you collect I suppose. I likely would never spring for guard armour on it’s own, as my guard are a side project meant to provide allies for my sm more than anything else. But to get two big tanks at a discount plus some infantry essentially for free? That definitely presses my “deal too good to pass up” button, even if it’s for stuff I don’t really need.

12 minutes ago, Arikel said:

Depends on how you collect I suppose. I likely would never spring for guard armour on it’s own, as my guard are a side project meant to provide allies for my sm more than anything else. But to get two big tanks at a discount plus some infantry essentially for free? That definitely presses my “deal too good to pass up” button, even if it’s for stuff I don’t really need.

I'd agree with you if you swapped out the Dorns for literally any other Guard armour.  As it is you are left with GW doubling down on the Dorn which just saps all value from the box.  Are the troops really free when you have to buy two useless kits to get them?

I quite like the look of the Imperial Guard box, and by the time it comes out the Dorn might be top of the meta (when are the next points changes due?). The discount would make up for having to fill in the bottom of the tank for yourself.

However there's no way I'm collecting another cadian army no matter how good they look, so I actually don't want any of the boxes this year. The ultimate money saver.

50 minutes ago, Nova-V said:

I'd agree with you if you swapped out the Dorns for literally any other Guard armour.  As it is you are left with GW doubling down on the Dorn which just saps all value from the box.  Are the troops really free when you have to buy two useless kits to get them?

There is that I suppose. Assuming that you mean they are useless on the tabletop, that is not a huge concern for me, as hardly anything I have hit’s the table too often. I’d be lucky to have the guard army useable by the time 11th rolls around, at my current rate of assembly and painting.

I am however, a sucker for big box deals. Assuming the 40ish percent discount holds true, 2 dorns on their own would be almost the price of the whole box. That plays right into the heart of my hoarder/collector goblin brain.  Even if they are objectively awful on the table, it’s still a good deal money wise;) so now I want, nay, am obligated to pick it up before it goes away.

Yeah two Dorns sounds pretty fun to me, but then im long past worrying about rules when they change so frequently, just buy the models you like unless they literally stop the army functioning, which is blessedly rare these days at least.

EDIT

Im marginally tempted by the World Eater one as part of my always mooted, never booted, Siege era World Eaters project, the guard or squat ones too but then the proof is in the pictures sometimes :D 

Edited by Noserenda
Forgot my point lol

5 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

Also, Ork's gotta be rivalling Adeptus Mechanicus for number of these battleforces released.

I expect Space Marines every year, but Orks feel like they also show up every year.  Same with AM.

Here are the ranges/release years since they kicked off this run of battleforces in 2016.

4:

- Tau: 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020

- Adeptus Mechanicus: 2016, 2018, 2021, 2022

3:

- Marines: 2018, 2020, 2021

- Necrons: 2018, 2020, 2021

- Death Guard: 2018, 2021, 2022

2:

- Space Wolves: 2016, 2019

- Astra Militarum: 2017, 2020

- Orks: 2017, 2021

- Imperial Fists: 2018, 2022

- Tyranids: 2019, 2020

- CSM: 2019, 2020

- Adepta Sororitas: 2021, 2022

1:

- DeathWatch: 2016

- GSC: 2017

- Craftworlds: 2018

- Drukhari: 2019

- Blood Angels: 2019

- Imperial Knights: 2022

- Adeptus Custodes: 2022

- Ravenguard: 2022

- Iron Hands: 2022

- White Scars: 2022

- Salamanders: 2022

- Ultramarines: 2022

Oh Very tempted By Angron Box... I Don't want to pay top dollar For 8 Bound buuuut if they come at a discount with the big Guy (who I don't have yet), well I'm up for that... More Berzerkers sounds like a 1st world chore to put together and paint :tongue:...:laugh:  Lets hope it's doubles of 8 Bound and only 10x Berzerkers ... 

The Guard one sounds Fun ( I know some Don't want the Dorn in the box but that's half the Fun, getting a big gun with your free troops)

M. 

6 hours ago, Mechanicus Tech-Support said:

AM/Orks are only at two?! :eek: huh could have sworn they got more 

Orks have had the kult of speed and killdakka warband. They also had an apocalypse dread mob box but that wasn't a Christmas release. 

It feels like they've had more but that's the lot afaik for the Christmas boxes.

World Eaters, Votann and AM are all pretty tempting to me, all armies I’ve thought about getting recently and all recent models (obviously in the LoV case). The Nid one would probably be most sensible seeing as I picked up the nid half of Leviathan a while back, but it’s annoying that the only older model in all the boxes basically is the Hive Tyrant in there after I decided I’d only use models from this new wave. It also depends on what the AoS ones are. And it’s all probably moot anyway seeing as we’re just buying a house and I doubt I’m going to have any money then. 

11 hours ago, Nova-V said:

Disappointing to see the Dorn in the Guard box.  The last few guard boxes have been really good for bulking out Guard armies.  Having a majority of the box value tied up Dorns makes it basically worthless.

The rest look pretty solid though.

I would disagree with that. As someone who has collected Guard for years, I have all the Russes and all the old school infantry I could ever need. What I have little off are the new Cadian models and the Dorn.

This box will in one stroke fill up my collection to the point that I won't need to buy any more of them ever again.

So while it might not fit your plans, it's pretty much perfect for someone like me.

Cant say Im tempted by the SM box.  While i will likely pick up a box of the new jump intercessors, I have no need for more bikes or atv as I have plenty of them already.

Nids box looks interesting, and def a possible purchase.

Votann box is my most likely purchase off that list.!

If these breakdowns do end up being accurate then a distressingly large number of them would actually be useful to me. Marines, Tyranids and Votann would all be complimentary to stuff I've already got with hardly any unneeded duplicates, and World Eaters and Guard would be brand new starts for armies I'm interested in that directly complement their Combat Patrol boxes.

12 hours ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Hi @Chapter Master Valrak thanks for this :biggrin:

I know AoS ain't your thing, but have you heard anything about the Christmas boxes landing in the Mortal Realms please?

Apparently the factions are Seraphon, Ossiarch Bonreapers, Slaves to Darkness, Soulblight Gravelords. No detail on the actual contents though.

This would also be a pain as both the Seraphon and Slaves sets have a strong chance of being good supplements to my existing collections and I've wanted to do a Vampire army ever since Fantasy Battle.

Obviously it's nice that there are so many genuinely good bundles but I'd almost rather that some of them were either factions I don't care about or bad combinations of models, simply to make choosing between them easier. 

Edited by Halandaar

Marines - I dont need more outriders or ATVs, honestly i dont. I mean,... they could join my Ravenwing pile of shame.

(as nice as new jump infantry would be I'm not desperate for anything in the marine box as yet)

Nids - that's really tempting. Personally I'd have preferred something other than genestealers though. 

Orks - I'd have been happy with a rerelease of the dreadmob. 

On 9/20/2023 at 9:17 AM, Halandaar said:

SM Battleforce stacked full of brand-new kits at a heavy discount? I'll need to see that to believe it.

They're handing you the bikes from the indomitus box for free in this box, and the bikes are trash they can't sell as its own kit is another way to look at it.  

18 hours ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Hi @Chapter Master Valrak thanks for this :biggrin:

I know AoS ain't your thing, but have you heard anything about the Christmas boxes landing in the Mortal Realms please?

Soon TM

I know the 4th Edition Launch box is going to blow lots of people out of the water!

1 hour ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

Soon TM

I know the 4th Edition Launch box is going to blow lots of people out of the water!

oh you freaking tease....if this is some sort of scam ill be very dissapointed in you.  Please sir, can we have some AOS rumors, * oliver twist picture asking for more goes here*  think of the children!

The sm would box would be a nice to have since i don't really enjoy paying 60 usd or so to buy 5 models kits that have a 10 man squad option. so discounts are always nice and i dont have any atv's, bike could experiment with in customising them.

I like the guard one, but it doesnt seem like a lot because of the 2 big ol tanks but im slowly collecting a guard army and this one seems nice for that just because i leave those costly models for last. If only it had some karsikin in it along with ursula creed or the lord solar it would have been perfection! ( because it does seem like its missing that character hq, even though the company squad is basically that)

And the ork one is also really nice...because i am slowly collecting a beast snagga army XD

Edited by Cryptshadow