Codex: Space Marine + Model pre-orders next week (30/09)

2 minutes ago, Mandragola said:

I do wonder if they’ll increase the cost of that starter. It really does seem very good value. 

As for the marine CP, I don’t like it at any price. It’s just such a random collection of models, based totally on what’s in the leviathan box rather than what makes a fun army to use. 

It's nothing new, last edition you could get necron warriors or the cheapest starting box with the Royal warden, assault intercessors and lieutenant in addition for 2.50 more. 

I think this box may exist as infernus marines may be treated like suppressors with no multi part kit. 

I ended up ordering a Terminator Chaplain even though I previously wasn't so hot on the model. I saw some painted up and they did a much better job selling me on it than GW's paint job, the skull mask looked much better. What really changed my mind though was thinking about the fact that I already had the Captain and Librarian from Leviathan and picking up the Chaplain to round out the gang seemed like a must, made me nostalgic for when my metal Terminator Captain, Librarian and Chaplain were the pride of my army back in 3rd edition. He'll still need some more bling though.

Is it just me or are characters getting ridiculously expensive? The heroes and sternguard kit are a little pricy  but not excessively so, a single character for more than half the price of that kit seems more than a bit price gougey.

Looks like I will stick to kitbashing commanders for the foreseeable future.

41 minutes ago, Arikel said:

Is it just me or are characters getting ridiculously expensive? The heroes and sternguard kit are a little pricy  but not excessively so, a single character for more than half the price of that kit seems more than a bit price gougey.

They've been going that way a while. The new Space Wolves Praetor from Forge World is $43 in the US, while the new jump pack captain is $40, meaning the difference for generic foot heroes is close to negligible between plastic and forge world resin.

(in US dollars)

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

7 hours ago, Doghouse said:

Only thing I have seen so far is one new Imperial Fists Successor chapter the Brazen Annihilators and a bit of blurb on the Brazen Skulls and Solar Hawks. I think GW may be clamping down on what reviewers can show now as the majority of reviews I have seen show next to nothing of the book interior and seem to focus on detachments. 

Do you happen to have any links for this? I can't find any of the new lore stuff.

I know it's a bit of a tangent from all the Space Marine chatter but - the reprinted Leviathan mission decks. I am considering pre-ordering them from my LGS but I'm slightly gunshy on account of how Age of Sigmar had General's Handbooks coming out in seasons. If I buy the Leviathan mission deck, are we expecting it to get invalidated in 6 months by any rumoured new tournament mission deck or the like, or is it likely to be useful for the long haul this edition?

57 minutes ago, acrozatarim said:

I know it's a bit of a tangent from all the Space Marine chatter but - the reprinted Leviathan mission decks. I am considering pre-ordering them from my LGS but I'm slightly gunshy on account of how Age of Sigmar had General's Handbooks coming out in seasons. If I buy the Leviathan mission deck, are we expecting it to get invalidated in 6 months by any rumoured new tournament mission deck or the like, or is it likely to be useful for the long haul this edition?

Almost certainly seasonal packs.

18 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

They've been going that way a while. The new Space Wolves Praetor from Forge World is $43 in the US, while the new jump pack captain is $40, meaning the difference for generic foot heroes is close to negligible between plastic and forge world resin.

(in US dollars)

Plus you have a healthy selection of the individual heroes that are $45 in plastic as well.

I wonder if they're finally moving the UK pricing closer to NA prices. Always wondered when that gap would close because it is pretty substantial

1 hour ago, darkhorse0607 said:

Plus you have a healthy selection of the individual heroes that are $45 in plastic as well.

I wonder if they're finally moving the UK pricing closer to NA prices. Always wondered when that gap would close because it is pretty substantial

They've done a few small increases on the UK side that weren't reflected on the North American side. For example, Intercessors have been $60 for years now, but in the UK, they've increased a couple of pounds in that time.

Now that we have the full picture, I ask myself, where are all those new and updated skills across the faction to mitigate the loss of wound rerolling? Beside the joke of a detachment ability that is the 1st company task force and the altered sternguard special rule I can't think of any others? 

From the WarCom article:"though there are new and updated skills across the faction that bring more opportunities to re-roll Wound rolls" 

19 minutes ago, Rhavien said:

Now that we have the full picture, I ask myself, where are all those new and updated skills across the faction to mitigate the loss of wound rerolling? Beside the joke of a detachment ability that is the 1st company task force and the altered sternguard special rule I can't think of any others? 

From the WarCom article:"though there are new and updated skills across the faction that bring more opportunities to re-roll Wound rolls" 

Afaik the combi-weapon lieutenants aura was updated to not require him to be in range of a friendly squad for that squad to benefit from his targeting of an enemy model.

So that is one (1) updated...

24 minutes ago, Rhavien said:

The only one that I can think of from the reviews is the combo weapon LT ability. The one where you pick an objective and get reroll 1s to wound against anything on it; previously you needed to be with 6" of the character to qualify, now it's anyone. 

But yea, very few update/new ways to get a reroll to wound.

Edit:ninjad

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

24 minutes ago, Rhavien said:

The combi-weapon lieutenant strikes me as the most likely source for folks. The Sternguard change does count, of course.

Ironstorm Spearhead gives you potentially one per unit.

Anvil Siege has a full re-roll wound stratagem against a Monster or Vehicle unit, but it's for one unit, not your whole army.

Then there's consideration for sources of +1 to wound, mostly because it can have a similar impact depending on breakpoints, but they're pretty limited as well. Anvil gives it to weapons that are already Heavy, and you must remain stationary so the opportunity cost can be pretty high. The mounted detachment gives you a source of Lance, but the units that benefit are pretty limited and unpopular. Then there's the Salamanders +1 Str to take into consideration, which can be significantly more widespread than Oaths, but won't have anywhere near the immediate impact that full rerolls to wound have.

All in all, I think units lacking TWIN-LINKED or other native re-rolls will quickly fall out of favour initially, which should shift list building a ton over time until the meta shock fully settles. I was already very fond of using Eradicators, Lancers, Storm Speeder Thunderstrikes, and Aggressors as core elements of my army because I liked the flexibility outside of Oaths.

Small buffs here and there do seem to give you a source of rerolls in more widespread situations, but none as effective or direct as old Oaths. If you were looking for a one to one match between old Oaths and this codex, well - it doesn't exist. It's a nerf, for sure. But I'm not too worried, we'll just adapt as we always do :)

I think most people interpreted "skills" more as "abilities" and less as "army/detachment rules". Also "opportunities to reroll wound rolls" as rerolls to wound instead of modifiers to wound or strength.

Just classic frustration with doublespeak on top of a nerf for a debatably average performing army.

1 hour ago, Lemondish said:

The combi-weapon lieutenant strikes me as the most likely source for folks. The Sternguard change does count, of course.

Ironstorm Spearhead gives you potentially one per unit.

Anvil Siege has a full re-roll wound stratagem against a Monster or Vehicle unit, but it's for one unit, not your whole army.

Then there's consideration for sources of +1 to wound, mostly because it can have a similar impact depending on breakpoints, but they're pretty limited as well. Anvil gives it to weapons that are already Heavy, and you must remain stationary so the opportunity cost can be pretty high. The mounted detachment gives you a source of Lance, but the units that benefit are pretty limited and unpopular. Then there's the Salamanders +1 Str to take into consideration, which can be significantly more widespread than Oaths, but won't have anywhere near the immediate impact that full rerolls to wound have.

All in all, I think units lacking TWIN-LINKED or other native re-rolls will quickly fall out of favour initially, which should shift list building a ton over time until the meta shock fully settles. I was already very fond of using Eradicators, Lancers, Storm Speeder Thunderstrikes, and Aggressors as core elements of my army because I liked the flexibility outside of Oaths.

Small buffs here and there do seem to give you a source of rerolls in more widespread situations, but none as effective or direct as old Oaths. If you were looking for a one to one match between old Oaths and this codex, well - it doesn't exist. It's a nerf, for sure. But I'm not too worried, we'll just adapt as we always do :)

Fair game! I totally forgot the ironstorm spearhead detachment in my rant. For single/few shot, high dmg weapons this can be pretty handy indeed. Especially if you make a good wound roll and spare the reroll for the actual damage roll. I like the flexibility of that ability. On the other side it gives me a slight feeling of "Look what they need to mimic just a fraction of our power." if I glance over to Aeldari. 

On 9/30/2023 at 4:15 PM, CL_Mission said:

I ended up ordering a Terminator Chaplain even though I previously wasn't so hot on the model. .

I was torn on the new Chaplain as I already own one of the recent limited edition models (the one with the combi weapon).

Anyway, it turns out that the combi-weapon option isn't in the new codex. I also like the look of the Storm-shield, so I pulled the trigger.

It appears that the Terminator Captain also can't take a Storm-shield either.

Mad that they don't make Storm Shields an option for every character, because the new ones they put together for the Bladeguard-on look great. What, do you NOT want your terminator Captain to walk around with a dead guy strapped to his shield? 

4 hours ago, Wormwoods said:

Mad that they don't make Storm Shields an option for every character

For real, there is real design space there, imagine an Ancient with a shield for the double relic drip, an apothecary with a shield that he can deploy as cover so he can do his job in quiet, a techmarine with a shield that has a servoskull with additional mechadendrites mounted. Not to mention the low hanging fruit of a breacher type squad.

15 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

The only one that I can think of from the reviews is the combo weapon LT ability. The one where you pick an objective and get reroll 1s to wound against anything on it; previously you needed to be with 6" of the character to qualify, now it's anyone. 

But yea, very few update/new ways to get a reroll to wound.

Edit:ninjad

Not actually new but Vulcan has a reroll to wound ability for flamers and meltas. That looks pretty effective in the firestorm detachment now, especially with the devastating wound strat. Him and 10 infernus marines coming out of a repulsor would do a bunch of damage. He could also go in a rhino with a couple of multimelta devastator squads. 16 S10 melta shots with rerolls to wound should do stuff. 

4 hours ago, Mandragola said:

Not actually new but Vulcan has a reroll to wound ability for flamers and meltas. That looks pretty effective in the firestorm detachment now, especially with the devastating wound strat. Him and 10 infernus marines coming out of a repulsor would do a bunch of damage. He could also go in a rhino with a couple of multimelta devastator squads. 16 S10 melta shots with rerolls to wound should do stuff. 

Yea the Sallie detachment is seemingly very good when you can build it out properly. It's actually pretty funny that oaths got cut for either feels bad or balance concerns, but the main strength of that detachment is based on a torrent weapon combo that either goes on something that's twinlinked (aggressors), or you can mark the target with Vulkan and have all torrent units get the reroll to fish for devastating wounds.

5 hours ago, Mandragola said:

Vulkan is definitely awesome but he should be attached to a Command Squad and possibly a Lt, while a Regular Captain attaches to a 10-man Infernus Squad to get the Torrent Weapons gain Devastating wounds Battle Tactic for free.

15 minutes ago, jaxom said:

Assault Marines "in motion" looks a lot better when viewed from above.

image.png.32f9d77bcb5dde126645b07f1ca0fef4.png

I mean, when you go out of your way to hide the problem - the idiotic leg poses - then the problem is less visible, yes.