Codex: Space Marine + Model pre-orders next week (30/09)

6 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

They all had to make do like Titus in Space Marine 1 intro cutscene.

You mean changing from initially going head first to feet first, despite actually lacking any method of doing so? At least I don't see how a 1 ton mass of ceramite would be able to change his direction with no maneuvring thrusters of any kind. That the game hand waves this particular particular point doesn't go in your favor.

And don't misunderstand me, its one of my favourite games ever, but the jump pack mechanics making sense is not one of its selling points (How exactly does the ground slam work? Is the jet going in reverse?)

33 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

I don't see how a 1 ton mass of ceramite would be able to change his direction with no maneuvring thrusters of any kind

Wind resistance to manoeuvre; body control to change aerodynamics; firing the thrusters at different intervals and intensities in concert with body balance - all of that would let you manoeuvre without something to push off.

52 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

There's the answer on customisability for the Command Squad: Only the captain has equipment choices

Welp, that's more than a little disappointing, but par for the course with Primaris. No options allowed.

Hm. On the plus side I’m thinking a couple of spare leviathan veterans can simply be paired up with my existing ancient and champion. Shame about gws obsession with parts in kits restricting loadouts. Really this should have been the same as the old kit ie alternative apothecary model and the captain a seperate multipart like the lt with a couple of different weapon options for the veterans. 

Please forgive me if this has already been answered, but will folks playing other chapters, ie Deathwatch, BA, Wolves, etc. need the regular SM book?  I think i recall reading somewhere that all the SM chapters were going to use the regular SM codex + a supplment....but i could been totally making that up.  A buddy of mine who just got into the game is playing deathwatch and we're not sure if he's supposed to use the new book or wait for a deathwatch book.

1 hour ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

they're nice models, definitely feels like a missed opportunity to have not given them some alternaitve loadouts.

It's weird, but reading the description in the article and re-watching the design video did something to me. My brain is currently interpreting the unit more like the Silent King, St Kat Procession, or the AoS Bonereaper General. Everything was made as a single, coherent design. There's the "character" and then a bunch of dudes that basically give the character extra wounds, attacks, and abilities (and the attacks and abilities go away with wounds).

36 minutes ago, Kallas said:

Welp, that's more than a little disappointing, but par for the course with Primaris. No options allowed.

To be fair its not a primaris thing really, its a GW thing for 40k. Actual options seem to be getting stripped away just about everywhere.

I'm legitimately impressed at this point that kill team and horus heresy retain options to a greater degree lol.

7 hours ago, Robbienw said:

Marines with jump packs (clue is in the name) shouldn't need little stabilizer's and thrusters.  They aren't flight packs or grav chutes.  Their function is to propel the marine upwards and forward over a long distance and then to slow their descent near to the ground.

Blood Angels at least deploy jump pack assault marines from high altitude thunderhawks so they can deep strike onto the battlefield. Using grav chutes to help offset the splat risk, especially given a Primaris marine is presumably heavier than his firstborn equivalent, would reduce fuel use by not having to do as heavy a landing burn, so they can fight for longer. Similar benefit, though smaller, when doing a long assault jump. Running out of fuel and having to ditch the jump pack has happened in the fluff; specifically Dante in Devastation of Baal. I definitely prefer it to the anti-splat grav sled boots they gave incursors and suppressors!

The two additional swivel thrusters they should make it easier to pick your precision land spot somewhat while coming in for landing after a powered jump. The old MK IV mono jump packs (still used by Sanguinary Guard) have two very similar side thrusters for exactly that, so it's not like it's a new idea in 40k.

I don't mind the idea of the calf thrusters, but they're just freaking huge, and the logistics of how they're powered and where they get air from just makes my head hurt.

Still, I'm happy to FINALLY get primaris scale assault troops in models and datasheet, even if I end up just putting the new design packs on assault intercessors. I've been waiting for them since 2017!

Edited by Arkhanist

I love how the intro describes 'This is a new squad option for Space Marine armies, comprising veteran warriors who serve as a kind of honour guard for your commanding officers.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a Command Squad? We had them a couple of Editions ago.

:facepalm:

Edited by Montuhotep

The fixed loadout and larger base sizes is a bit annoying for the veterans. I get what they're going for, but the vets should be allowed to take a plasma incinerator, aux grenade launcher, or pyreblaster if they wanted to. The larger base sizes means you can't mix and match them with regular dudes if you wanted.

17 minutes ago, Montuhotep said:

I love how the intro describes 'This is a new squad option for Space Marine armies, comprising veteran warriors who serve as a kind of honour guard for your commanding officers.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a Command Squad? We had them a couple of Editions ago.

It is functionally the old Command Squad, yes.

Look on the bright side - the models are fantastic!

18 minutes ago, Montuhotep said:

Don't believe your lying eyes. Your memory is not satisfactorily in control.

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Yeah, wasted opportunity. This was the perfect kit for them to go all out on weapon options and bling. Let the Ancient have a power sword like his standalone counterpart, maybe a Pyrecannon as a HB alternative, full range of weapons for the other veteran (who I will always think of as a sgt*), more shoulder pads and heads, maybe even chest and shin plate swaps if there's room. What there is is great (except for the capt's pose), but they could've done much more with it.

*I'm still stuck in the 4th ed. days. 

47 minutes ago, irlLordy said:

The fixed loadout and larger base sizes is a bit annoying for the veterans. I get what they're going for, but the vets should be allowed to take a plasma incinerator, aux grenade launcher, or pyreblaster if they wanted to. The larger base sizes means you can't mix and match them with regular dudes if you wanted.

Still think the captain is also one of the worst captain models we've had, the leg positioning is awful. Its great that we have a captain with options, just because it opens up conversions, but its still not a nice captain model (though it does have some nice bits - i like the sword).

IMO the space the captain takes up would have been better spent on alternative gear for the unit. The fact he comes with them, has me thinking they'll only be able to join a captain though.

plus side, captain options are slowly getting closer to old captains again

• power weapon (master crafted, relic or otherwise)
  • power  fist
  • master crafted bolt rifle
  • master crafted bolter
  • plasma pistol
  • bolt pistol
  • heavy bolt pistol
  • Neo volkite pistol 
  • relic shield

still missing the following though:

• hand flamer
  • grav pistol
  • combi weapon
  • thunder hammer
  • lightning claw(s)
  • chainsword

Suspect it's going to have really awkard combination rules like the index one though because power level as points will mean its necessary for there not to just be one best option.

Ideally they'd just say:

• one of: bolter, bolt rifle or shield
  • one of: heavy bolt pistol, neo volkite or plasma pistol
  • optionally one of: power weapon, power fist

Edited by Blindhamster

14 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

still missing the following though:

• neo volkite pistol

About that...

"The Captain has even more options: three heads, three right-hand weapons (master-crafted bolter, plasma pistol, neo-volkite pistol)..."

MxI312znbrCnz2DW.jpg

57 minutes ago, Montuhotep said:

They've always done this. GW are masters at changing things for change's profit's sake. I remember noticing it decades ago when I was barely a teenager, when they were making a big fuss about Chaos Warriors, Beastmen & Daemons being in the same army when Warhammer Armies Chaos launched (maybe 4th ed, maybe 5th ed, can't remember tbh). The thing was that the previous edition they'd been separated, but the edition before that they'd been one army, and the edition before the edition before that they'd been separated, etc.

They like to change things up and make old become new again, because it keeps people buying to keep up with the latest way models are organised, whether on squad or army level. It's one of their basic sales & marketing principles that they've been doing for decades. Same deal with equipment options. They add them then remove them again, so people buy new models to replace ones that are no longer optimal (or in worst case scenario, outright illegal). Options will return again, after all, they need to find some new way to keep people buying Primaris now that Firstborn are being squatted and the Primaris range is getting closer to being complete. I'm calling it now, sometime in the next couple of edition we'll start seeing Intercessor's with a special weapon option, Assault Intercessors with a unique melee option etc.

It WOULD be nice if they just went ahead and added at least the Hand Flamer and Chainsword at this time as well, given that they'll be readily available with the Jump Captain, who's still a Tacticus model and neither of those weapons would unbalance anything (unlike potentially the Relic Shield depending on what the rules are for it this week).