Updated Mark III + Potential Deredeo

I'm chuffed. I've got a set of plasma cannons ready but wondered if they'd have different arms in the mkIII sprues.

This is an easy fix and solves the vambrace issue easily. Happy camper. Just need to hope my semi- local but very friendly store gets hold of the chunky box now.

2 hours ago, Matrindur said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/12/how-to-model-heavier-weapons-onto-your-mkiii-space-marines/

New article about how the MKIII work with the weapon upgrades. It has been a discussion topic how the MKIII will use the heavy weapons when they only come with MKVI arms and this article confirms there are extra armour plates included in the MKIII kit to glue onto the MKVI arms so they look like MKIII.

This is actually very nice and a better solution that I would have expected

It's a suprisingly elegant solution. Definitely think the heresy plastic range is one of GW's best designed.

I think that's a very nice little solution but it's still not making me like the new Mk III. The design makes sense from the height of the Imperium technology point of view with the Imperium at it's zenith but the previous plastics just look so much more brutal.

2 hours ago, Doghouse said:

I think that's a very nice little solution but it's still not making me like the new Mk III. The design makes sense from the height of the Imperium technology point of view with the Imperium at it's zenith but the previous plastics just look so much more brutal.

Interested by this! What is it about the previous kit you think is more brutal? For me the barrel chest and big knee plates make the newer kit look much more imposing.

20 minutes ago, Jukkiz said:

now i´m wondering, did they make those now MK.3 arms with big round elbow joint to basically mimic MK.6 plates on purpose?

I'd say yes, the body positions are the same as the Mk 6 as well which makes this arm system work.

I have just realised that these are technically Mk V arms because they are Mk VI with the addition of Mk III vambraces. :biggrin:

31 minutes ago, Astartes Consul said:

Interested by this! What is it about the previous kit you think is more brutal? For me the barrel chest and big knee plates make the newer kit look much more imposing.

The newer stuff has a more shaped futuristic look to the armour to me, I think they are going for a more mass manufactured feel but adding a more shapely technically advanced aesthetic. While the helmet is based on traditional designs the old plastic one felt more armoured, cruder and more riveted together along with aspects of the legs and arms with more defined over lapping plates. It's little aspects like the knees changing as well, it's better in a lot of respects because it is more representative of the technology at the time but at the same time feels less cobbled together.

It's probably just a me thing because all these things boil down to personal tastes but the older mark III felt more less refined and less streamlined. It feels more techno barbarian and that the MK II underneath originated on a warn torn world out of necessity. The newer version feels more high tech and streamlined and smoother, not what I would personally associate with a fledgling Imperium.

If I were to look at these new ones from an imaginary historical point of view I'd imagine they were more of a late Great Crusade design. They feel more parade ground to me where as the older ones say more techno barbarian warlords.

20 minutes ago, Doghouse said:

Snip

I agree. I think it's the more rounded shapes overall. The old mk3 seems to have harsher angles throughout the model. Whereas the new one has just a slight slope to everything. The old ones are more brutalist to me.

Apologies if I missed this, joining the thread a bit late, but if the upgrade frame is the same as Mk VI, that implies the ordinary bayonets (which live on the upgrade frame) fit the Phobos bolters of the Mk III, which implies that any spare chain blades I have from my Mk VI sprues should fit the Mk III Phobos bolters too - is that the considered view?

11 minutes ago, LameBeard said:

Apologies if I missed this, joining the thread a bit late, but if the upgrade frame is the same as Mk VI, that implies the ordinary bayonets (which live on the upgrade frame) fit the Phobos bolters of the Mk III, which implies that any spare chain blades I have from my Mk VI sprues should fit the Mk III Phobos bolters too - is that the considered view?

I was thinking the same. I've got 90mk vi and only used 14 chainblades. As such, I've a ton left if I wanted to use them/ move them to someone that would use them.

52 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

I was thinking the same. I've got 90mk vi and only used 14 chainblades. As such, I've a ton left if I wanted to use them/ move them to someone that would use them.

Send some here. I'm in need...:biggrin:

3 hours ago, LameBeard said:

They will fit no problem. Iv'e stuck them to the older Phobos pattern with no issues and the new one isn't that different.

19 hours ago, Astartes Consul said:

As everyone else says, that's a nice bit of work and cleverly done. Good to see.

Might explain the (likely) lack of chain bayonets?   

I'm not entirely sold on there not being chain bayonets yet. The space needed for the Vambraces could fit in the space not being used by the two part studded shoulder pads so it really depends on wether the legs have seperate bits for the shin armour and knee pad like Rann does and I can see that not being needed and I also see foot cables on the Dark Angels wich are usually used to hide the limits of plastic molding, So the fat lady has yet to sing on that one.

13 hours ago, Doghouse said:

I'd say yes, the body positions are the same as the Mk 6 as well which makes this arm system work.

I have just realised that these are technically Mk V arms because they are Mk VI with the addition of Mk III vambraces. :biggrin:

I always saw them as some kind of mark 5 universal heavy load type they don't match mark 6 either the elbow design with the servo ring is closer to mark 2 and 3 but with the vambraces removed and the despoiler variants elbow is less bulky smoother maybe for freedom of movement and the power fist has pretty much a mark 2 elbow as well even got the little guard goes over the exposed bodysuit area. Inspired me to go a little further with my mark 6 Heavy weapons and added hip guards and a heavier mark 6 helmet.

1 minute ago, Xenith said:

Pretty happy with the Mk3 adapters to the weapons kits, good work GW

I assume the special weapons kits can use the mk3 arms as normal from the kit, however the heavy weapons kit unique arms need the adapters?

Yeah the special weapons use the arms from the infantry frames. Only the heavy weapons need the replacement arms.