New Codex combos

Karhedron

Now that we have most of the contents of the new Codex (if not the physical book) available, I thought it would be fun to start seeing what synergies we can put together. I am going to list the Detachment as well as the units/Strats/Enhancements that work together particularly well.

Firestorm Detachment

Forged in Battle Enhancement

Any unit or Leader with Lethal Hits (Lt, Apothecary Biolgis, VanVets)

This is a nice simple one. Once per turn, the bearer's unit can turn a single Hit or Save role into a 6. This will then trigger a Lethal Hit and automatically Wound the target. Any attack can benefit from this but best value comes from powerful hits, preferably with good AP. I think that an Apothecary Biologis leading a squad of Eradicators is probably the best bang for your buck with this Enhancement and forcing through a Melta shot bypasses the increased toughness of most vehicles in 10th. Also, using the second half of the Enhancement to turn a failed save into a 6 will help keep those expensive models alive and kicking a bit longer.

There are several different combos in the new Codex that jump out to me, one that stands out is the with the new Anvil Siege Force and Hellblasters.

Since Hellblasters have "Heavy" on their Plasma Incinerators, if they stand still, they get both +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound for their shooting. Additionally, if they use the "Battle Drill Recall" Strat, they get Sustained Hits 1 and (as long as they don't move) Critical Hits on 5+s to Hit. Combine all this with Oath of Moment for full re-rolls to Hit and you can get up to about 30 x S8 AP-3 Dmg2 hits with the Hellblasters, all with +1 to Wound (making them dangerous even against things like T9+ Vehicles and Monsters).

Aditionally, you can attach an Apothecary to the squad to "resurrect" anyone you might lose to Hazardous tests (or deaths due to enemy attacks) and the Apothecary can carry the "Architect of War" Enhancement to give them Ignore Cover, meaning you get maximum value out of their AP-3 shooting. Finally, with their "For the Chapter" ability and the "Hail of Vengeance" Strat, you have multiple ways to get them to shoot again when they lose models.

Probably the biggest limitation to this concept is that, in order to get maximum value, they have to stand still and thus are limited to their 24" range for targeting the enemy. That said, if you position them centrally where the can dominate a 48" diameter bubble on the board (ideally covering a couple of Objectives), they can in effect create a "no go" zone for your opponent, which he has to either avoid, or risk eating 30 Plasma hits (with +1 to Wound) to the face.

Edited by L30n1d4s

There is a way to move your Hellblasters and have their shooting ‘remain stationary’.  Bring Incursors and an Impulsor, Incusors start in the Impulsor and Scout move 6”.  The Hellblasters can then move up and embark into that Impulsor.  When you fire from the Impulsor, the Impulsor did not move.

Speaking of Impulsors how about more shenanigans, go Black Templars!  Instead of Hellblasters, take a Devastator Squad with 4x Multi-Meltas and an attached Techmarine.  That Impulsors now has 10x Multimelta shots whatever you give the sergeant, whatever is on the Impulsors, and a Forge Bolter!  Plus a 5++ Invulnerable!

5 hours ago, L30n1d4s said:

There are several different combos in the new Codex that jump out to me, one that stands out is the with the new Anvil Siege Force and Hellblasters.

Since Hellblasters have "Heavy" on their Plasma Incinerators, if they stand still, they get both +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound for their shooting. Additionally, if they use the "Battle Drill Recall" Strat, they get Sustained Hits 1 and (as long as they don't move) Critical Hits on 5+s to Hit. Combine all this with Oath of Moment for full re-rolls to Hit and you can get up to about 30 x S8 AP-3 Dmg2 hits with the Hellblasters, all with +1 to Wound (making them dangerous even against things like T9+ Vehicles and Monsters).

Aditionally, you can attach an Apothecary to the squad to "resurrect" anyone you might lose to Hazardous tests (or deaths due to enemy attacks) and the Apothecary can carry the "Architect of War" Enhancement to give them Ignore Cover, meaning you get maximum value out of their AP-3 shooting. Finally, with their "For the Chapter" ability and the "Hail of Vengeance" Strat, you have multiple ways to get them to shoot again when they lose models.

Probably the biggest limitation to this concept is that, in order to get maximum value, they have to stand still and thus are limited to their 24" range for targeting the enemy. That said, if you position them centrally where the can dominate a 48" diameter bubble on the board (ideally covering a couple of Objectives), they can in effect create a "no go" zone for your opponent, which he has to either avoid, or risk eating 30 Plasma hits (with +1 to Wound) to the face.

I like your idea. You could potentially use rapid ingress to bring them on in opponents turn to set up your zone of fire; however, this would only be a good play if you could deploy in to a covered position.

One way to get the Hellblasters into position is to drop the Apothecary and put them in a Drop Pod. If you go first, DS them into position and shoot (with reduced capacity, due to moving, of course), and then from turn 2 on they are able to hold fast and shoot with maximum buffs up. If your opponent goes first, then Rapid Ingress in on their turn and, from Turn 1 onwards, they will be able to stand still and shoot at maximum efficiency.

Edited by L30n1d4s

13 hours ago, chapter master 454 said:

Reivers with grav-chutes in vanguard. You can use their "back to reserve" strat to have 2 squads of them deep strike around the board.

I know, a possible use for reivers!

Reivers are a LOT more useful as carbine-wielding Deep Strikers than as terror troops, IMO. Stick a Phobos LT on them and you've got a deep-striking unit of Precision assassins who can move after shooting. Adding Assault from the Firestorm detachment looks like fun with that unit in particular. Swoop in, kill a few quasi-Egyptian sorcerers, peace out, kill again.

Another good one is Plasma Inceptors in a Firestorm Assault Force.

With +1S for shooting targets within 12", the ability to Deep Strike 3" away from enemy units, a Strat that gives them +1 to Wound, and full rerolls to Wound (due to Twin-Linked) on their S8 AP-3 Dmg3 shooting, they can threaten basically any infantry and even some vehicles (+1 to wound, S9, and full rerolls to Wound all add up, as does Dmg3). 

On top of this, if they ride in a Stormraven, they can use a bunch of the other Firestorm Assault Force strats, including +1 to hit after disembarking, re-embarking during the Fight phase, and jumping out to get an extra round of shooting when your opponent shoots at the Stormraven.

Overall, a pretty powerful and versatile unit, especially in this Detachment (only 230 for a squad of 6, with 18 wounds at T6 and a 3+ armor save)

On 10/10/2023 at 5:51 AM, L30n1d4s said:

One way to get the Hellblasters into position is to drop the Apothecary and put them in a Drop Pod. If you go first, DS them into position and shoot (with reduced capacity, due to moving, of course), and then from turn 2 on they are able to hold fast and shoot with maximum buffs up. If your opponent goes first, then Rapid Ingress in on their turn and, from Turn 1 onwards, they will be able to stand still and shoot at maximum efficiency.

you can also pay for 10 and bring 9, keeping the apoth or other buff character available. 

6 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Aggressors, gravis captain, biologis and a Brutalis in an SR, getting dropped off in the enemy’s DZ, and inceptor’s DSing into the enemy’s DZ.

Interesting idea but a couple of potential drawbacks. The SR only has a transport capacity of 12 menaing you are limited to a 3-man Aggressor squad if you want to add any Characters. Secondly the SR will have to start on the table and it is quite an awkward thing to hide. Most armies will not have a hard time shooting down a SR so this rather relies on getting first turn.

The Space Wolf flyers as well would benefit from that stratagem which is quite handy as Wolves already do really well with TWC in a Stormlance detachment. No underslung Dread but the Stormwolf does have a Transport capacity of 16 meaning you can fit in a full 6-man Aggressor squad and still leave room for a Captain and Apothecary Biologis.

6 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Interesting idea but a couple of potential drawbacks. The SR only has a transport capacity of 12 menaing you are limited to a 3-man Aggressor squad if you want to add any Characters. Secondly the SR will have to start on the table and it is quite an awkward thing to hide. Most armies will not have a hard time shooting down a SR so this rather relies on getting first turn.

My SR always lasted at least 3 turns in 9th which was way more lethal for vehicles, but I’ll take your word for it.

but im pretty sure the BRB states that fliers have to start in strategic reserve, which keeps them safe until turn 2

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

My SR always lasted at least 3 turns in 9th which was way more lethal for vehicles, but I’ll take your word for it.

but im pretty sure the BRB states that fliers have to start in strategic reserve, which keeps them safe until turn 2

Only played it once which is not exactly statistically significant. :wink: But even with some large, tall ruins in the centre, I found keeping the SR in Hover Mode out of LOS was very hard as it is a large model on a tall stand. Even when I chucked on Armour of Contempt, my opponent managed to shoot it down with a Dev squad and a Repulsor without breaking a sweat.

Now I could have used it as a flier which would have kept it safer but that brings its own problems. It cannot come on until T2 and when it does, it can only come on within 6" of a board edge. T3 you can zoom to your target and your units can pile out but since the SR has moved, they cannot charge until T4. They would get into my opponent's DZ faster on foot. :sad:

Personally I think GW went too hard nerfing Flyers in 10th.

On 10/9/2023 at 1:55 PM, CCE1981 said:

There is a way to move your Hellblasters and have their shooting ‘remain stationary’.  Bring Incursors and an Impulsor, Incusors start in the Impulsor and Scout move 6”.  The Hellblasters can then move up and embark into that Impulsor.  When you fire from the Impulsor, the Impulsor did not move.

Speaking of Impulsors how about more shenanigans, go Black Templars!  Instead of Hellblasters, take a Devastator Squad with 4x Multi-Meltas and an attached Techmarine.  That Impulsors now has 10x Multimelta shots whatever you give the sergeant, whatever is on the Impulsors, and a Forge Bolter!  Plus a 5++ Invulnerable!

You might want to check to see if you can embark on a transport that already had someone disembark - pretty sure you can't embark and disembark on the same turn - not sure if that refers to the unit, the transport or both.

Additionally I would expect a quick FAQ for that one to bring back the "units in a transport have the status/modifiers of themselves and the transport" thing we had a while back.