New Codex combos

Karhedron

3 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Idk if this is on topic enough or not, but it seems like there’s a hard lean towards the firestorm detachment, is the firestorm the big winner in the detachment war so far, or is that me?

I'm not sure its necessarily stronger, but its probably the winner in Versatility per Difficulty.  Gladius is more versatile, but requires more investment in characters (Freebie Strat Captains) and brain power juggling/timing Doctrines. At a certain point its just easier/better to take an always-on easily used ability like Firestorm.

Being able to advance and still shoot gives a lot of mobility and map control, that's what I really like about Firestorm !

As an IF player, I tried the Anvil siege Force, but it's not mobile enough to my taste.

And even a strong defence is all about redeploying quickly :LoW:

Firestorm is just the most fun one it appears really, hence popularity with most here it appears. Ironstorm and Gladius are the big tournament bread winners; Gladius because of the enhancement along with versatile tools where as Ironstorm hits like a dump truck thanks to mercy is weaknesss. However with space marines it takes having a good read of the field to take what is best.

However...something I keep looking at doing which is an all list inclusion. Shrike, Callidus and 2 scout squads. It is a 400 point package but gives you 4 units that can be picked up at the end of each of your opponents turns and put back during yours, two of them being able to deep strike as lone model annoyances with their objective being...objectives. Scouts can easily appear in the corners for Investigate and Engage (with Shrike and Callidus covering the other two regardless of turn barring first). However even when they aren't doing objectives you can bring them in at places just to take pot shots and if given the chance, shrike and the callidus could take out lighter targets, maybe even an exposed character.

10 hours ago, Dracos said:

My experience with even medium level amounts of terrain, is that with a Detachment like Vanguard I don't need vehicles which frees me up to spend more points on units. 

That’s interesting, in my experience after about the same number of games is that Infantry is almost useless.  As soon as it pops it’s head out  a stiff breeze kills them whether it is Gravis or Tacitus.   People keep telling me that I underutilize Armor of Contempt, but when they overkill a 6-man Eradicator squad by four models and still have shooting from the same unit I don’t see how it would help.  I do think I have been using cover wrong.

17 minutes ago, CCE1981 said:

That’s interesting, in my experience after about the same number of games is that Infantry is almost useless.  As soon as it pops it’s head out  a stiff breeze kills them whether it is Gravis or Tacitus.   People keep telling me that I underutilize Armor of Contempt, but when they overkill a 6-man Eradicator squad by four models and still have shooting from the same unit I don’t see how it would help.  I do think I have been using cover wrong.

Also totally meta dependent. Your local meta means more than anything else.

Anyone else considering a vanguard with a fair few tough-as-nails units (aggressors, terminators, VVets with a Sanguinary Priest if playing Blood Angels)?

Infiltrating a unit of aggressors with The Blade Driven Deep is an obvious combo, but being able to pick up a unit for a CP eliminates the possibility of having a slow, but dangerous shooting unit (like eradicators perhaps) being stuck out of position after having done their job. 

Edited by Paladin777

Yes, I think ironically that Vanguard benefits Gravis more than Phobos. Plus the whole of your army getting stealth protection outside 12" is pretty tasty.

Everyone is going crazy over the offensive capabilities of Firestorm but I think Vanguard is going to be a real sleeper hit. Add in a few units with native movement shenanigans like the new Scouts and your opponent will spend half the battle chasing shadows. 

-cough- like centurions? Using the benefit of being Infantry to hide behind ruins turn 1 and being able to move out and unload firepower when needed?

Vanguard does unlike most other detachments however enhances specifically phobos units and Guerilla Tactics does have a lot of power when you remember that Invictor Warsuits are Phobos units so you can pick 2 of them up off the table, pick up your scouts by ability, pick up shrike and callidus and then just redeploy a whole chunk of change of your army for kicks.

Not to mention it does have the Shadow War Veteran upgrade which is pricy at 30pts but you can if you end up with spare points in that price range put it on a combi-weapon lieutenant and now disrupt multiple battle tactics. In a mirror match with marines of any flavour, you can now axe their own armour of contempt and neuter a damage strat.

If vanguard does become potent...just remember...to pick up that phone...because I called it!

3 hours ago, Paladin777 said:

Anyone else considering a vanguard with a fair few tough-as-nails units (aggressors, terminators, VVets with a Sanguinary Priest if playing Blood Angels)?

Infiltrating a unit of aggressors with The Blade Driven Deep is an obvious combo, but being able to pick up a unit for a CP eliminates the possibility of having a slow, but dangerous shooting unit (like eradicators perhaps) being stuck out of position after having done their job. 

With my own version of this, I’m using Bladeguard with Drive the Blade Deep. They are enough of a threat they should deter an opponent from focusing on the two units of Aggressors advancing toward flank objectives the Eliminators infiltrated into. Terminators will deep strike to reinforce the Bladeguard with fire support from Inceptors and Eradicators. 

my main problem at moment is settling on Characters beside the must have Combi-lieutenant 

1 hour ago, Dracos said:

my main problem at moment is settling on Characters beside the must have Combi-lieutenant 

If you are running Bladeguard then I feel that a Judiciar is almost mandatory. Fights First is just too good a rule to pass up on a unit with that amount of damage potential. It also mitigates the risk of your opponent getting the first turn. Sure they may be able to charge your BGVs with something nasty but you will still be hitting them first.

Edited by Karhedron

Mine's a similar idea. 10 strong heavy intercessors (with captain for melee support and free AoC) taking center of board, max squad of aggressors (accompanied by a biologis with Drive the Blade Deep) infiltrating to an opportune location on one flank, and a max squad of VVets with shields and a sanguinary priest (who gives them -2AP and a 5+++, making them significantly more tanky and Killy!) on the other flank (they're fast enough to not need additional movement most of the time).

deep strike terminators and bring in eradicators from reserves where needed. 

my problem is that I've got 55 points left, but I don't know what to spend it on with what I've got!

Edited by Paladin777

59 minutes ago, Paladin777 said:

Mine's a similar idea. 10 strong heavy intercessors (with captain for melee support and free AoC) taking center of board, max squad of aggressors (accompanied by a biologis with Drive the Blade Deep) infiltrating to an opportune location on one flank, and a max squad of VVets with shields and a sanguinary priest (who gives them -2AP and a 5+++, making them significantly more tanky and Killy!) on the other flank (they're fast enough to not need additional movement most of the time).

deep strike terminators and bring in eradicators from reserves where needed. 

my problem is that I've got 55 points left, but I don't know what to spend it on with what I've got!

Scout Squad

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

If you are running Bladeguard then I feel that a Judiciar is almost mandatory. Fights First is just too good a rule to pass up on a unit with that amount of damage potential. It also mitigates the risk of your opponent getting the first turn. Sure they may be able to charge your BGVs with something nasty but you will still be hitting them first.

Good choice.  Ive been debating him a Chaplain or Captain

Edited by Dracos

2 hours ago, Dracos said:

Scout Squad

Now if only I had one, and/or had time to squeeze a squad in before the next RTT in mid January! 

before you ask, I've got 2 squads, 1 character, and a half-dozen arm-swaps already in the queue that take priority!

Edited by Paladin777

4 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I agree, except if you're Salamanders, then Adrax is an equally valid choice to the Judiciar. I like a Lieutenant on this unit for the look, but it's totally optional.

1 hour ago, Lemondish said:

I agree, except if you're Salamanders, then Adrax is an equally valid choice to the Judiciar. I like a Lieutenant on this unit for the look, but it's totally optional.

Agreed. If you're playing Salamanders (or simply want to use him I guess), then Adrax is excellent in BGV. Since he's a Captain, you can still attach a Lt. or BG.Ancient to the squad which also gives the squad the option of having an Enhancement.

Without Adrax though, a Justiciar is a nice and cheap(er) option.
He might not help the BGV punch harder, but at least he might give you a situation where your BGV actually gets to... punch to begin with. 

It will take some practice, but a Judiciar attached to Bladeguard with Blade Driven Deep has some interesting counter play.  Tease a phobos unit for charge declaration, and move the teased unit to where the Bladeguard can Heroically Intervene.  Since the charge is declared your opponent must make the move if he rolls high enough.  You then ambush the charging unit with a Strikes first unit.

Judiciar with Bladeguard using Blade Driven Deep is a unit I am testing with a simple premise: they sit just in the middle of the board hiding somewhere and all the while the opponent has to make the choice of exposing themselves to remove this issue or try and commit enough to take them down.

Note that charging them isn't an option due to Fights First from the Judiciar making the standard method of handling such a unit not really possible and haing 4++ aids in making them harder to remove.

Sometimes I feel no-one notices

On 10/22/2023 at 1:43 PM, SkimaskMohawk said:

How is this happening if they don't get charged? Rapid embarkation isn't allowed on units that disembarked during the same turn. 

I wasnt even referring to the strat as I forgot about it. The Repulsors ability, Emergency Combat Embarkation, has no such restrictions other then Engagement Range and every model needs to be within 3". Enemy wants to charge the unit, you put the unit back in its safety bus. No strat needed

13 hours ago, Malakithe said:

I wasnt even referring to the strat as I forgot about it. The Repulsors ability, Emergency Combat Embarkation, has no such restrictions other then Engagement Range and every model needs to be within 3". Enemy wants to charge the unit, you put the unit back in its safety bus. No strat needed

The restriction is BRB generic but limited to the same phase - so unlikely but possibly if you disembarked in their charge phase...  Edit:  OR if they have an out of phase charge move like an all melee army getting to charge as an overwatch reaction.. 

Edited by Tacitus