Daemons of the Ruinstorm Army List

7 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

So, while some "Ætheric Domains" are obviously Khorne, Slaanesh and Nurgle, it's not fully clear which is meant to be Tzeentch.
Anyone got any guess as to which it is?

Based on the Chaos star seen in a previous 30k PDF (I forget which) where Khorne, Slaanesh, and Nurgle are on the diagonals, I'm personally going with Tzeentch being Infernal Tempest.

Seems like a fun list with plenty of conversion opportunity. Never played 1.0 so can't compare to that. Cor'Bax seems insane, T8/9, IWND 4+ and 5+++, rerolling, and lets others within range reroll also? It'd take a lot of dedicated special weapons to bring him down. 

=][= tidied up some double posts =][=

It is at least positive that the designers' notes are relatively honest about how and why the list has been fairly comprehensively reduced. Might have been better to really optimise the list to be taken as an Allied Detachment or via an Esoterist though, if the intention is make it work better within the rules of the game at large.

9 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

What I thought till I saw thier stats. Cavalry has low str only 2 wounds and save of 5+ and only standard mook daemon weapons and no hammer of wrath doesn't really represent an angry brass bull made of pure malice with a bloodletter on top. Harriers are like your furies and what not. Beasts have 3 wounds and str 5 but only daemon armaments and again with the 5+ and no hammer of wrath, good for flesh hounds and beasts of nurgle and flamers and whatnot. Easier for me to picture them being a little slow rather than weak. Honestly I kinda wish they were looser with the upgrades like warp forged flesh to get them to 3+ base saves.

Kinda interesting trying to see where existing daemon units fit anyway.

Although absolutely understandable to do that the designers made clear that the daemons in HH are not those of the four goods but more or less chaos in a more, well, chaotic form and not so standardised. 

Which I like by the way.

I like the vision of a daemon army which is totally different than the ones known from 40k.

Makes it more scary and unpredictable for the opponent and should be a huge sandbox for people who like to scratchbuild things.

9 hours ago, stretch_135 said:

So you can't take an Allied detachment and Ruinstorm Daemons can't be Allies either. So bring a couple of Troops or Elites via an Estoterist or bring pure Daemons. Renders all those Seekers I put together to run alongside my ECs useless.

Remember that in the new book EC get more chaosy stuff as well. Maybe you find something there of your liking.

1 hour ago, Astartes Consul said:

It is at least positive that the designers' notes are relatively honest about how and why the list has been fairly comprehensively reduced. Might have been better to really optimise the list to be taken as an Allied Detachment or via an Esoterist though, if the intention is make it work better within the rules of the game at large.

I am torn on this one. Like I said I think it is a nice thing that they go for a narrative here and don't feed the competition side of players with this. 

9 hours ago, stretch_135 said:

So you can't take an Allied detachment and Ruinstorm Daemons can't be Allies either. So bring a couple of Troops or Elites via an Estoterist or bring pure Daemons. Renders all those Seekers I put together to run alongside my ECs useless.

I am hoping the Fulgrim & corrupted EC rules will allow a bit more synergy there. 

One thing I find interesting is the article's following statement from Andy Hoare

One last thing – this list by its very nature exists on the fringes of the setting, and previous editions have pushed the limits of what the game is designed to represent. This iteration has changed significantly from the previous form, making it less extreme and generally more conventional in playstyle. We still recommend limiting its use to narrative or relaxed games rather than matched play against strangers or at more competitive events, but if you do want to field it in such a context, check with the organiser first to get their take on its suitability for their event.

That's interesting, given how these terms are used in the rulebook - perhaps contradictory to how many players might use these terms

Screenshot_20231011-2009442.png.bf115a3bebbafc1799ca2c0ecb2c41b1.png

Screenshot_20231011-201056.thumb.png.41585e5789c18dd5b560aeaed9db4293.png

It's almost a question of what is narrative play in heresy for players - do people view their default mode of play as "narrative" - or indeed "relaxed" (to use Hoare's cognomen above)? Or are they more "matched", ie "competitive"?

11 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

Yeah kinda heavy handed. The only really scary stuff is the Behemoths and Sovereign, Arch Daemons. The rest should all be fair game for summoning or allies they def won't break the meta. Could always run the Seekers as beasts though.

Honestly, I'm not all that impressed with the behemoth or the arch Daemon. I agree with the sovereign, but the daemon brutes stand out for me. The rest of it besides the other two HQ units and corbax look very unappealing.

The whole conversation of matched vs. narrative is weird for 30k. You'll have a group that will staunchly maintain the 30k has only ever been narrative focussed and people will identify as narrative players, only to have the narrative event at LVO flooded with triple dread lists.

37 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Oh yeah, the article also mentioned changes to some of the other PDFs we've already got.

What actually changed in those?

I haven't seen anyone mentioning it at all.

They haven't been updated yet; I think in the past Friday was a day some faqs/errata occured, so maybe one forthcoming?

I really also imagine we'll see more - lesser - daemons added into the bound document.

Edited by Petitioner's City

45 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Oh yeah, the article also mentioned changes to some of the other PDFs we've already got.

What actually changed in those?

I haven't seen anyone mentioning it at all.

Looks like they updated the previous PDF with allied Daemons, as well as the one with the Daemon Engines in it. Not sure of the actual changes.

Looks to me at first glance that you can take the Kytan, etc. in a Ruinstorm list? Or they copy pasted Aetheric Dominion in from there? It's kind of confusing, I don't know. Maybe it didn't change at all and I just need more coffee.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Just watched the Outer Circle for his opinion on the matter. In a nutshell: Less options for daemons now and most of their units won´t be able to tackle dreadnoughts as well as elite terminators with thunder hammers. Seems to me that dreadnoughts would have been served better by staying vehicles and not turned into monsters.

Anyway, my 40K Daemon army is fully painted and only waiting for my 30K IH force to catch up for some single-player fun scenarios.

54 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Looks like they updated the previous PDF with allied Daemons, as well as the one with the Daemon Engines in it. Not sure of the actual changes.

Looks to me at first glance that you can take the Kytan, etc. in a Ruinstorm list? Or they copy pasted Aetheric Dominion in from there? It's kind of confusing, I don't know. Maybe it didn't change at all and I just need more coffee.

Thank for sharing this!

Screenshot_20231012-003559.thumb.png.75e9f8b0fd4d3a3ba642140fb09afcd7.png

Ohmn-Mat v1.1

Tredecimmia v1.1

Uh so they updated the dominions and added corbax...but not the weapons or points?

Kinda weird that the ally Khabanda is basically way better at 50 points less, but who am I to judge the intern and their Nottingham pub game bubble.

Maybe it has something to do with the new PDFs being wayyyy bigger in file size; adding a few more extra rules would have inflated the entire thing to a terabyte or something.

1 hour ago, NinjaBadger7 said:

I'm still deciding whether Daemons is worth investing in as a second army (after marines).

Love the chance to being creative with the models but reluctant if nowhere allows them/provide a good experience

If you are into it, with a bit of planning, it can net you an army you can use in 40k and AoS as well.

3 hours ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

So the daemons no longer use warp portals to enter play? Is this a good or bad thing? 

You have the option of a wings lord (Any lord with the ability, but wings for max speed makes most sense) opening his hand in the shooting phase to make a portal as it were after making a full move forward.  You're limited in what can arrive from the portals though. in total units that is.  So the main goal would be to fit that bill of "For each X, you can put another demon unit into reserves."  Like everything else has become in 2.0, they can charge after arriving from the portal (reserves).

That's the closest equivalence I could find.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

I mean, marines have half a dozen army wide deep strike/outflank methods and custodes have a bunch too, i cant imagine a daemon army would be too much more abusive. The portals were fun but i kind miss the possessed mortals/astartes units as a fun project.