Kill Team: Salvation (Striking Scorpions vs Primaris Scouts)

All this talk of cake makes me hungry :p

On the subject of another speculation-discussion thats going round and round about this season :

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/12/whats-new-in-kill-team-salvation/

Lots of emphasis on vertical advantage and special movement advantages... like flight. The season campaign map also has a lot of areas that is only accesible for flight... but I dont know if the campaign map works so literal... no point in firing that discussion up without more info first though.

What the campaign map really makes me curious about is... if we will get Admech boats terrain (F1, E1, A4/B4 )

ugTKmBcwNFijsvWP.jpg

I know its just an image ( and a rather abstract one at that)... but it would be a very interesting 40k terrain piece to have a "civilian" element like that. ( like the imperium train that was once made ? Ive seen some rare pictures but wasnt "around" the hobby at the time... however I rarely see people talk about it.)

2 hours ago, TheMawr said:

Lots of emphasis on vertical advantage and special movement advantages... like flight. The season campaign map also has a lot of areas that is only accesible for flight... but I dont know if the campaign map works so literal... no point in firing that discussion up without more info first though.

We've seen the Night Lords already, and they're not Raptors.
Equally last time I checked Mandrakes can't fly either.

Not to say that whatever the S3W3,4&5 boxes bring won't have some fliers, but I doubt we'll pivot back into season of sky again.

5 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Not to say that whatever the S3W3,4&5 boxes bring won't have some fliers, but I doubt we'll pivot back into season of sky again.

Well...we do have Valrak's swooping hawk v Vespid rumours...

46 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Thats stating a big obvious fact I ( and I believe no one ) ever contested... its clear that there was never going to be an entire season completely set in the sky, with only flyers in a game where the majority of existing kill teams cannot participate.

My speculative theory ( and, honestly my hope* ) still is we get a suprise extra box soon, seperate from the seasonal KT boxes representing a sidegame within the seasons setting.  Swooping hawks vs Vespids in the box, with rules or extra reboxed boxsets for other all flyer teams, with wich you can play in the aforementioned Bheta-Decima Infiltration campaign, as well as regular flyer options for established kill teams. And for me this article adds fuel on that theory.

Just like how the Ashes of Faith rumors where first unclear if they where a regular game or not. ( Valrak just relayed the rumors and eventually even theorised he might have misinterpreted and it was Striking scorpions vs Inquisition.. just to indicate how the rumors he gets, while true, lose context.)

And the reason for even discussing/having the theoretical standpoint has always been to make sense of rumors from the same source of the very Nightlords vs Mandrakes box, its an innocent mind exercise so I dont really get why it seems to push people's buttons so often. ( my apologies if I misinterpret your reaction as being a bit snappy.)

Ofcourse the biggest "sense" is that the rumors are wrong.. but wrong/right without any nuance is also the most boring form of conversation.

*Because, quite simply, it would mean more kill teams + more 40k releases beyond the regular schedule ;)

Edited by TheMawr
Explained my hope

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

It wasn't intended to be snappy, rather more of a statement that the idea of a "Fliers only" Box or Two can probably be put to rest now.

I wouldn't be so quick to call that. I reckon we'll know by Adepticon what one of the box 3 teams will be, since they seem to be teasing one team ahead of the proper box itself. This means we'll get the box 2 full reveal in January at LVO.

10 hours ago, TheMawr said:

All this talk of cake makes me hungry :p

On the subject of another speculation-discussion thats going round and round about this season :

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/12/whats-new-in-kill-team-salvation/

What the campaign map really makes me curious about is... if we will get Admech boats terrain (F1, E1, A4/B4 )

ugTKmBcwNFijsvWP.jpg

I know its just an image ( and a rather abstract one at that)... but it would be a very interesting 40k terrain piece to have a "civilian" element like that. ( like the imperium train that was once made ? Ive seen some rare pictures but wasnt "around" the hobby at the time... however I rarely see people talk about it.)

Expectations

ugTKmBcwNFijsvWP.jpg

Reality

image.thumb.png.d4ef1df8daeabaed7f04f1ec3954dd26.png

I feel like it would be a lot less trash if they just added a handrail sprue. But no.

We know you know what railings are GW.

apjdJBiEnRm4uFby.jpg

I'm with you on wanting the interesting terrain though, like civilian vehicles etc.
Necromunda has ventured into interesting pseudo terrain vehicles. I don't really know how the rules work, but they look purposely traversable.

The terrain is very lack luster and lazy. Would adding some interesting accessory bits like control consoles, railing, ramps etc. really bankrupt GW ? I really hope it's not a glimpse of what to expect for KT from now on, at least I would prefer they just do made to order KT terrain boxes with each new versus box of KT. Would not mind getting my hands on another set of Sector Imperialis terrain.

man I'm really torn, I want the scouts, I don't know if I can be bothered with the scropions though... I have a few random bits of eldar lying around but realistically wont ever make an eldar army.

Just kind of sucks to think that as a standalone kit, scouts wont be around for ages, maybe another 5-6 months.

18 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

man I'm really torn, I want the scouts, I don't know if I can be bothered with the scropions though... I have a few random bits of eldar lying around but realistically wont ever make an eldar army.

Just kind of sucks to think that as a standalone kit, scouts wont be around for ages, maybe another 5-6 months.

Be cheaper in the long run to buy the box and sell off the scorpions based on price predictions.

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

See, I'm in the other camp - not particularly interested in the scouts, but want the scorpions and their KT rules... I'll probably try and pick up the box and if i can be bothered sell off the scouts

I typed up a post after the battlereport article that scorpions seem tiny to me, but now the blades of khaine article confirms it. After some looking around I think they are the same size of the newer eldar elements I do not have... and I "accidentally" only have the exceptions not the rule ( Banshees, Ynnari triumvirate, corsairs )

Meaning Im in the boat of only wanting the bare striking scorpions heads currently...

Blades of Khaine also seems to be only Striking scorpions, Dire avengers and Howling banshees.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/13/mix-and-match-aspect-warriors-to-create-the-deadliest-blades-of-khaine-kill-team/

1 hour ago, Doctor Perils said:

See, I'm in the other camp - not particularly interested in the scouts, but want the scorpions and their KT rules... I'll probably try and pick up the box and if i can be bothered sell off the scouts

You two should get together as you both want the opposite halves if you're in the same country :)

2 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

Be cheaper in the long run to buy the box and sell off the scorpions based on price predictions.

Or if you value your time, just be the one to buy someone else's part out off ebay.
Provided they aren't being scalped.

2 minutes ago, LSM said:

Hmmm... Striking Scorpions are a 4+ save (unless WarCom has whoopsied).

In Killteam, that's pretty normal! The KT and 40k stats are now entirely divorced, it's not like old KT which was very small 40k :smile:

I like the ability to mix and match, perhaps the KT devs have been playing some Star Wars Shatterpoint! :laugh:

44 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

Blades of Khaine also seems to be only Striking scorpions, Dire avengers and Howling banshees.

Kinda makes sense in a way.

It's the 2 primary "Melee" Aspect Shrines and the closest Aspect Warrior to a basic Guardian.

So this fits with it being the "Blades" of Khaine.

(New Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks would've been nice tho)

15 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Kinda makes sense in a way.

It's the 2 primary "Melee" Aspect Shrines and the closest Aspect Warrior to a basic Guardian.

So this fits with it being the "Blades" of Khaine.

(New Warp Spiders or Swooping Hawks would've been nice tho)

They'll come, and may eventually be errata'ed into the kill team 

I feel like a team of 8 Scorpions with 3APL and 3+ saves would've had way too much pressure for shooting teams to deal with, so a 4+ is perfectly reasonable, especially when you acknowledge that the Scorpions are meant to compete with Avengers and Banshees for slots. Remember that they're likely going to have some conceal shenanigans protect them as they advance up the table, to evoke the sneaky side of their lore.

Besides, armour is irrelevant in melee anyway, which is where they want to be most.

1 hour ago, Legionary Pallas said:

I feel like a team of 8 Scorpions with 3APL and 3+ saves would've had way too much pressure for shooting teams to deal with, so a 4+ is perfectly reasonable, especially when you acknowledge that the Scorpions are meant to compete with Avengers and Banshees for slots. Remember that they're likely going to have some conceal shenanigans protect them as they advance up the table, to evoke the sneaky side of their lore.

Besides, armour is irrelevant in melee anyway, which is where they want to be most.

I agree. This isn’t the first disconnect between 40k and KT rules we’ve seen. Kasrkin are BS4 in KT, BS3 in 40k. The Kroot Dvorgite Skinner is AP-2 in KT, AP-1 in 40k