New Necron Overlord

While I don't have anything against the model itself, I agree with others that this would have been better used as a special occasion model rather than a generic character, a multipart Overlord with all the options, a new Necron Lord o a new Lokhust Lord would have been way better options.

Looks like a sculpt left over from last edition, but I like it fine. The crossed arms 'mummy' pose is a good idea, and works well with all the busy energy streamers action.

I think the problem is you can't see the body so well. Maybe if the necron was an eye catching colour and the swirls were neutral, eg. black and white digital static effect.

9 minutes ago, irlLordy said:

If its a new datasheet or wargear option, then people would have gotten really annoyed if it was locked behind a limited ed model, so I can see why they wouldn't want to do that.

To counter that: they've released limited models before with unique wargear options or new datasheets. They're clearly not bothered by using that as a FOMO tactic. I hate it, but GW don't really care as long as it makes money.

Models are sculpted before rules - this model was sculpted because they thought it was cool/would sell way back in 9th, or even 8th edition (we know that because of their lead times and the rumour engine image). It wasn't sculpted to fit a wargear option written by the design team. So they could have made the wargear option one that doesn't need a specific model to represent it (and by my reading of the WHC article, that might even be the case). Or they could have just not made it a wargear option at all and left it as an Overlord with a cool effect. Other models have effects without having specific wargear. 

Most importantly, it's not new. It's an amalgamation of the rules from the Nephrekh Dynasty's Translocation Beams and the name from the Crusade Relic Translocation Shroud, both of which are from 9th edition.

3 minutes ago, marspeople said:

What about the Destroyer Lord and the Destroyers?

They are ancient. Surely they aren't gonna leave them?

I hope they aren't, but I think they will.

1 hour ago, Lexington said:

It's a neat idea, but...like...you basically can't even tell what the model is even supposed to be at first glance, which seems like a problem.

Yeah.

I thought this was a cryptek at first. And considering that I was hoping for a new Orikan, I'm doubly disappointed...

I guess you can use the rules he'll come with to proxy as a Wraith-form Destroyer Lord, which is cool, but... yeah.

Dollars to donuts says he doesn't come with a resurrection orb, either.

1 hour ago, Lexington said:

It's a neat idea, but...like...you basically can't even tell what the model is even supposed to be at first glance, which seems like a problem.

Yeah.

I thought this was a cryptek at first. And considering that I was hoping for a new Orikan, I'm doubly disappointed...

I guess you can use the rules he'll come with to proxy as a Wraith-form Destroyer Lord, which is cool, but... yeah.

Dollars to donuts says he doesn't come with a resurrection orb, either.

3 hours ago, Toxichobbit said:

Just noticed, he's translocating onto a tactical rock :facepalm:

I don't get why GW think it's funny to keep doing that. Do they want to keep annoying their community?

i think you might be a tad overestimating the universality of your disdain for the tactical rock. There's a very large silent majority that either do not care or heck, even likes them.

I like the Model, I'll get it cause it's a nice model, will be painting the "energy effect" not in green though :sweat: 

What everyone else has said is pretty much true,... why so damn long on the release schedule though :confused: as stated he would've sold like hot cakes when Necrons got revamped... and yes so many other models should have been in front of this are Overlords the Necron Equivalent of a Primaris Lt :tongue:

M.  

4 minutes ago, Mumeishi said:

I like the Model, I'll get it cause it's a nice model, will be painting the "energy effect" not in green though :sweat: 

What everyone else has said is pretty much true,... why so damn long on the release schedule though :confused: as stated he would've sold like hot cakes when Necrons got revamped... and yes so many other models should have been in front of this are Overlords the Necron Equivalent of a Primaris Lt :tongue:

M.  

They always save a model or two for the next round when they do things like this.

The Sorcerer for CSM coming out in Psychic Awakening immediately comes to mind there.

I really like the fact that they're trying something kinda experimental and creative here.

However, does anybody have extensive experience with those models that rely on these thin spindly bits for their structural support? I'd be concerned about fragility and longevity with all these little swirly free-floating components.

53 minutes ago, Sothalor said:

I really like the fact that they're trying something kinda experimental and creative here.

However, does anybody have extensive experience with those models that rely on these thin spindly bits for their structural support? I'd be concerned about fragility and longevity with all these little swirly free-floating components.

I built the Light of Eltharion, which imo is the number one spindly model out there; the assembly is much slower if you want to play it safe since plastic affected by the cement takes a while to harden again. Meaning that between each step you can wait up to 45 minutes to be absolutely sure. But, once everything is done and cured you can handle it like a normal mini, though some of the thinner connections are prone to bending. Then again if it was resin it'll probably just straight up snap.

Edited by Nephaston

13 hours ago, Sothalor said:

Yesss...my good friend ControllEric kinda dragged us to play Age of Sigmar, so I picked that Ghostly faction, for speedpainting.  They are literally ALL spindly bits.  And they're like the Spirit Hosts where 3 top-heavy Ghosts all emerge out of a half-buried Skeleton.  Those I had to magnetise and transport in a small metal case.

Those ones, I actually snapped a piece (which glued back together seamlessly) when I clipped it off the sprue...but it was like a wisp, and I glued it back seamlessly; you know how you see all your minis' faults even if no one does, but even I can't tell which one it was.  One time, one individual ghost just fell off, like the glue wore off, and I slapped it back on, it was derpy at the time but it was perfectly fine.

The above were the most spindly, worst cases.  Here's a more recent one, from the recent Call To Arms (pls remember to vote), relevant to your interests:

IMG_20230929_221713.thumb.jpg.7072b4d49d3becb45a7ed81bcf79e1af.jpg

So I got this AoS Banshee, an easy-to-build snap fit model.  She had her own tactical base; instead of tactical rock she has a literal tactical gravestone, where she fits nicely with 2 prongs at the bottom, one at the front of her wispy dress, one in the back.  I kinda inserted her into a Scarab Swarm for an easy conversion.

Here's the thing: she's not actually glued in.  I was going to do so, I even had some green stuff molded into the base to support her, but you know when you're fitting stuff before you glue it?  She just kinda snapped into place between the Scarab bits, and she affixed herself.

She's that strong, structurally.  Gameplay-wise, heh, but I like how she's low-maintenance.  She's so strong I just pick her up by her head, she carries the Swarm base with her like chopsticks, I'm using her to measure the 5 inches her Necron Warriors unit can move, so I'm not being dainty with her.  And she holds.

So I think it's really 2 things that will keep this new Necron Lord's structural integrity:

• GW plastic.  It IS like the strongest in the market without being brittle.  That's their signature sauce
  • The Tactical Rock base might actually serve a structural purpose, I just took another look

image.png.903de66c1e509e9b93210f5a25d13104.png

Those factors together give me some confidence, especially having done things like the Spirit Hosts.  But it's exactly the right question.

+++ What I Think Of the Actual Model +++

I know why they use this particular paint scheme, they want to highlight the separation/difference of the Necron model with the Energy Swirls.

But if (when, tbh) I get this model, I'd paint it so the Necron and Energy Swirl kinda combine.  Like the glow of the energy reflects on the Necron's metallic body, while some of the Tetris blocks in the Energy Swirls would be metal, like parts of the Necron body being transported in the teleportation.  Or maybe paint it like the Shield Sparring session between Paul Atreides and Captain Picard in the old Dune film:

How do the shields work in “Dune”? - Quora

I legit think there is to play with in this model that we may not be seeing until we got it physically before us.  Precisely because it is a very experimental model, as you say.

Edited by N1SB