Night Lords Kill Team

Love the NL's, hell, give them a character model and you're set. Would be a good formula for all the traitor legions, big upgrade sprue + character model would go a long way i reckon. 

Still salty Harkon Worldclaimer was a Black Legion character instead of a Night Lord one, but then again, theirs plenty other characters from the backstory that would be better than a new guy. Throw Decimus/Acerbus or the Painted Count in there!

But that's just me wishlisting. All in all, good reveal show, better than i thought it would be actually, wish we'd go to see the (speculated) Mandrakes which are fighting the NL's though.

It will be interesting to see if the other Chaos legions actually get upgrades in the next year or if this is one of those instances where GW has a metric ton of stuff they could release ready to go and just don’t like the Eldar wave that’s coming this year that’s been done since before Covid. 

Now that is how you do an upgrade sprue. They really need to redo the loyalist upgrade sprues at some point as the primaris ones are just bad in comparison. In fact, this would be a great upgrade template for all first founding (loyalist and traitot) bar those that already have some stuff like DG etc.

Edited by Subtleknife

3 minutes ago, Subtleknife said:

Now that is how you do an upgrade sprue. They really need to redo the loyalist upgrade sprues at some point as the primaris ones are just bad in comparison. In fact, this would be a great upgrade template for all first founding (loyalist and traitot) bar those that already have some stuff like DG etc.

Since we are finally mostly finished with generic marines and beginning with the chapter specific stuff starting with dark angels, I wouldn't be surprised if at least the three big ones get a upgrade sprue like the BT or Cadian one with their codex. 

10 minutes ago, Matrindur said:

Since we are finally mostly finished with generic marines and beginning with the chapter specific stuff starting with dark angels, I wouldn't be surprised if at least the three big ones get a upgrade sprue like the BT or Cadian one with their codex. 

BT upgrades went too far. It even contains visualised "relic" bits in rulebook(currently not exist in 10th), e.g. "Aurelian shroud". BT players are happy, but I highly doubt the future upgrades for other chapters would still follow this design.

41 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Still think it's a bit naff it's a second Kill Team based on the same kit, but no disputing they look absolutely great. Hope this sets the tone for future Legion upgrade kits!

I feel like the upgrade sprue came first and then they made a Kill Team out of it. In that respect, I can't get too bothered if it means more Legions get upgrade sprues.

4 hours ago, Subtleknife said:

Let's let the Chaos Legions get their first ones before Primaris get another... 

Honestly not a huge fan - reminds me of an upscaled version of the old Night Lords upgrade kit with metal bits. They’re so overburdened with bits, I can’t help but imagine the silly misadventures they’d get into…

”Augh! Run! The Sons of Curze are upon us!”

”Yes, foolish worshippers of a dead god, we have come to claim y - aw, hell, cloak got stuck on a gargoyle again. Rrgh…ragh! Got it! Uh, anyway, yes, I am savoring your terror, mortals, now I shall strike the killing bl -“

*KLONG*

”…aw, dammit with these friggin’ helmet wings! Like being seven feet tall doesn’t make doors awkward enough!”

”Need some help over there, terrifying specter of the night? We’re still very scared. Honest.”

“I’m going back to bed…”

For extra immersion when playing with this team, make sure you play in the dark, wear night-vision goggles, and whisper "preysight" when you turn them on. :biggrin:

Note: Hiding behind the curtains or under the table to jump-scare your opponent is an optional addition.

I know I'll get some pelters for this opinion, but I'm not really sold. I generally like everything that comes with the upgrade sprue, but I don't think the Legionary kit makes a good base for Night Lords. At least not the Night Lords I have in my head. There's too much trim to the point where the brass almost becomes almost the primary colour rather than the midnight blue. Which is then exacerbated by all the flesh and additional bits further detracting from the focus on the blue. Again I think the upgrade sprue itself is good and a single squad to go alongside the Red Corsairs I've had in limbo will look nice but I wouldn't want to build an army around them. 

I'm going to hold out hope for 30K plastic upgrade sets for the legions which I hope will offer more of what I want aesthetically. I also think this would be a better solution than going to the trouble of making a full upgrade set for every non-god aligned legion in both 30K and 40K. 

The Chaos legions are so different from one another that’s it’s challenging to use a generic kit + upgrade spruce formula to accurately depict them. I think they’ve done a good job, it’s just that we’re spoilt with the amount of kits GW produce now days and I think that Night Lord in particular would have been better served by a kit designed from scratch.

Edited by Master Commander Ajax