Updated 40k Codex Release schedule

5 hours ago, Plaguecaster said:

Also yay both DG and Daemons at least  another year until codex how great, looks like they'll be dragging out codex books again feel bad for whoever is the poor sap with last couple of codex books that likely will only get month or 2 of use before edition changes again

The past edition of Age of Sigmar* had the following (rough) release schedule for its battletomes:

• Launch +3 months: Stormcast Eternals, Orc Warclans
  • L+6: Maggotkin of Nurgle
  • L+9: Fyreslayers, Idoneth Deepkin
  • L+11: Nighthaunt, Daughters of Khaine
  • L+12: Skaven, Sylvaneth
  • L+17: Disciples of Tzeentch, Lumineth Realm-Lords, Sons of Behemat
  • L+18: Ogre Mawtribes
  • L+20: Slaves to Darkness
  • L+21: Beasts of Chaos, Gloomspite Gitz
  • L+22: Kharadron Overlords, Blades of Khorne, Hedonites of Slaanesh
  • L+23: Ossiarch Bonereapers, Soulblight Gravelords
  • L+25: Seraphon

So that's all but two of its factions getting their books by (about) the two-year mark, with only Cities of Sigmar and Flesheater Courts after that point (and both of those have received large scale revamps of their lines). And with the way they really fired them out there (seven in three months) I think that was on purpose. I also think it indicates that GW heard the complaints about IG and WE last edition, and have tried to improve on that.

40k 10th is currently at;

• Launch +3 months: Space Marines, Tyranids
  • L+6: Necrons, Adeptus Mechanicus
  • L+9-11: Dark Angels, Orks, Adeptus Custodes, T'au Empire, Chaos Space Marines
  • L+12-14: Genestealer Cults, Adepta Sororitas,[???]

*Not to start a discussion on AoS - just using it as an example of current GW capability.

//

9 minutes ago, acrozatarim said:

If EC are coming this edition then they will most likely be scheduled soon after the main CSM release, because that'll see Noise Marines and Lucius stripped out of the CSM book and they won't want to leave players of those units in limbo for long.

9th edition's C:CSM took Khârn and Berzerkers out in June 2022, with Chapter Approved free rules bridging the eight month gap to C:WE in February 2023.

With 10th's C:CSM probably in (April or) May, I'd say that @Chapter Master Valrak's late Winter 2024 rumour for C:EC fits nicely.

Edited by LSM

1 hour ago, Orange Knight said:

If all the divergent chapters are still using the core codex, I don't understand why they can't release the supplement books in one go?

Back in 8th they released 6 supplements close to each other.

I'd imagine its to tie in with new miniatures each time. BA will likely get new jump pack Death Company/Sanguinary Guard/Characters, Space Wolves new Wolf Guard and characters. Plus possible new upgrade sprues

1 hour ago, Orange Knight said:

If all the divergent chapters are still using the core codex, I don't understand why they can't release the supplement books in one go?

Do you mean the other founding supplements, that were pretty much lore supplements, though? And released close to the end of edition?

I do wish things were moving quicker, but equally every edition is slower than it could be in getting these books out. 

Edited by Petitioner's City

7 hours ago, skylerboodie said:

Maybe FW Fulgrim was pushed out because they new it wouldn't be to long until plastic Fulgrim was coming, so FW team wanted as much exclusivity on their premium model that they could manage before a more reasonably priced version drops

You give them way too much credit. There's a total lack of communication between the different groups. There isn't this level of joined up thinking. 

FW Fulgrim released because it was time and the 40k.ec will drop "when it's time". That's the simple level we're dealing with. 

I just hope I don't react to the new EC as I did when metal noise marines dropped in wd206, or the EC box with the 3 heads and single sonic blaster/ blast master. 

I would love to see plastic noise marines that are as awesome as the updated classic they released for Christmas a few years back. That or stuff that resembles the numerous artworks we've had. Fingers crossed.

In recent years I have always hoped they would go down the route of a single book for all the vanilla space marine units and a second, equal sized tome with all the divergent rules in. They seem to prefer supplements for the divergent guys now and have reintegrated the 6 codex compliant chapters back into the main book. 

4 minutes ago, Bradeh said:

Having a 3 year edition cycle but some of codexes are released well into the 3rd year. This is not a serious game system.

I don't know, people maybe need to stop treating it like one then and expecting it to be an esport. This is still better largely than the 4-6year edition cycle where some books aren't released until 2 editions later.

21 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

I don't know, people maybe need to stop treating it like one then and expecting it to be an esport. This is still better largely than the 4-6year edition cycle where some books aren't released until 2 editions later.

Whilst I'm very much in the camp of "40k is best with beer and pretzels" we can't ignore the fact that GW peddle it as a competitive game.

They update us with win percentages, they balance the game based on tournament results... heck - they have an official "Meta watch"

On 11/18/2023 at 4:31 PM, Blindhamster said:

I don’t recall them ever stating it was a full stand alone codex

Dont think they did in text but am 99% Mr Eccles said it in one of the streams

Maybe smart money isnt the currency to use but Id say the smart money is on Wolves getting their supplement 6 months before 11th ed BUT Leman Russ returns

For roadmap in general it seems like their coming a bit faster than the seasons; winter ones clearee before Jan

We could get summer ones by end of May and or Spring ones in Jan (Old World in early Feb I think and summer of Sigmar)

Edited by Dark Shepherd
avoiding double posting :)

3 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Whilst I'm very much in the camp of "40k is best with beer and pretzels" we can't ignore the fact that GW peddle it as a competitive game.

They update us with win percentages, they balance the game based on tournament results... heck - they have an official "Meta watch"

Smoke and mirrors. We should be judging GW on its actions, not what they say they are doing which is different. IF GW was serious, every codex could come out at launch. Easy to do when they don't have new units yet. An edition launch codex only needs to be in line with new edition rules, last editions new units in it. Any new units should be in campaign books. You don't need new units to sell a new edition codex, its a new codex that works with the new edition rules, thats what sells it. If they can't work it out for such a large company, then all the codexes should release digitally to purchase, with the hard copies being strung out instead. 

8 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

Smoke and mirrors. We should be judging GW on its actions, not what they say they are doing which is different. IF GW was serious, every codex could come out at launch. Easy to do when they don't have new units yet. An edition launch codex only needs to be in line with new edition rules, last editions new units in it. Any new units should be in campaign books. You don't need new units to sell a new edition codex, its a new codex that works with the new edition rules, thats what sells it. If they can't work it out for such a large company, then all the codexes should release digitally to purchase, with the hard copies being strung out instead. 

What do you think the Indexes are?

On 11/19/2023 at 11:13 AM, ZeroWolf said:

Reason I said EC was because of the rumour Valrak was given (i.e. EC out next year at some point). Really, I guess, it all depends on the track record of the person who passed that information on to him. If its the same person who said about Deathwing, Night Lords Killteam etc etc then that's that.

The thing with release schedules is that they can change in a blink for a number of reasons, all I saying is EC is coming this edition, either by the end of next or the year after :)

On 11/19/2023 at 10:31 PM, Orange Knight said:

On 11/20/2023 at 2:18 AM, MegaVolt87 said:

Smoke and mirrors. We should be judging GW on its actions, not what they say they are doing which is different. 

Well, their actions include incorporating a tournament at a festival of the hobby, frequent tweaks to army powers based on tournament results, hiring a tournament organiser to organise tournaments, putting out regular articles on the state of tournament play, letting tournament organisers give feedback on, and have a hand in developing the new editions of the game, and long 20m+ videos on the metawatch. 

How much of this have they done for the lore and narrative?  When was the last video deep dive from GW into the new lore?

I think it's safe to say that GW are pushing 40k as a competitive game. And it's making them shedloads. 

Come join us in Crusade :D

Edited by Xenith

19 minutes ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

The thing with release schedules is that they can change in a blink for a number of reasons, all I saying is EC is coming this edition, either by the end of next or the year after :)

Oh definitely, I was just going by your source :laugh: i wonder though, would warehouse issues persisting into next spring force them to push back a presumably kit heavy EC launch in favour of a faction that was only getting a single new model (like Custodes for instance).

12 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Well, their actions include incorporating a tournament at a festival of the hobby, frequent tweaks to army powers based on tournament results, hiring an tournament organiser to organise tournaments, putting out regular articles on the state of tournament play, letting tournament organisers give feedback on, and have a hand in developing the new editions of the game, and long 20m+ videos on the metawatch. 

How much of this have they done for the lore and narrative?  When was the last video deep dive from GW into the new lore?

I think it's safe to say that GW are pushing 40k as a competitive game. And it's making them shedloads. 

Come join us in Crusade :D

Can't blame them for going where the money goes, they are a business at the end of the day

22 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Because people who play armies that aren't marines deserve attention too, especially when two essentially Marine only games are being hyped up in addition to the parade of Marines for 10th ed 40k?

Seriously, if you don't play marines, the first 8 months of any edition is a nightmare, and 10th is worse than most others because of the compounding effects of Marine hype from both HH and LI. When White Dwarf decided to release Crusade content for Tome Keepers and an Index Astartes article for yet another marine chapter, I just about lost it. White Dwarf is the one thing that should have been able to balance some of this out.

If I was running GW, WD would release content in reverse order of Codex releases. So Marines and Nids get dexes, but whoever is destined to get their dex last receives WD Crusade content or alternate detachments via Index articles. Sure, there would still be painting, background or hype articles to promote new releases- advertising is important of course- but the the extra rules content would be reserved for those faction who aren't getting that content from any other sources- namely, dexes and campaign books.

Even the upcoming KT box is contaminated with the stench of marines. Sure, there are Eldar in the box, and that's great, but wow, Eldar VS Tau or Votann, or Sisters... Heck ANYBODY would have been a better choice for those coping with marine saturation and overstimulation.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

14 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Seriously, if you don't play marines, the first 8 months of any edition is a nightmare, and 10th is worse than most others because of the compounding effects of Marine hype from both HH and LI.

I dunno, my Eldar are loving 10th edition IndexHammer. :wink:

On a more serious note, I do understand what you mean about Space Marines being the first out of the gate all the time. But in some regards it is understandable. They are GW's most iconic and best selling faction. But while Marines are doing well with releases, they are not topping the league tables and consistently seem to sit below the 50% mark in terms of winrates.

2 hours ago, Chapter Master Valrak said:

Is there any rumor as to the scale of the release in terms of number of kits? On a scale of World Eaters to Death Guard?