Updated 40k Codex Release schedule

1 hour ago, Dark Shepherd said:

They said during 10th ed launch stream specifically that the divergent chapters would get a full stand alone codex so its a pity its supplements

I don’t recall them ever stating it was a full stand alone codex

3 hours ago, ZeroWolf said:

Could that redacted codex be the Emperor's Children release that we're rumoured to have before years end?

Thats all I can think of at the moment since they would only do that for something completely new.

No, it’s just a codex they haven’t announced yet, nothing special 

On 11/18/2023 at 3:15 PM, Dark Legionnare said:

It's what has driven most of our group to play 90% of our games as 30K. The other 10% we're building up the steam for "7th ed without relics, decurions, & formations" and have been having an absolute blast. Will be doing a lot more for sure.

Not to mention the dumbing down of points, wargear, etc... in 10th souring everyone's tastes; but that's a whole different story.

It’s really sad that 6th/7th caused a soft reboot of the game when all they really needed to do was cut out the :cuss: introduced to sell models at the expense of any semblance of immersion or balance such as the allies chart and formations. 

The core game was fine, but allies and formations ruined it. Like taking a dump on an otherwise perfectly well cooked meal.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova
Swear filter dodge

Looking at the roadmap and comparing it to the last one, it seems GW is going for 2 factions and their respective codex being released that are then connected by a Crusade book:

•  Space Marines vs Tyranids-> Tyrannic War.
  • AdMech vs Necrons->Pariah Nexus.
  • Dark Angels vs Orks->Armaggeddon perhaps?
  • Adeptus Custodes vs T'au vs Chaos Space Marines->This one apparently breaks the pattern for now, since it's 3 factions.
  • Genestealer Cults vs Adepta Sororitas

But it could be just a coincidence.

The mystery faction could be Emperor's Children. But like others have said, 9th edition also had roadmaps with hidden factions and not always those were new ones.

Edited by Jscarlos18

On 11/18/2023 at 5:19 PM, Rain said:

It’s really sad that 6th/7th caused a soft reboot of the game when all they really needed to do was cut out the :cuss: introduced to sell models at the expense of any semblance of immersion or balance such as the allies chart and formations. 

The core game was fine, but allies and formations ruined it. Like taking a dump on an otherwise perfectly well cooked meal.

Personally, I much prefer the 8/9/10th approach to AP and damage. It's far better from a logic perspective, i absolutely loathed the idea that a power sword is utterly useless against terminator armour for example. The modern system (10th in particular) is much better for AP generally, they toned it back from where it was in 9th, but it still provides granularity that is great. Similarly different weapons having different damage and the more varied number of wounds on things has helped a lot too IMO.

There's definitely things about 7th that were better (USRs, which 10th brought back, but not to the extent they could have), but overall the core mechanics of the game are better now IMO.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

1 hour ago, Emperor Ming said:

Rather strange that BT, BA and SW are going to have to wait like other factions:ermm:

Sales must have slipped:laugh:

tbf, its almost always one divergent gets an update early on and the rest wait till later in the edition, precisely which is when varies. Blood Angels tend to be a christmas slot so I'm going to bet at Christmas 2024 for them. Who knows for BT and SW though, could come at any point, seeing as BT are likely to be a supplement and single model event, I could see them slotting in at any point. If Valrak is right and Wolves are getting a bigger update I bet they'll be late in the edition. From what he said too, sounded like BA will be a very minor update this edition too, supposedly with Death Company coming via killteam instead.

4 hours ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Would "Aeldari are still at a 60%+ win rate despite all the nerfs." be a decent guess as to the reason?

No because the order things come out in has absolutely nothing to do with the rules and everything to do with model waves.

5 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

Personally, I much prefer the 8/9/10th approach to AP and damage. It's far better from a logic perspective, i absolutely loathed the idea that a power sword is utterly useless against terminator armour for example. The modern system (10th in particular) is much better for AP generally, they toned it back from where it was in 9th, but it still provides granularity that is great. Similarly different weapons having different damage and the more varied number of wounds on things has helped a lot too IMO.

There's definitely things about 7th that were better (USRs, which 10th brought back, but not to the extent they could have), but overall the core mechanics of the game are better now IMO.

I actually agree that save modification is better than the old binary AP system.

However:

(1.) Vehicle AV’s, facings, and damage tables made much more sense and were objectively a better and more immersive model of vehicle damage than treating vehicles as creatures that maybe takes a stat hit as a certain wound threshold .

(2.) Everything having tons of wounds only to be offset with MW’s is stupid. Actually MW’s in general are an awful mechanic, for similar reasons to binary AP being a bad mechanic.

(3.) Stratagems are needless bloat, the game was fine without them.

(4.) I personally don’t like Primaris and the return of primarchs, especially loyalist primarchs, but that’s a purely aesthetic thing. Different strokes on that one.

4 hours ago, Rain said:

(1.) Vehicle AV’s, facings, and damage tables made much more sense and were objectively a better and more immersive model of vehicle damage than treating vehicles as creatures that maybe takes a stat hit as a certain wound threshold .

I hated damage tables so much. They facilitated one-shot killing. They also created the potential that you paid points for something that was kept useless for the entire game, either because it was immobilized, or it had a weapon system destroyed.  That's not objectively better at all.

13 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

I hated damage tables so much. They facilitated one-shot killing. They also created the potential that you paid points for something that was kept useless for the entire game, either because it was immobilized, or it had a weapon system destroyed.  That's not objectively better at all.

Things still die without ever getting to do anything all the time. That hasn’t changed. I meant objectively better in the sense that it much better models how actual vehicles would behave when shot.

Small arms do nothing, individual systems such as the tracks/wheels/individual guns can be destroyed individually, and, yes, a single penetrating hit can strike the fuel or ammo, or cause a fire that kills the crew, effectively destroying the vehicle. On the other hand, dozens of glancing hits can come to nothing, or a “mobility kill” only, as happened all the time in WWII. 

The only thing it was missing was the potential for partial crew deaths, but that’s probably too much bookkeeping.

1 hour ago, Marshal Loss said:

They've used redacted for codex releases that aren't new before, but fingers crossed it's finally the Emperor's Children - would make sense to drop them after the main CSM book. I think there's a decent chance this time around.

It would also be sensible to be that close to the chaos marine codex, as to reduce the wait time for EC players, like they did with WE. It would also be roughly mid-edition, just in time to do another loyalist marine wave to mirror it shadowspear style :)

They should do what the did to the chaos legions to the non codex chapters and seperate them instead of having to need the marine codex plus a supplement just to play, with how little units some factions have they have more than enough plus some normal marine units to be their own army by now 

Also yay both DG and Daemons at least  another year until codex how great, looks like they'll be dragging out codex books again feel bad for whoever is the poor sap with last couple of codex books that likely will only get month or 2 of use before edition changes again

Edited by Plaguecaster

9 hours ago, Marshal Loss said:

They've used redacted for codex releases that aren't new before, but fingers crossed it's finally the Emperor's Children - would make sense to drop them after the main CSM book. I think there's a decent chance this time around.

I am not so sure. The fact we have just had a new resin sculpt released of Deamon Fulgrim makes me think EC are not imminent. I can't see them releasing that and then doing a very similar plastic version so soon afterwards. They are going to milk the sales of the resin 30K version first IMHO.

20 hours ago, Toxichobbit said:

I see Guard players are getting shafted again. That's two editions in a row where their Codex has been released in the second half of the edition. I'm sure people love playing with out of date rules for the majority of an edition.

Bit early for that doom and gloom.  This Road Map only takes us up to Summer which is 1/3 the way through the Edition.  We still have up to the end of 2024 to still be in the first half.  Even early 2025 puts any codex release solidly mid Edition.  If we haven't got a codex by Autumn 2025 then yes I agree we will have shafted again but that is a long way off.

20 hours ago, Toxichobbit said:

Edited by Nova-V

10 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I am not so sure. The fact we have just had a new resin sculpt released of Deamon Fulgrim makes me think EC are not imminent. I can't see them releasing that and then doing a very similar plastic version so soon afterwards. They are going to milk the sales of the resin 30K version first IMHO.

The 40k and FW teams are a lot more disjointed than would make that kind of thinking possible.

40 minutes ago, Plaguecaster said:

Also yay both DG and Daemons at least  another year until codex how great, looks like they'll be dragging out codex books again feel bad for whoever is the poor sap with last couple of codex books that likely will only get month or 2 of use before edition changes again

Completely agreed - I have two fairly mainstream armies (chaos marines and eldar), and having to wait until the last year of 9th edition to get my new rules toys completely sapped my will to play the game while waiting for the new stuff. Happy to see I won't have to wait so long for CSM this time round - the 6th through 7th codex still sticks in my craw.

19 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

We had plastic & then resin Guilliman within about 3 months of each other in 2017, so I'm not overly worried about that. Plenty of time between Fulgrim Transfigured and a second half 2024 plastic Fulgrim.

10 minutes ago, skylerboodie said:

Maybe FW Fulgrim was pushed out because they new it wouldn't be to long until plastic Fulgrim was coming, so FW team wanted as much exclusivity on their premium model that they could manage before a more reasonably priced version drops

Very plausible. Although given that the Daemon Primarchs sell for around £100, I am not sure I would call them "reasonably priced". :wink:

Reason I said EC was because of the rumour Valrak was given (i.e. EC out next year at some point). Really, I guess, it all depends on the track record of the person who passed that information on to him. If its the same person who said about Deathwing, Night Lords Killteam etc etc then that's that.

3 hours ago, Plaguecaster said:

They should do what the did to the chaos legions to the non codex chapters and seperate them instead of having to need the marine codex plus a supplement just to play, with how little units some factions have they have more than enough plus some normal marine units to be their own army by now 

I agree, but I think the tradeoff was when they rolled them back in, they could use every unit from the main codex plus their fancy chapter ones (minus psychers for BT). For example I don't think dark angles could use centurions prior to being rolled back into the codex (I could be wrong, my memory is slowly going). The Chaos ones get their own books because they lose more units than they gain. Our DG gain their 15 or so unique units but lose out on about 20 units from the Chaos codex.

Now I'm not saying that is right or what I prefer, I know I never want to have to buy two books to play one army. But if I have to buy a basic marine codex AND a supplement, I better be able to use every unit from that main codex minus faction aligned characters.