Updated 40k Codex Release schedule

6 hours ago, Bouargh said:

I would only give up on armies most likely to be concerned or threatened by the great shift:

- oldies with ranges that have been low on refresh since more than (let´s say) 2 editions (Aeldarii, Drukhari...) - until the circle is broken

Excuse me, Aeldari "low on refresh"? In the last 2 Editions they had the Avatar, Autarch, Warlocks, Spiritseer, Jain Zar, Maugan Ra, Guardians/Storm Guardians, Rangers, Banshees, Reapers, Shining Spears all replaced, and Corsairs, Shroud Runners and Webway Gate added to the range. Scorpions are coming imminently.

I know they had one of the highest ratios of old (especially Finecast) minis in the entire GW catalogue and there are still a lot of things that need replacing, but I don't think you can really argue they haven't been updated lately. 

Drukhari, no argument. They badly need some new minis :laugh:

22 minutes ago, JayJapanB said:

I feel like GKs are in increasing need of an update.
If they can retcon the Dreadknight's existence while they're at it, that would be great too.

Given the new Terminator sculpts, it should ideally be within this edition...however i have a feeling it will be 11th. Dark Eldar have a better chance at a refresh this time round I feel, especially given the mandrake rumours.

1 hour ago, JayJapanB said:

I feel like GKs are in increasing need of an update.
If they can retcon the Dreadknight's existence while they're at it, that would be great too.

Agree 100%. And would be easy to do. 2 infantry kits, a couple of characters, and a box with icons and bits to put on vehicles and dreads

3 hours ago, Bouargh said:

Indeed, but mainly because Fulrim in resin is twice the price of a plastic Daemon Primarch... It is filtering a lot through adquisitive power. Yet I can´t help thinking that getting a resin exalted proimarch and potencialy a plastic daemon one is... an "interesting" strategy I do not necesarilly suscribe to. 

IIRC there have been public discussions (including with Forge World sculptor Simon Egan, I think) where there has been talk that all of the primarchs are going to be getting new resin models for 30k. (More "late Heresy" then their existent ones.) First we got Horus Ascended, and then Fulgrim Transfigured, but all the others are expected. (Well, many of the others... not Ferrus...)

If you're the 30k team, and you hear that plastic 40k Fulgrim is coming, you might prioritise getting your resin one out as soon as possible to maximise its sales. 

11 hours ago, JayJapanB said:

Agreed.
Fulgrim Ascended is more of a collectors piece than a standard unit.

Meanwhile has anyone seen a 40k World Eaters army without Angron?
The army has basically become Angron ft backup dancers.

Understandable, DG and TS were like that as well when they were still new. 

19 hours ago, Halandaar said:

Excuse me, Aeldari "low on refresh"? In the last 2 Editions they had the Avatar, Autarch, Warlocks, Spiritseer, Jain Zar, Maugan Ra, Guardians/Storm Guardians, Rangers, Banshees, Reapers, Shining Spears all replaced, and Corsairs, Shroud Runners and Webway Gate added to the range. Scorpions are coming imminently.

You are fully right. My purpose was more underlining that knowing (or rather expecting as rumours are just still that, rumours) a sustancial range refresh in some time (eventually short / medium term), it be be worth waiting rather than buying now. These refreshes may come along some rules changes eventually (or not) and this is not always well perceived... I should have written it that way.

On 11/29/2023 at 2:05 PM, JayJapanB said:

Agreed.
Fulgrim Ascended is more of a collectors piece than a standard unit.

Meanwhile has anyone seen a 40k World Eaters army without Angron?
The army has basically become Angron ft backup dancers.

I mean World Eaters still have a third of a range of models.

When they actually get a proper army maybe we'll see some variety.

Personally just want them to pick-up the pace with releasing the codices. Hopefully we get a regular set of these "double drops" with the books because that does help. Also injects some life into the game as well as now two armies are now stepping up to the plate at once, wanting to show what they got. Feels nice and means you can have games of entirely new stuff that isn't a faction mirror match.

And I don't think it hits bottom lines for GW ether which is why we may see these double drops. Not everyone is a Necron guy nor Men-on-Stilts (And many are just envious they hacked the attraction maths. Long legs look good? Well boy howdy here comes the boy!) so having these means you can actually get maybe more stuff moving.

Nothing loses sales more than stagnation and slow move. Now if we could just so kindly now get these 10th books out and then have a few editions where things aren't MASSIVE REWORKS...that would be nice.

Just saying. We've had now 3 editions straight that were resets of one kind or another. 8th got an excuse for reviving 40k from the death drop of 7th, 9th was trying to get the plumbing installed while the electricians were doing light checks and now 10th decided to have a house fire, cash in on insurance and do it again but with some element of care and lessons learned.

10th is good, arguably great however the only issue I have is having 2 index editions within less than a decade of each other and thus having some factions spending more time as indices than codices.

9 hours ago, Progenitor said:

It'll be Khorngors all the way down! 

You joke, but I wanted Khorngors. I hate Jakhals, they are boring and pointless. Might as well have just given us regular cultists and given them more CC oriented rules in the WE index. Beastmen would make a lot of sense for World Eaters, as WE are such a brutal legion, and would be much more interesting from a model and aesthetic perspective. But no, we got grocery store brand Mad Max baddies as our chaff unit. Thanks James Workshop.

Also, I have strong doubts about WE getting a true second wave. I’m pretty sure we have the smallest roster at the moment, and I would kill for a legion specific Terminator unit, but my hopes aren’t high for GW releasing multiple boxes for such a niche faction.

On 11/29/2023 at 10:01 AM, LSM said:

IIRC there have been public discussions (including with Forge World sculptor Simon Egan, I think) where there has been talk that all of the primarchs are going to be getting new resin models for 30k. (More "late Heresy" then their existent ones.) First we got Horus Ascended, and then Fulgrim Transfigured, but all the others are expected. (Well, many of the others... not Ferrus...)

If you're the 30k team, and you hear that plastic 40k Fulgrim is coming, you might prioritise getting your resin one out as soon as possible to maximise its sales. 

I can't wait for Guilliman Enraged.

1 hour ago, Rain said:

You joke, but I wanted Khorngors. I hate Jakhals, they are boring and pointless. Might as well have just given us regular cultists and given them more CC oriented rules in the WE index. Beastmen would make a lot of sense for World Eaters, as WE are such a brutal legion, and would be much more interesting from a model and aesthetic perspective. But no, we got grocery store brand Mad Max baddies as our chaff unit. Thanks James Workshop.

Also, I have strong doubts about WE getting a true second wave. I’m pretty sure we have the smallest roster at the moment, and I would kill for a legion specific Terminator unit, but my hopes aren’t high for GW releasing multiple boxes for such a niche faction.

Yeah they already had Corpsegrinders wich are cool and are Khornate chaos cultists and decided to give out less cool corpsegrinders with big tanks on thier backs. Sweet. Oh and they cut half the models you used to be able to use and then to rub salt in it they decided to retcon the FW deamon engines into 30k and take those away too then beastmen do come along but you can't have em. I'm actually pretty surprised anyone plays World Eaters at all they are as boring as an Age of Sigmar faction. I thought I was getting pranked when I saw the eightbound like really a dual kit of the exact same thing? Yikes.

11 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I thought I was getting pranked when I saw the eightbound like really a dual kit of the exact same thing? Yikes.

How dare you! Switching from dual eviscerators to chainfist/eviscerator absolutely justifies having them as two separate units  :facepalm:

Oh, and thank you GW for giving us legion specific possessed that absolutely no one asked for instead of legion specific terminators which everyone expected after the Red Butchers upgrade strat was a thing as recently as the WD supplement in 9th.

15 hours ago, Rain said:

While I've expressed my displeasure with the WE release, it would be insane to me for them to not expand on it. Look at Fantasy/AoS/HH. They know Khorne sells.

A Red Butcher/Terminator kit, Teeth of Khorne, and something like the Blood Slaughterer all make too much sense to me to not include around the next release.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:24 PM, Nova-V said:

Sad thing is Thousand Sons aren't much better off after 7ish years.  There is clearly a second wave of WE coming I just hope the WE range ends up more like DG than TS.

I've seen a few rumours circulating around that (alongside the oft-speculated EC standalone release) TSons and WE are both getting their "second wave" this edition, bringing us both up to DG levels (a different rumour also speculates EC will launch at DG levels... which I doubt).

Guess we just missed the "Year of Chaos" bus or something (assuming it's legit)

1 hour ago, Indy Techwisp said:

I've seen a few rumours circulating around that (alongside the oft-speculated EC standalone release) TSons and WE are both getting their "second wave" this edition, bringing us both up to DG levels (a different rumour also speculates EC will launch at DG levels... which I doubt).

Guess we just missed the "Year of Chaos" bus or something (assuming it's legit)

Here’s hoping. I’m really not sure how I feel about cult legions being totally independent armies. We are so niche that expecting a large degree of support is not very reasonable, and being independent books we lose a lot of the standard CSM unit choices. They should have probably just been supplement books to CSM, but I guess that ship has sailed. 

Standby for disappointment if you want more WE.

James Workshop have adopted the GRR Martin school of delivery... disappointment on top of disappointment, in order to breed unfounded hopes, which get dashed on the alter of... well, more disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Rain said:

Here’s hoping. I’m really not sure how I feel about cult legions being totally independent armies. We are so niche that expecting a large degree of support is not very reasonable, and being independent books we lose a lot of the standard CSM unit choices. They should have probably just been supplement books to CSM, but I guess that ship has sailed. 

Being their own thing means that they should have more Thematic options available to them.
That said, nearly all three existent cult legions got the exact same stuff (with the Sorcs being swapped out in WE's case).
There's certainly thematic stuff we lost when leaving like WE Bikes, but hopefully we'll get them back soonish.
(Hopefully not in DG's case. They've got way too much stuff as is)

Some Numbers:

WE got 5 new kits making up 7 Datasheets + 1 WE specific unit transferred over (Khârn)

TSons got 6 new kits making up 8 Datasheets + 4 kits ported over from AoS in 8th edition (TSons had 1 new kit (Infernal Master) added in 9th)

DG got 20 new kits making up 19 Datasheets (3 of those kits are just "X unit but fanicer" as well)

World Eaters got exactly as much as TSons got on launch. We've just had one edition's worth of new kits (ignoring the 4 AoS ports)

Edited by Indy Techwisp
Number stuff

4 hours ago, Rain said:

Oh, and thank you GW for giving us legion specific possessed that absolutely no one asked for instead of legion specific terminators which everyone expected after the Red Butchers upgrade strat was a thing as recently as the WD supplement in 9th.

As a enjoyer of the Word and the Truth of the universe I do quite enjoy the new additions to the roster of Possessed as long as these ultimately lead to Possessed for the other cult legions (I envision something like rubrics filled to the gills with brimstone horrors). But even I must say that Red Butchers would have been quite a bit more welcome, especially if they are the size of the new loyalist ones.

17 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I can't wait for Guilliman Enraged.

Guilliman quite exasperated. Guilliman seriously miffed.

27 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

As a enjoyer of the Word and the Truth of the universe I do quite enjoy the new additions to the roster of Possessed as long as these ultimately lead to Possessed for the other cult legions (I envision something like rubrics filled to the gills with brimstone horrors)

Technically speaking our Exalted Sorcerers are the TSons Possessed 'cause they're all mutating extra Blue Horror limbs or turning into Birds

10 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Technically speaking our Exalted Sorcerers are the TSons Possessed 'cause they're all mutating extra Blue Horror limbs or turning into Birds

Hmm, I'd argue it's more "just" mutation/microdosing the flesh change. But even if they are Possessed it's more like they are exalted Possessed, what with them being HQs, so there's still room for a 3-man/5-man of daemonic power armour.

28 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

Hmm, I'd argue it's more "just" mutation/microdosing the flesh change. But even if they are Possessed it's more like they are exalted Possessed, what with them being HQs, so there's still room for a 3-man/5-man of daemonic power armour.

The main issue is that all our non-Sorcs turned into dust, so whatever the Possessed is, it has to be a Sorc since modern TSons Geneseed will not take in non-Psykers and the only way to make new Rubrics is to pull Pre-Rubric TSons from the past to the present which dusts them.

I can see a unique TSons """possessed""" which is just a group of Sorc who drank too deep from the Chaos Goblet and fleshchanged into a magic-spewing balls of feathers, tentacles and feathery tentacles.

Thats from a consumer/rules writer POV.. but neither determine the kit releases to be designed, especially not the initial release ( later ones often fill more holes ).. from a designer POV the Exalted sorcerers, Eightbound and Deathshroud fill a similar "role".. and i assume ( its also been rumored) that besides us having several years between each release, these groups have been designed in tandem with each other... with the Deathguard becoming a starterset army even being a decision after that.

Though the headscratcher there is still the Worldeater terminators... could be held back to have something with this edition codex.

There is also some evidence that each of them was also designed with the idea that their daemon equivalents would join them in their codex.

Between those two theories i think their initial small releases ( and DG was bigger but hardly groundshattering.. half the kits Where alt kits for same datasheets. ) are or were all there is to them from the design side... the designers initially moving on to other things, before returning to the cult legions. It could be that we are at that point now ( or rather... 2 to 3 years from that point) it can also be that its something that will happen after emperors children.

Most editions have 7-8 releases of 5+ kits ( some 10+ even) not even counting loyal marines or the starter villain. 

And after two editions of ancient range updates, the only ones with enough resin/pre-5th edition plastic* left to fill such an update style release are :

- Tau

- Eldar

- Dark eldar

- Imperial guard

- Orks 

Meaning there is quite some room for release waves that dont update but rather increase smaller ranges. Especially since none of them would be Daemons, SoB, Orks or CSM amount of releases wich are the four biggest updated ranges past 2 editions (  barring Primaris ofcourse ) so it could even be that 1 model updates are the exception instead of the norm the coming years... with possibly alot of necron style releases.

* Not counting vehicles, GW doesnt seem to.