THE ARGENT FORGE - Brother Argent's (hopefully) on-going blog

Brother Argent

THE ARGENT FORGE

" We are all the sum of our actions, young one.  Every act, every deed we perform in this wretched existence defines whom we are, how we are remembered, what legacy we leave behind.  None of us escape this pitiful mortal coil alive, initiate. It is up to us to define who we are and when the time comes for us to pay our final dues and leave behind our mark it falls to us if our story will be a glorious chapter of Man-kinds history or an oft forgotten foot note that merely highlights the folly of Men,"

Brother Kristoff Argent - (Former) Master of Sanctity, Star Leopards Astartes Chapter now assigned to the Legio Bolter and Chainsword 

The Preamble

So its that time again.  Time for Brother Argent to start another hobby butterfly log.  I've tried this a few times and always failed for various reasons.  My most recent attempt, when I meant to tackle the Imperium, didn't necessarily fail as falter.  Whilst I kept up with the models my intent to deliver fluff for each issue made my get bogged down on posting and I stopped updating entirely.  That's not to say I am giving up on that log, I just feel with the amount I flutter around between armies I think perhaps a central spot to share everything would be warranted.  And so here I go again, launching a log that, if I am honest, updates will be sporadic and the quality somewhat lacking but I will give it a red hot try.

End of Year Goals

So, with the end of the year fast approaching I intend on completing a Path of Penance as I have done in the past.  With multiple painting challenges failed in the later half of the year, either due to poor time management, mental health or other commitments, I have quite the list of models I had hoped to complete by years end.  Whilst this is a huge undertaking and likely impossible given past records the following is the list of what I hope to achieve and the challenge they relate too:

12 Months of Hobby:

• 1x Seraphim Superior
  • 1x Sister Superior
  • 1x Sister with Simalcrum Imperialis
  • 2x Battle Sisters
  • 2x Repentia
  • 1x Arcoflagellant
  • 1x Repentia Superior
  • 1x Penitent Engine
  • 1x Chaplain
  • 5x Intercessors
  • 1x Redemptor
  • 1x Repulsor
  • 1x Repulsor Executioner

Call to Arms:

• 1x Screamer Killer
  • 1x Psycophage
  • 3x Neurotyrant and accompanying Neurolids
  • 12x Neurogaunts
  • 10x Termagaunts
  • 1x Warpsmith
  • 1x Maulerfiend.

Imperium Subscription

• 2x Ruins
  • 1x Triarch Stalker
  • 3x Battle Sisters
  • 1x Repentia
  • 1x Arcoflagellant
  • 2x Seraphim
  • Thermic Plasma Conduits

Other Non Challenge related stuff:

• 1x AoS Steelhelm minature of the month (also know as Dame Not Appearing in this Log)

So, as you can all see, one hell of a lot and likely impossible, but I am going to give it a red hot go. I have colour coded them in terms of priority.  Red being highest priority, then orange, yellow and finally green.  With any luck I can get this stuff done. I also have some bits and pieces I want to rework from the Call to Arms.  If that happens this year or not is to be decided...

A Taste of What is to come...

So, finally, a blog isn't a WIP blog without some images.  So, whilst these models have been seen before, here is a few images to show the schemes that I am goijng towards a a few lines about each army:

Adeptus Astartes: The Interdictors

large.PhobosLtwithCombiAfter.jpg.900d7b57773d5aa823364b75910bdbcd.jpg.3e8386317fa4b9fa8561bc371963567d.jpg

Forged from the geneseed of the Ultramarines the Interdictors mostly embraced the gift of the Rubicon Primaris.  Known for their tenacity and brutal uncompromising nature they strike in hard and fast, launching assault from drop pod, Thunderhawk and armoured vehicle, cutting off enemy supply routes and digging in at surrounded strongholds.  The Interdictors I paint for now are mostly around what is coming with the Imperium magazine as well as my Plodding Along Vow for the Twelve Months of Hobby and will be, for the most part, centered around the 3rd Company.

Adepta Sororitas: The Order of the Martyr Redeemed

large.Repentia1After.jpg.b0475c6c99f33bbac57a61cd0ffcccfc.jpg.24bbb75c346c5dc597334b201574661b.jpg

Formally known as the Order of the Penitent Martyr the Order of the Martyr Redeemed has been known to attract the penitent and those seeking redemption.  Seen as far more compassionate then many similar orders they are a shining beacon  in the hopelessness of the 41st Millennium.  It is perhaps because of this, or possible in spite of, the order has a large compliment of Repentia as well as often accompanied by many arcoflagellants.   Again the Sisters will be mostly done from the contents of Imperium, at least until later when I shall attempt to get another sister squad completed and, if I win the lottery, more Repentia and arcoflagelants.

Tyranids: Hive Fleet Koios

large.WingedPrimeAfter.jpg.a867930c3e75391b292244d17fac1e18.jpg.d2962d38f9c71d017d64c589c37cfd00.jpg

A splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Titan cast adrift from the warp storms of the birth of the Cicatrix Maledictum Hive Fleet Koios are possessed of the same hyper intelligent nature of Titan with perhaps less of the propensity for close quarters fighting.  Their shadow has only just started to spread, with first contact noted about the same time as the resurgence of Hive Fleet Leviathan.  Just how much of a threat this new splinter will be has yet to be seen.  Koios (The Titan of intelligence and known as one of the conspirators in the betrayal of Uranus) will be to begin with the rest of the contents of Leviathan and then, in the new year, will move onto a lot of my older models including an old pewter Hive Tyrant and hormagaunts still in plastic wrap from 2009.

Necrontyr: The Almwat Dynasty

large.ChronomancerAfter.jpg.ae5b079d4f2d16b74df324c4f7983730.jpg.1c7752d7a1ff72dc6317ea5333fb9f51.jpg

A recently awakened Dynasty the Almwat have woken to find their Dynasty and its worlds shattered and scattered.  The Sons of the Phaeron are moving to reunite their broken forces.  Should they succeed they will have a force that, with eldritch energies and ancient malice, will no doubt challenge any and all whom face it.  My Necrons are a rebuild of my early force back from when the army first started being an army and you had a whole about ten units across the whole codex.  They will be mostly built from the Imperium contents with only the yet to arrive Triarch Stalker for this year.  Next year there will be a fair bit more but for now they are mostly resting.

Adeptus Mechanicus: Forge World Milivia Secondus

large.Kataphron2After.jpg.7ca57988757c79194eb4cf7fe133124b.jpg.2185b33c5bee3bd34476eb586a578dbb.jpg

Milivia Primus was a forgeworld cursed from the days of the Heresy, its ancient machinery infected with a dreaded techno-virus known as the Scrap-Code Malaise.  Despite this they continued to survive with the aid of the Iron Heralds Space Marine Chapter.  Following the birth of the Great Rift as well as the predations of Hive Fleet Titan upon the world the Mechanicus decided to purge the world, salvaging what machinery they could and relocating them to the next world in the system, Milivia Secondus.  Secondus was, much to the Imperium and Mechanicus' chagrin, discovered to be a sleeping Tomb World of the Almwat Dynasty.  The awakened Necrontyr quickly drove the Mechanicus forces back.  Rather then fight to the last the forge worlds forces instead returned to their ships, where much of the surviving machinery from Primus remained.  Knowing they would face censure for their failures the fleet left, becoming a mobile forge World in essence and set out to try to rebuild and find what arceotech they could so one day they could gain retribution on the Necrons as well as the Mechanicum they feel betrayed them by destroying their world.  My Admech will be silent for now.  I've painted the Imperium detachment and likely wont revisit them till late next year.  But they will appear in here so figured they needed a brief.

Spoiler

Astra Militarum: New Eden Rifles

A Project for next year - likely through the current Guard Challenge

Orks: WAAAAGH! Runtkilla

Again for next year

Aeldari: Craft World Yme-Loch

Yep... you guessed it...

Chaos Astartes: The White Talons

TBA

Chaos Astartes: Angels of Decay

TBA

So it Begins...

So without further adieu I should get into it.  I have been working on my Sisters as well as starting to assemble the marines for my plodding along.  With any luck I will get some new models up shortly.  Those whom follow the 12MoH will see most of this stuff as well but hopefully I will get more details and my processes in this thread.  And with any luck I shall get regular updates.

Wish me luck...

EDIT: Well just secured myself some more time. Just tested positive to the ol 'Rona... again...

Edited by Brother Argent
Striking off priorities

• 1 month later...
Update I - Recovery

"A man is not finished when he is defeated.  He is finished when he gives up."

Colonel Fuast Stanton - 32nd New Eden Rifles

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.  It has been a difficult month or so.  From riding the high of making grand promises to myself of how much I was going to achieve to not being able to touch a paint brush for a fortnight.  But this isn't a place for me to air my woes.  So I will give a quick summary and update and explain what is hand has been going on. 

So, long story short, Monday a few weeks ago I had just started my working week, on a high from a successful weekend of security work, I managed to injure my back whilst completing mundane tasks.  I was unable to stand and needed to be taken via ambulance to the nearest hospital (some 100 kilometres away) where I spent the rest of the day unable to sit up let alone stand.  After being given some good drugs for the pain I was able to eventually get myself moving and have made a slow recovery since.  Thankfully the issue is muscular, despite me frequently loosing feeling in my right leg, and I am expected to make somewhat of a full recovery within a month or so if I continue my physio etc.  It is an inflammation of an existing condition.  With arthritis though most of my lower back as well as inflamed discs I am told I have the back of a seventy year old, when I am not even in my forties yet.

But the greatest toll on me has been my mental health.  For those whom know me at all know I am a volunteer fire fighter.  Indeed I am Second Officer (2IC) of the local brigade as well as having five fairly young children and a relatively active lifestyle.  Being confined to my chair and for a while not able to move and then, when I started to get more active, not able to do anything I feel I can.  I made the mistake of trying to do things as part of the families Boxing Day celebrations and paid the price.  I can't even get out the house as my wife has recently started a couple of jobs and is making the most of me being at home to take on as much work as she can and I am unable to drive still so I am stuck at home with five bored and active kids.  I feel like the stereotypical retired cop or something listening to the radio scanner (or in todays modern world watching the call logs on my phone).  In summary it hasn't been the greatest Christmas period for me.

But there are people out there far worse off then me.  I will recover.  And I will get back to work and fire fighting.  Even if in not the same capacity as before.  And people don't come to these hobby blogs to read people whining about their life.

I have slowly been able to get back to painting, being able to sit and move as needed more and more.  I wont get my Plodding Along Goal completed, but I can paint again.  Thus the title of this update - Recovery. (Yes, I intend on trying to get all the updates this involved)

So, firstly, a picture of some models to break all the wall of text.  These are some pictures of the Chaplain I recycled from my old Star Leopards I painted from the Conquest magazine from Hachette.  I have never liked this model, particularly compared to the more modern Indomitus Chaplain (best Chaplain model in a long time).

large.ChaplainGlamour.jpg.43e70c589b699bd151bb86be84c07bfb.jpg.da99436b4cb0eea7374eebbe224b7245.jpglarge.ChaplainAfter.jpg.a2e898bcdbbe1edde7129a95c060a08a.jpg.205dc1dd6107be8aefb1011c626038f5.jpg

I am quite happy with how this model turned out.  Whilst its not visible here I even managed to get transfers done on the shoulder pad.  The second photo, whilst otherwise blurry, is there to show the gradient I managed to achieve on the ribbon thingies.  I am also hugely happy with the gold on the crozius.  Normally I try to show such weapons as glowing green but I think here I needed to make it more gold, for a more baroque look.

And on the note of the Interdictors, here are the Intercessors I am working on.  Firstly the one I have finished:

large.IntercessorRecovery.jpg.62da074dc234b1fff5c1379152a4fcd2.jpg.7b7b2bc6ae155ae17a4e41f17196961c.jpg

I was happy when I finished him but not as much now.  The line work is particularly sloppy.  Whether this is due to my brush dying, my hand not being as steady as it should be or just being generally in denial about my pre-injury skill.  But eh, its done.

His squad mates are at varying levels of completion from nearly done (with slightly different and better results with skin):

large.IntercessorRecoveryWIP1.jpg.cea9bfc3535baf6978b752fe9e7f0f67.jpg.d9c67c51b2ed32171650e0b2bd1cc988.jpg

To barely started:

large.IntercessorRecoveryWIP2.jpg.dc13d0eeee88b45e89761c6a7c6e40eb.jpg.e7f652cb58dc109d2c9909a9087c51a0.jpg

I have tried to hone in on the fact the Interdictors are close combat preferential guys but giving them all close combat weapons.  And despite being just primer the sarges helmet looks like the best painted white I ever did...  I am hoping to get these guys done by years end.

And on a less orange note pre-injury I completed the major sprue of the sisters that comes with the Imperium magazine.  I'll get detailed photos up of the others once I complete the full squad but here is the Penitent Engine in all its flagellating glory.

large.PenitentEngine.jpg.df1cfea761f5044eb983db6bfb463f79.jpg.f3c5a359e98879c717902ee5f2e8f6bf.jpg

And finally the objectives I painted as part of the Boxing Dash Bay hosted by the amazing @Grotsmasha.

large.BoxingDayBash2023Complete.jpg.c5dcd77fbacad7c6a26eae4e0dae5b23.jpg.963eff4a76e7e8e664b50c8fbb7be2ce.jpg

And one final point I have taken on GreenScorpions Guard Challenge, attempting at first to complete an Index Astartes style article for my Guard Regiment.

Well plans for the future, other then complete the Intercessors.

Christmas has been kind enough to supply me with the funds to source myself a Combat Patrol: Astra Militarum.  So that combined with some of THESE and the female version I am attempting to create a guard regiment based on the WW2 ANZACs.  Between that and attempting to get back on top of the Imperium subscription, as well as finishing Leviathan, finishing various other projects as well as any other new challenges that arise its going to be a busy new year.  Will get a more detailed update/list up closer to the new year.

Thank you all if you have read this far.  Hopefully wont be so long between updates in the future.

Sorry to hear about your injury. :sad: Hopefully you still managed to enjoy the holiday season, and will make a full recovery soon :smile: 

The minis look good - the gradient on the chaplain's "tassels" is nice :thumbsup: The objectives came out well, too :smile: 

UPDATE II - Reflection

" Happy New Year to all!  Good job surviving another rotation of our dirt ball around the Sun!"

Brother Argent

Well, well, well.  We made it.  Another run around the Sun.  Can't say I enjoyed the ride this year at all.  2023 has been a hard year for me, filled with a lot of false starts and a lot of disappointments.  Particularly the last few months haven't been overly kind to me and even now I am trying to work through some things.  BUT, I am lucky!  Lucky to still be here.  Lucky to have the awesome family I have and lucky to be part of a great community here at the B&C.  I can't remember a part of my adult life that the Bolter and Chainsword hasn't been a part of my hobby.  From my earliest days lurking in the Liber being torn apart by the great @Commissar Molotov and @Octavulg (for my own benefit mind, and valued feedback it was) whilst reading over the inspiring articles by @SCC, @Lysimachus, @Ace Debonair and many others.  To my later times here in the WIP forums, my lore mostly residing in my head as I procrastinate too much to write anything down sharing and admiring the work of guys like @Majkhel, @Doghouse and many many others.  The B&C is a great community and one I hope to be a better part of in the new year.

But enough feel good gushing.  You people came here for models so here's what I can offer.  My latest Intercessor squad is complete:

large.IntercessorsAfter.jpg.5eecd3e8d862d5690df07c1a71df2fcc.jpg.a7af9a7881f2c0c3ba3ae17d731028d9.jpg

Oddly enough these are the first standard Intercessors I have completed for the Interdictors.  With most of what I have painted for the army so far being from Imeprium magazine they don't touch on the standard Intercessors.  Funnily enough these guys, in large part, come from some of the blue Intercessors from Conquest with parts from my remaining box of Intercessors from before.  I will continue to add to these guys as, despite my close combat oriented force, I hope to work towards a full company at some point.  And really, nothing screams space marines more then this confident swagger:

large.IntercessorGlamour.jpg.e62788d30b4f0c936e4bce00db02a9cf.jpg.af7fc001fafbb9c182b019c60f1e690c.jpg

I have decided I hate transfers.  I hate them with a passion.  I am going to need to get some custom ones printed for the Chapter symbol as butchering and combining the Ultramarines Agemmo with the Dark Angels sword is painful to the extreme and they often just fall apart. Particularly older transfer just fall apart when you try to apply them.  Even using Micro-sol/set.. Despite that I managed to get this done which I am proud of.  Less proud now the attempt at chipping smudged things but onward and upwards:

large.IntercessorShoulder.jpg.e0dff628aef7de51d68a452487e2c7a9.jpg.2c7e3615150282e537d2bdfab8da7ed4.jpg

And the other thing I am proud of is how this face came out:

large.IntercessorSkin.jpg.fca8a71b21c3de94220aad0f93688dac.jpg.fb747502d33062b03b60fa41382c6621.jpg

Faces have always been my bane so to get one start to look even half decent makes my happy.

So now I am off to tally models, and make plans for the new year.  I'll get another update up, likely tomorrow, going over what the plan for the new year is and then, hopefully, keep updates flowing on a semi regular basis.

Anyway I just wanted to end this short update by saying:

Happy New Year all!!!!!!

Thank you all here on the B&C for being an amazing support crew for me, in more ways then one, and I look forward to hobbying with you all in the new year. 

They're certainly a distinctive force :thumbsup:

It's good to hear that the community has helped you through some difficult times :smile: 

1 hour ago, Brother Argent said:

I will continue to add to these guys as, despite my close combat oriented force, I hope to work towards a full company at some point.

"Some foes can be stabbed with a chainsword; others need to be shot from afar"

Codex Astartes (probably :tongue:)

Sorry to hear about your injury, I hope you have a speedy recovery and I'm glad that the hobby and forum can help support that journey. 

I really like the scheme for your marines, the orange really pops but without looking garish. The transfers look ace on the recent squad too.

The green/yellow is also very nicely done on your Necrons. It's cool to see the green popping up in the different factions, and that you can match the 'nids with your marines.

• 1 month later...
Update III: REDEMPTION

" There is no sin so great, brother, no deed so foul that one cannot earn redemption.  There is always a path back to the light of the Imperium.  Whether your survive that redemption or not is another matter entirely."

Reclusiarch Tarik - Star Leopards 3rd Company

Well its been a while.  This was the update that I intended to put together at the start of the new year but life and procrastination have been hectic.  I haven't been idle though, having been working on both completing projects from last year as well as working on my Imperium subscription.  I know followers of the 12 MoH log would have seen these pictures and I haven't managed to get more to show here but I have completed this chap:

large.WarpsmithAfter.jpg.70fbdfc62705df1db2ac73b3c4c5b7e6.jpg.346b9606c10f3638fe6f1860c557d21b.jpg

This chap is a Warpsmith from my Slaneesh serving renegades, the White Talons.  Its not readily apparent here but they have a blue/black halves scheme with white gauntlets. The blue/black is a left over from when they were a plait allegiance force of Slaneesh/Tzeentch in their fluff but over the years I have moved them more to Slaneesh.  They aren't as hugely into the excess side of things but are obsessed with being the perfect warriors and devote everything to the need for that. As such they are quite arrogant and have a need for titles and to prove they are better then everyone else.  I have had this guy assembled and in primer since I got his when Eldritch Omens came out and it was good to finally get some paint on him.

large.BeastmanAfter.jpg.bc1fd5201f36aad580dd5d7745f68cc9.jpg.d869410240892ad0d6aac608a9b8cd85.jpg

This guy was next, one of the Minatures of the Month in store.  I painted him as part of the 2 Hour Challenge and am fairly happy with the results.  Thinking I may likely use him as a cultist champion.  The whole model was an experiment with painting styles for me, working mostly with Contrast paints, and I was quite happy with how he came out.

large.RedepmptorAfter.jpg.58b7f0ea75828fa173deec55b1e8e743.jpg.62a44c48fa22bc9788d7e93093f9c92a.jpg

So then I got this guy sorted.  I started this dread pre back injury and it was good to get him finished.  I had issues with transfers, issues with my brushed dying and just general issues all around.  He is a recycled model, however, being the one I originally painted for the Star Leopards from the Conquest Magazine series.  I have included a panel from a chaos rhino on his base as a nod too this.  My Death Guard army, the Angels of Decay, are white(ish) with blue shoulders so the panel could come from theirs.  He also has the Plague War campaign badge from the Leviathan box set so thats another tie in there.  There is the necron parts on the base too to tie him to my repaint for Imperium.  I do intend on eventually getting a lot of the Conquest stuff redone for the Interdictors as Primaris just don't suit the Star Leopards theme.

large.ManufactorumAfter.jpg.9c19666f7cbe1222537c3cc26fa199c6.jpg.c8476a6c978be1e4bda5a32474f31bda.jpg

Weeks of procrastination and agonizing led to these.  Thankfully;y the last building ruins I get in Imperium and I was glad to get them done.  Just needed to keep reminding myself that its just terrain and not to go too hard into the details.  I am most happy with the "HELP" written in blood on the wall with a couple of bloody hand prints.

large.TombBlade2After.jpg.01ae3dec356c5e2b8d497db458dc20f2.jpg.c3921648129142b4d2c3d32bea335098.jpglarge.Wraith2After.jpg.1def7b3e54bad1ba10192450c34741fa.jpg.20f6f73513e06a3eaf69d1a688fdec2e.jpg

Then I did these for my necrons.  I am not happy with either and so lets just say the less said about them the better.

Anyway, old model picture spam done, where am I going from here?  When I first started this blog I had a plan of what I was going to try to get done by years end and that plan fell apart horribly.  But with my back rapidly on the mend and I am trying to work on my time management and fitting what I want to do in life with what I need to do I am looking to form a rough monthly plan... ish.  My Imperium Subscription is all over the show.  Payments haven't come out.  Deliveries have been delayed.  Communication with Hachette has been... difficult, at best.  Despite only ever having two payments no come out, one my fault one theirs, I am somehow vastly behind with the magazine and they are now telling me to order all so as to avoid missing out as they are stopping making it soon.  I am going to need to try and find the money to order myself back to where I thought I should be.  This will, however, mean I can hopefully get a lot of what I am hoping to get done perhaps sorted earlier.  

Some of you may also remember my "Tale of Nine Armies" attempt a few years back where I was going to paint nine of my own armies at once.  It was madness, stupidly and out right unrealistic.  And its back.  Sort of.  I am going to move back to working my armies up via milestones and try to keep things moving on this front.

First goal on that is 500pt forces.  Was originally going to be Combat Patrol Forces but that would require too many models.  So the Eight armies I will start with and what I need to get them to 500pts is as follows:

Almwat Dynasty (Necrons)

500pts Complete

Interdictors (Astartes)

500pts Complete

Angels of Decay (Death Guard)

- Plague Surgeon

- Tallyman

Craftworld Eldar

- Autarch Skyrunner

- Rangers x5

Hive Fleet Koios (Tyranids)

- Neurotyrant and Neurolids x1

- Hormagaunts x10

- Termagaunts x10

- Neurogants x12

New Eden Rifles (Imperial Guard)

- Combat Patrol Box (Yep... the whole thing)

- Hellhound x1

WAAAAAGH!!! Runtkilla (Orks)

- Meganobz x2

- Deffdread x1

White Talons (Heretic Astartes)

- Chaos Lord on foot x1

So thats the plan.  I hope to get all this sorted by end of July.  Plus Imperium stuff,  And a few other things.  Oh and hopefully most of my 12MoH Plodding Along vow.

But with vague six month plans out its time to crunch down to some smaller goals and figures.  I hope to try to get a lot of the Tyranids and the Chaos lord done for the rest of this month.  As well as possible catching up on some of my skipped Imperium Models.  So lets say

February Goals:

Chaos Lord on Foot

Neurogaunts

Neurotyrant and friends

Stretch goal of Sisters from Imperium

March Goals:

The March for March - Full Imperial Guard Army.  All my bits for them should have arrived so will see how that goes.

Right then.  Old pics and wall of words out of the way, lets get to work.