If I Were a Moral Man - Angron WIP

Guiltysparc

Whenever I've done big monster type models I've always drybrushed skin...I didn't do that with this since the armor was already done.  Definitely out of my confront zone doing the skin with layering, but I think I'm happy with it, though parts of the tail still looks a little flat to me.  Mayhap I'll revisit it later on.

Next up will be the face, which is much more in my layering wheelhouse, and then I'll start tackling the other subassemblies.

20231221_135409.thumb.jpg.d7f0d99b9cccff68f8036b9d61c4329d.jpg20231221_135533.thumb.jpg.95cd9e1741b6131c19360ab5d1bdab26.jpg20231221_135438.thumb.jpg.48c0281bd681bddc06f093b020955974.jpg

9 hours ago, StraightSilver said:

This is all coming together beautifully, looking fantastic already. Never really paid this model much attention before but it's actually a lovely kit by the looks of it. Loving the brass armour, can't wait to see the skin. :)

Thank you!

Re the kit, ya, I've found both the assembly and painting process so far to be quite a delight.

Edited by Guiltysparc

Looking great, I see you’ve attracted the attention of papa nurgle he’s probably displeased with your devotion to Khorne !!

the model is really coming together, I nearly forget that there’s arms and wings to go on as well !!! :laugh:
I actually like the level of work on the skin tone you’ve done, and I expect you’re going to make the face pop so I think that’s going to look really well done. 
what colour wings is my next big question :tongue:…?!?.. 

keep up the awesome work !

Cheers, M

Edited by Mumeishi

51 minutes ago, Mumeishi said:

Looking great, I see you’ve attracted the attention of papa nurgle he’s probably displeased with your devotion to Khorne !!

Bro, I was so sick.  I was laid out with a fever for 3 straight days, then just laid out for another 3, never been so sick in all my 40 years lol

I’m getting Angron for Christmas :wub:, so I’m learning from your work here, although I want to do him with white pasty skin as though he’s transformed straight from 30k Angron into a monstrous creature but the same look, same gold armour like you did though :thumbsup:  I was thinking of doing his wings as though his brown leather cape was transformed by the warp into wings !! …

cheers M  

That's some really nice work - the abs and the vein on the torso are really nicely picked out. I can see an argument for being a little more aggressive with the highlights on the tail, but it looks absolutely fine as it is, IMHO - it's perfectly "readable", and the purple "mace" on the end of the tail looks great, and draws the eye anyway (especially in the first image). :smile: 

True flu is something of "a bear", and it can be a surprise how hard it hits. :sad: Good to hear you're feeling better. :smile: 

10 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

I’m getting Angron for Christmas :wub:, so I’m learning from your work here, although I want to do him with white pasty skin as though he’s transformed straight from 30k Angron into a monstrous creature but the same look, same gold armour like you did though :thumbsup:  I was thinking of doing his wings as though his brown leather cape was transformed by the warp into wings !! …

cheers M  

I came across this during my initial research and thought the pale skin he went with was super cool.  He uses oil paints and such, but it might give you some good ideas for color choices. 

2 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

That's some really nice work - the abs and the vein on the torso are really nicely picked out. I can see an argument for being a little more aggressive with the highlights on the tail, but it looks absolutely fine as it is, IMHO - it's perfectly "readable", and the purple "mace" on the end of the tail looks great, and draws the eye anyway (especially in the first image). :smile: 

True flu is something of "a bear", and it can be a surprise how hard it hits. :sad: Good to hear you're feeling better. :smile: 

Thanks Firedrake, I always appreciate your critiques! 

Very nice :thumbsup:

The teeth and tongue look great. :smile: 

Part of me wonders if having the eyebrows and nose a little lighter would balance the eyes with the mouth, but the other part of me says the face is nicely balanced as-is. :smile: 

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

I really appreciate the comments about the teeth/mouth.  I did something a little different than what I would normally do.  For the top row of teeth, instead of highlighting the whole tooth, I ran the highlights in the upper part (towards the gums).

I got the idea watching this Sam Lenz video and, at first I thought it was odd, but then after he was done I really liked the effect it has.  Glad it worked for me too!

:laugh: Oh yeah !!!, I went back and looked and you know you don’t notice it till someone tells you … it seems to work really well !!. 
(I get my Angron box tomorrow…ooh one more sleep :tongue:

I’m really looking forward to seeing how you tackle the sword and Chain Axe ! 

cheers,M 

1 hour ago, Mumeishi said:

:laugh: Oh yeah !!!, I went back and looked and you know you don’t notice it till someone tells you … it seems to work really well !!. 
(I get my Angron box tomorrow…ooh one more sleep :tongue:

I’m really looking forward to seeing how you tackle the sword and Chain Axe ! 

cheers,M 

Yessss, congrats!  It's such a great model, especially if you're a die hard WE devotee.

I started in ok the wings today these are painting up pretty quick so far.  Lots of drybrush to set things up and then I'll be adding some layering to everything as well to bring in some brighter points.

20231223_194130.thumb.jpg.039a923dedd1a24f41219a15a81c4335.jpg

9 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Those wings look great already !! What’s the pink/purple colour on the bony parts ?!, it looks great :wub:… 

Cheers, M 

The pink is screamer pink, shaded with nuln oil, highlighted back up with screamer pink and then pink horror.  I'll do a top highlight of pink horror mixed with a white as well.  I believe the next paint above pink horror is emperor's children, but I don't have that one so I'll just mix up something a little less saturated.

3 hours ago, Mumeishi said:

Sorry to hijack your thread with my pics but…Santa gave me something a day early :cool:

IMG_9316.thumb.jpeg.935e9ace5c66c0d46dad6202cf381417.jpeg

Woo hoo, congrats!