Deal with GW/Amazon signed

After a bit of radio silence a confirmation that the deal with Amazon for Warhammer themed media is signed and got the go-ahead.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/18/warhammer-amazon-contracts-signed-the-news-every-warhammer-fan-has-been-waiting-for/

We'll see what happens. I'm assuming that there's already been some tentative plots/screenplays been worked on by some of GW's in-house writers. Now the decision of whether to start with live-action or animated, and whether or not to do a series with established characters/storylines or new stuff, will start. 

54 minutes ago, Cyrox said:

Well, thats a good bit of news indeed, although the timing is interesting.

Prob posted to keep the naysayer's quiet and quash the rumour that it had all gone belly up

I thought that, it's a bit of a slow news week anyway and it's remarkably well timed after a year of silence to those rumours being a week before.

From a financial post this morning (bold parts are mine):

"Games Workshop has entered an agreement with Amazon's Content Services subsidiary for the prospective development of its Warhammer 40,000 universe into films and television series, alongside the associated merchandising rights. The deal grants exclusive rights to Amazon for film and TV series set within the universe, as well as an option for exclusive rights in the Warhammer Fantasy universe down the line. "Games Workshop and Amazon will work together for a period of 12 months to agree creative guidelines for the films and television series to be developed by Amazon. The agreement will only proceed once the creative guidelines are mutually agreed between Games Workshop and Amazon," the UK company said. It added that it will make no change to its forecast for its financial year ending in June. Games Workshop had announce an agreement in principle with Amazon in December last year."

3 minutes ago, Dried said:

I think because it's an "Regulatory News" announcement they wanted to release before the London Stock Exchange is opening.

Probably a good point. Normally their news is at least within a couple hours of 8am Eastern USA timezone, so this one is early compared to that. Makes sense that they'd want the news out before trading begins (also a reason to release the news on a Monday morning). 

1 minute ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Probably a good point. Normally their news is at least within a couple hours of 8am Eastern USA timezone, so this one is early compared to that. Makes sense that they'd want the news out before trading begins (also a reason to release the news on a Monday morning). 

I don't know about the London Stock Exchange, but my wife is working in a French Financial PR Agency and she has to release this type of communication outside of the stock exchange opening hours.

So somebody finally reacted to the rumours of incompetent handling of the Amazon deal and they finally signed something both parties could agree to?

Man, if we have to whistleblow and prod GW every single time like that, I want free shares.

To be perfectly frank, a year from pre-deal to deal is fairly typical. I doubt the blatant troll post actually had any bearing on this being announced.

I'll be curious to see how this pans out. Amazon are already tackling a good few video games now (Fallout, God of War and allegedly Mass Effect), although I'd say the options they've gone with so far are considerably easier to adapt than Warhammer. Games Workshop are much more defensive of their IP / brand these days, and I doubt they'll let Amazon run away into silly territory with it.

It's interesting they've left the door open for Warhammer Fantasy, though. Definitely an easier setting to adapt, and certainly one that could perform well given the right direction.

5 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

2 options... We get good stuff like Reacher or trash like RoP and WoT

The thing pointing towards Reacher, is the fact that Cavill is producing. Having someone in charge who likes and respects the source material is crucial, and not having hacks who want to change things to suit their own political views and agenda “coughwheeloftimecough”

Just now, Redcomet said:

The thing pointing towards Reacher, is the fact that Cavill is producing. Having someone in charge who likes and respects the source material is crucial, and not having hacks who want to change things to suit their own political views and agenda “coughwheeloftimecough”

Yeah agreed.

I have plenty to say on WoT/RoP and Amazon Studios in general...

I really hope Henry has the power to do what he needs to and not having certain idiots infest it.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

I would earnestly wait and see what the end result is from Fallout before drawing a line towards what we might be able to expect from Warhammer.

LOL Joe... Given what they have done to RoP and WoT its quite relevant :)... 

And also given one of the producers I am not holding onto hope... 

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

41 minutes ago, Joe said:

To be perfectly frank, a year from pre-deal to deal is fairly typical. I doubt the blatant troll post actually had any bearing on this being announced.

It probably had a little bit to do with timing, but I agree that the rumor wasn't the real reason GW made the announcement. These sort of deals take a lot of time to work through all of the details; when you are talking about a company like GW that is extremely protective, and litigious, over its IP and another company in Amazon that is trying to maximize its presence, and revenue, in the television/film industry, going from a deal in principle to a full-blown 12 month authorized prospective development deal in only a year seems very reasonable. I wouldn't want to be the people in charge of doing the negotiating on merchandising right- that would have been hell...