Deal with GW/Amazon signed

49 minutes ago, Doghouse said:

I will be interested to see how more mainstream audiences view any potential 40k series to be honest.

I think this is where modest budgets will help

Theyre not going to be able to afford to film the likes of The Battle of the Backstards for 3 months like GOT, so they wont try to do big CGI heavy or hordes of extras.

So I guess/hope/expect they do more character driven but relatively accessible stuff

Something Firefly esque with some Rogue Traders is doable.

10 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

I think this is where modest budgets will help

Theyre not going to be able to afford to film the likes of The Battle of the Backstards for 3 months like GOT, so they wont try to do big CGI heavy or hordes of extras.

So I guess/hope/expect they do more character driven but relatively accessible stuff

Something Firefly esque with some Rogue Traders is doable.

Godzilla Minus One is a 15m budget.

Great things can be done.

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

4 hours ago, mecanojavi99 said:

I fail to see where is the problem in doing a mainstream show? The Clone Wars started as a weekly Cartoon Network show and ended up becoming one of the most beloved Star War series ever created.

A series is good or bad based solely on it's content, not the audience it's aimed at.

Mainstream on its own isn’t the issue. Game of Thrones in its golden era was mainstream and done incredibly well. 

The problem with our IP is that if it’s done too right (or arguably too wrong), it’s going to be too weird for people. Think about your friends or family members who latched onto GoT, who weren’t typically considered a fantasy or medieval era fan; they tolerated that show because the story beats and characters were interesting enough to make up for the weird accents, masochism, violence and “magic”.

Now imagine those same people when they see a daemon, xenos or crazy lobotomized imperial religious nut. Is this series going to have enough character and story to make people see past those things? My wife watched GoT with me; I can’t see her watching this unless the writing and direction is done insanely well. 

And if the show/series sacrifices story and tries to pander to everyone because diversity, instead of focusing on a great story and narrative, I can’t see myself watching either. 

Lastly, they need to go all out with the special effects. A poorly rendered space marine has the potential to look really bad. Doubly so for the myriad aliens and chaotic things that will be out there. 

This thing has to hit such a small and perfect target I can’t see them pulling it off. 

Edited by EnsignJoker

As an entry point to the universe / advertisement for the game, I could actually see Emperor's Spears working fairly well - it has Primaris Space Marines as the main characters, who are handily introduced by a narrator from another chapter. Antagonists are

not only chaos, but also erstwhile allies of the Protagonists, which gives extra personal stakes, and also work as extra advertisement for (arguably) the second largest faction of the setting

2 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Valrak baited and drew out an update from GW

masterful play, Val. Well done. 

Anybody find that super weird ? Like Valrak come up with a confirmed source that GW exec :cuss:ed up and than exactly a week later. They annonce that they signed the contract with amazon ?

Smells like somebody got pretty scared that investors finds out to be honest...

I hope they get people who know how to write for TV to write the shows. No disrespect to the BL authors but I've seen some of the best write in other mediums and not do well. Being a skilled novelist doesn't mean you'll be  a great TV writer. Hopefully thry can act as lore consultants though.

Just keep in mind, this announcement is that they've signed a contract and are now going to spend time ironing out the broad strokes of what a show or movie might look like. From there, they'd have to commission a specific project – a series, a movie, whatever. To put this in perspective, the Fallout series was announced back in 2020, and will now premiere in 2024. 

There's a good chance that even if everything goes smoothly we won't see any footage until 2028. Covid surely played a role in the slow development of Fallout, but these processes often drag on for years, even when Grandfather Nurgle isn't concocting new delays. 

Screen Shot 2023-12-18 at 4.03.50 PM.png

The boys has largely done its own thing. 

The rings of power was it's own thing.

Good Omens was a very faithful adaptation.

Invincible was mostly a faithful adaptation with some changes, but I beleive they were written by the original author.

I enjoyed Man in the High Castle and Reacher but I don't know enough to say how faithful to the source material they are.

40k is a sandbox. There's room there to copy stories or to be completely original. I don't mind either. I hope whatever they go with isn't a one season wonder.

13 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

I hope they get people who know how to write for TV to write the shows. No disrespect to the BL authors but I've seen some of the best write in other mediums and not do well. Being a skilled novelist doesn't mean you'll be  a great TV writer. 

Based off his novels I'd hope Nick Kymes role involves really enjoying the show when he watches it at home, and nothing more.

My thoughts: Finally, we may have a Gaunt's Ghosts tv series in the works...

Reality: The ink is still drying but things like this can still go belly up for ridiculous reasons. First, amazon may test the waters by porting over some of Warhammer TV content already in progress such as Pariah Nexus and the Hammer/bolter shorts while cooking up a couple of shows that will probably original content so that both amazon and GW can profit from it. And then maybe make a made for Amzaon only movie for the more die hard fans.

It'll be interesting to see whether they go with a single show (plus a film, given the Warhammer Community comments?) or multiple in the first instance.

Both Warhammer Crime and Horror could both be pushed out relatively cheaply and with only limited need for background to the setting. You don't need to know about Mandrakes to read The Oublette, for instance. In fact, are they even mentioned by that name?

The scope of it is so small that you must be able to push that type of content out relatively cheaply.

Although we obviously all want to see space Marines stomping around and aliens zapping people and demons drinking souls every episode. As others have mentioned, they will likely still keep the show human to appeal to wider masses. That way, they can have drama and soppy stuff,  friendships, love interest ect. With the occasional episodes with big super human Marines and daemons to keep things interesting/shock value. It'll also be cheaper budged wise not having CG in every scene. 

My guess is, a predominantly guard show, probably fighting against something easy to render/make-up like orks, tyranids if we're lucky, and the finale being a drop pod of Marines to save the day. 

We will all likely be disappointed as we are mostly marine fans, unless the story is good. 

6 minutes ago, tychobi said:

Here is hoping that the grimdark shines through.  What would really be a shame is if they fritter away this chance at showing off what makes 40k unique to try and please the masses by committee.  I think they should dive in on the aliens and weird stuff.  

You reminded me of the Vorlons in Babylon 5. Sometimes you can introduce something and just have it be mysterious for a long time.

5 hours ago, loginomicon said:

Anybody find that super weird ? Like Valrak come up with a confirmed source that GW exec :cuss:ed up and than exactly a week later. They annonce that they signed the contract with amazon ?

Smells like somebody got pretty scared that investors finds out to be honest...

Wasn't a confirmed source because the rumour didn't even make sense. It's totally not how these things work.....it was just deliberate clickbait. 

GW is simply setting misinformation  right. 

Edited by Waaagh?

If you leave out the things that make 40k interesting, why are you paying for the licence? 

If you leave out the poster children of the setting, why are you paying for their likeness? 

If you dont include the things whose sales support essentially everything else from gw, why bother? 

So yeah, space marines? :P You might only get one thing to test the waters, and if thats generic sci fi you may never get to follow it up, its not a genre known to make executives merciful after all :(