Battle for Macragge - Made To Order + Christmas Day Reveal

Ya back in the day it was like £40, with one of the main draws being the rulebook. You didn't get a lot of models and they were super low quality, so it didn't cost a lot.

But the prices have skyrocketed and they have some really wonky ideas of value proposition these days. Tacs are £35 now, 10 termagants are £27.5, and 10 stealers  are £32.5; £125 for all that plus terrain, spore mines and a cool pilot, of course £90 is a deal! Or...something like that. 

I was theoretically interested in this set - although having it with its proper box and booklet to play as a boardgame of sorts would have made the deal more palatable to me.

Without those bits, and at that price, I find they're beyond crazy.

Edited by Allart01

9 minutes ago, irlLordy said:

Don't forget, if you actually wanted to play with the minis in current games, you'd need to fork out a few quid more for the correct sized bases.

I thought the rule was that it was always legal to field a model on its original base, even if subsequent iterations of the same unit had different bases. 

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I thought the rule was that it was always legal to field a model on its original base, even if subsequent iterations of the same unit had different bases. 

Technically there's never been an actual rule in the core rules of 40k regarding base sizes. 

However, in tournament packs GW puts out for it's events they used to say "Use the base the model came with" but have now moved to saying "Use the base the current kit comes with" For example, here's the tournament pack for a 40k Grand Tournament being run at Warhammer World in Feb: https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2023/10/Blj7zdKE13tgbcum.pdf Page 6 confirms:

A Note on Basing: Many models are no longer produced on the bases they originally came with. Wherever possible, base your models according to their current boxed kit.

£90 = Hard nope from me

Given it is just the models, not books etc, £50 might have been a palatable cost, £60 at a push. £90 is silly money for this.

Not sure I would have got it then anyway as I'm planning on a frugal year this year for GW stuff (DA stuff previewed is already making that harder for me - I got the Lion for Christmas so may have to get him friends eventually)

For some reason I thought that last year's 3rd edition offering was a similar price, but even that was "only" £60. But then I distinctly recall people saying they'd pay extra for the ruins and plastic trees that came with the original 3rd Ed starter set; I guess they took those comments and ran with it this time!

It's a crazy price for the product they're offering, for sure. But then I suppose it also has to be worth it for them to produce this instead of more Angrons or whatever, right? 

I was seriously tempted by this as I wanted to paint up my old one for 30k and would have liked a second for 40k but the price has put me off completely. If it had come with the modern tactical squad and the new nids then I'd probably get it, but £90 for a crashed lander and some old tacticals (which I'd use at most for paint testers) and some old nids which I wouldn't use I can't really justify. Especially with the Steam Sales already gotten me this month.

• 2 months later...