Heresy Thursday - Blood Angels Upgrades

I like the Sword and Spear but the rest of it feels kind of meh to be honest, at least from a modeling side of things.

I would have liked to see more iconography on it, like if this legion specific, put blood drops or something on the arms or hands. Folks that want to scrape them off can to use them for other legions, but BA folks get a bit of extra flavor.

If you're going to do legion specific upgrades I wish they'd lean into it more

Edited by darkhorse0607

Not the Legion I would have thought of tbh given their fairly complete range and host of applicable bits from 40k (which might actually be a reason) but pretty cool!

If they stick with this, it could be great for some legions!

Well, that's a surprise! Had assumed it would be IF, as they have the wargear in Seige of Cthonia as well as their Liber Astartes options. Love a curveball release.

I like the designs personally. 'Released later this year' doesn't sound promising though.

Oh these are very nice - absolutely not my legion(s) but I feel they work well for heresy era blood angels. A bit of ornateness without being 40k levels over the top*. Really like the perdition weapons too

*note this is not a Diss against 40k, just an observation they have different styles.

I like the vehicle upgrade and will possibly buy one to see how the new plastic Pred will look next to my old Baal Pred, but I'm disappointed that they did not include sponson versions. I also do not see anything distinctively BA in this set and it looks very much like a generic one covering IF in one go (what is fine).

I'm not sold on the infantry upgrade pack. Assault cannon should be a generic release of 5x or even 10x in a set.

40 minutes ago, Doctor Perils said:

Oh these are very nice - absolutely not my legion(s) but I feel they work well for heresy era blood angels. A bit of ornateness without being 40k levels over the top*. Really like the perdition weapons too

*note this is not a Diss against 40k, just an observation they have different styles.

Id say modern modern 40k is actually more aligned with this aesthetic, the amount of bling has (thankfully) been dramatically reduced.

Regardless. This is truly a nice looking set. I do agree that maybe a blood drop or two on the hands would have been nice, and honestly I wish they'd make just a sprue of blood drop pendants like the ones on the bolt guns that could be purchased and added to marines at your discretion.

but the sword and spear are both very nice, the pistols never go amiss and the axe is fairly decent too. Less keen on the mace.

1 minute ago, Xenith said:

I don't know about Beta Garmon, as that's primarily titans I think, but there was fighting all over the sector, Like Nyrcon city or whatever it was called was on one of the othr plants in the garmon system. 

Yeah, I sort of equate it all to the Battle of Beta-Garmon as more an overarching thing, makes it simpler. But it'd be a nice pairing with LI for the next campaign book to cover the battles in that sector.

32 minutes ago, Xenith said:

I don't know about Beta Garmon, as that's primarily titans I think, but there was fighting all over the sector, Like Nyrcon city or whatever it was called was on one of the othr plants in the garmon system. 

Beta-Garmon still saw millions of casualties on both sides, including billions of civilians. Most of the fighting was done by the Imperial Army, with the Titans and Primarchs taking up the big flashy moments due to Black Library's fear of giving many mortal POVs. If they're wanting to put out a splat book to give the Solar Auxilia more love, then Beta-Garmon would be perfect for it, assuming they don't do Tallarn instead (whynotboth.gif).

Most of the parts look decent, but it feels rather odd to include only 1 assault cannon. Why not include more melee weapons in this kit and make a separate pack with 5/10 assault cannons?

1 minute ago, Varyn said:

Most of the parts look decent, but it feels rather odd to include only 1 assault cannon. Why not include more melee weapons in this kit and make a separate pack with 5/10 assault cannons?

If I had to guess, it's because it doesn't look that  much different to the plastic rotor cannons and they know the vast majority of people will just use those, whereas a single one in an upgrade pack people will stick on their Sergeant (in addition to the plastics).