I think I should have everything in this one except the gravis captain so an easy one to finish off if I want to do so for completeness of collecting combat patrols. 

I do prefer the current version for reasons others have said - nice to have a vehicle/big center piece in them. I also prefer the chaplain as the model choice. Just seems more DA than a captain to me.

It would be a shame if, given the lack of a DA specific unit/model, they dont include the upgrade sprue at least. 

On 1/21/2024 at 2:13 PM, Noserenda said:

Bear in mind combat patrol is not 40k, the captain may well be able to join the units in CP, and if you expand to 40k it suggests an obvious first purchase :D

Was confirmed on AT's review of the codex, captain is solo and doesn't have a LO enhancement either. 

On 1/21/2024 at 2:44 AM, MoriyaSchism said:

Gravis Captain is a bit weird. They included a character that can't join any of the units.

Same with the Ork combat patrol - you get a Warboss in Mega Armour than can only lead Meganobz :teehee:

Has anyone heard from GW about why the transfer sheet included in the Deathwing Assault box is different from the one pictured on it? E.g. the one advertised on the box has Angels of Redemption transfers, but inside the box it is just core DA iconography.

I assume it's a situation like with the Black Templars where there's a different transfer sheet in the upgrade pack than the combat patrol/unit boxes. Since they included two of the upgrade pack transfers, they didn't want to eat the cost of a third transfer sheet. I shot a note to CS, but was just curious if anyone had heard anything official.

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 3.05.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 3.05.19 PM.png

Like my feelings with their Dark Angel "range refresh" (and that term applies lightly to what they did), their new DA upgrade sprue, their new Deathwing terminator box, the new Belial (silly face sculpt/thumbs down), and now the new Dark Angel Combat Patrol box ... not impressed.  At all. About the only thing they released that I can praise is the new Asmodai model. 

Just stamp a space marine emblem on this box. About the only thing Dark Angel about it is an included upgrade sprue. Not impressed with what GW has done lately. 

Edit: Add that new DA decal sheet to my Asmodai column. That is a nice addition I will give them that. 

Edited by Helias_Tancred

20 minutes ago, Helias_Tancred said:

I think thats the most poorly received post I've ever made on B&C lol

Those are rookie numbers. You gotta pump those numbers up!

Edit: also, got a chuckle to see that the little dogpile is non-DA players, and the likes are from DA players. :laugh:

Edited by phandaal

Different regions or cities may have different habits. In real life I haven't seen any players play combat patrol mode here. IMO if you want to introduce a friend to 40K, and he just brought a combat patrol box, you can make him borrow/proxy some models and playing some low points, low intensity 40K games, instead of playing combat patrol mode games. Learning the patrol ruleset which similar to 40K but not exactly same, would possibly make a new player confused. 

So when evaluating a bundle box, I care about purchase value more, and "rules interactions" less. Leviathan box also contains character models which can't join any unit in the box, does it make the box not a good purchase? No. Of course you can have opposite answers. :tongue:

2 hours ago, brother_b said:

Combat patrol always felt like a gimmick to me as a reason to sell boxes.

Why not make combat patrol a regular game included in the main rules with special objectives and a smaller board? 

As for the box it’s very basic but looks like a good starter box if you couple it with something else.

That's how it used to be. It was a small extra section in the rulebook and called for a 4x4 table and max 300 points with unit limitations. No 2+ saves, no models with more than 2 wounds, no heavy weapons, etc.

6 hours ago, brother_b said:

Why not make combat patrol a regular game included in the main rules with special objectives and a smaller board? 

As for the box it’s very basic but looks like a good starter box if you couple it with something else.

They have... That's the whole point. 

Buying a 1500 point army is expensive. The whole point of CP is that it allows people to dip their toes into 40k without breaking the bank. 

It is a.gimmick to sell boxes but they come at a discount and CP is a self contained game. Personally I've played more games of CP than regular 10th. They've set it up well although there still some balance issues - but aren't there always.

7 hours ago, brother_b said:

That's literally what Combat Patrol currently is. Every list is included in the big rule book.

On 2/4/2024 at 3:11 PM, Flaherty said:

Has anyone heard from GW about why the transfer sheet included in the Deathwing Assault box is different from the one pictured on it? E.g. the one advertised on the box has Angels of Redemption transfers, but inside the box it is just core DA iconography.

I assume it's a situation like with the Black Templars where there's a different transfer sheet in the upgrade pack than the combat patrol/unit boxes. Since they included two of the upgrade pack transfers, they didn't want to eat the cost of a third transfer sheet. I shot a note to CS, but was just curious if anyone had heard anything official.

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 3.05.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-04 at 3.05.19 PM.png

I'd like to know as well.  I emailed customer service to ask them.  I guess it's not a big deal but they did advertise (or at the very least insinuate) it would be included with the box.  In the unlikely event they actually respond, I'll let you know what they say.

1 hour ago, crimsondave said:

I'd like to know as well.  I emailed customer service to ask them.  I guess it's not a big deal but they did advertise (or at the very least insinuate) it would be included with the box.  In the unlikely event they actually respond, I'll let you know what they say.

It's literally pictured on the box! They also did one of their surreptitious photoswaps. The image on the left is taken from the post on Reddit the day of the announcement, the pic on the right is the updated WC article. It's not a big deal in the scheme of things, and I'm 99% sure its going to be like the Black Templar situation. Still annoying though!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/18qfvl2/new_dark_angels/

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/25/angels-appear-on-christmas-day/

dark-angels.jpg

43 minutes ago, SalamandersBro said:

Any idea when this might be coming out? I have a leviathan sm half, a tech marine, Eradicator squad, and a 2nd dread. I think this would be a good compliment to what i have.

My guess would be when the new codex officially drops this spring.  Just  a guess, though.

• 2 weeks later...

An unfortunate response from GW. My guess is that the transfer sheet that is advertised on the Deathwing Assault box will eventually be released, in a fashion similar to the two different Black Templar sheets that exist. I just find the gaslighty tone annoying. The intended sheets may well be in the box, but the original solicitation and the PRODUCT PACKAGING clearly show another design. I don't really care about their "intention" when their advertisements are misleading. The least they could do is offer an honest answer. It seems they learned nothing from the Cursed City situation.

Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 1.04.02 PM.png

Sunday preview has been updated to include the Combat Patrol. Confirmed that it comes with two "Dark Angels Primaris Upgrade sprues... different from the Dark Angels Upgrades and Transfers described above" which means the old/current ones.

The Unforgiven return to the world of Combat Patrol with a revamped box for this fast and furious Warhammer 40,000 game mode. This box contains 19 miniatures, including a Captain in Gravis Armour, three Bladeguard Veterans, five Hellblasters, and 10 Intercessors. On top of that you’ll get two Dark Angels Primaris Upgrade sprues, and three transfer sheets containing 221 decals each – note that these are different from the Dark Angels Upgrades and Transfers described above.

epKzfZnZnjNIKCOw.jpg

//

That puts the value considerations at:

• Gravis Captain: £25.00
  • 3 Blade Guard: £35.00
  • 10 Intercessors: £37.50
  • 5 Hellblasters: ~£18.75
  • 2 Primaris Upgrades: £20.00 (or perhaps £17.00, as other chapters' doubled up sets cost)

£136.25 total, ~30% discount, assuming a £95 price.

As a refresher, the current one is:

• Chaplain: £25.00
  • Redemptor: £45.00
  • 5 Intercessors: ~£18.75
  • 3 Inceptors:  ~£35.00
  • 2 Primaris Upgrades: £20.00

£143.75, ~34% discount.

(Edit: note that I originally messed up the quick math, in case anyone quotes a pre-edited version of this post! Sorry.)

Edited by LSM