On 2/16/2024 at 11:09 AM, Flaherty said:

An unfortunate response from GW. My guess is that the transfer sheet that is advertised on the Deathwing Assault box will eventually be released, in a fashion similar to the two different Black Templar sheets that exist. I just find the gaslighty tone annoying. The intended sheets may well be in the box, but the original solicitation and the PRODUCT PACKAGING clearly show another design. I don't really care about their "intention" when their advertisements are misleading. The least they could do is offer an honest answer. It seems they learned nothing from the Cursed City situation.

Screen Shot 2024-02-16 at 1.04.02 PM.png

Take it to trading standards.

There was a scenery release a few years ago - I think for killzones and the Sunday imagery was misleading. It suggested it had more scenery than it actually did. I logged  a complaint with trading standards.

The transfer sheet that came with the Deathwing Assault is the correct transfer sheet for that box. None of the models in that set need battle line, close assault, etc. markings or squad numbers. The upgrade sheet it includes has script for the Knights' shields and ornamental transfers for Terminators. If you want to complain for the sake of it, go ahead, but insisting they include a sheet that's not appropriate for the models inside the box seems odd.

Edited by davextreme

2 minutes ago, davextreme said:

The transfer sheet that came with the Deathwing Assault is the correct transfer sheet for that box. None of the models in that set need battle line, close assault, etc. markings or squad numbers. The upgrade sheet it includes has script for the Knights' shields and ornamental transfers for Terminators. If you want to complain for the sake of it, go ahead, but insisting they include a sheet that's not appropriate for the models inside the box seems odd.

I think the complaint is more that in their initial publication and actually printed on the cardboard of the box is the other transfer sheet. So they likely intended the one that did end up coming with it, but there was some mixup in there.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

29 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I think the complaint is more that in their initial publication and actually printed on the cardboard of the box is the other transfer sheet. So they likely intended the one that did end up coming with it, but there was some mixup in there.

Sure. I don't get the outrage, though. The marketing materials and box art had the wrong photos. It happens. Would I prefer that no one ever makes a mistake, and that GW had better quality control? Sure. But the transfer sheet that we got is the correct one. As errors go, it's mostly harmless.

The alternative would be to, what, recall every box, reprint it, and repackage it? It would mean GW eating a significant cost and delaying the box by many months for little reason.

Edited by davextreme

2 hours ago, davextreme said:

Sure. I don't get the outrage, though. The marketing materials and box art had the wrong photos. It happens. Would I prefer that no one ever makes a mistake, and that GW had better quality control? Sure. But the transfer sheet that we got is the correct one. As errors go, it's mostly harmless.

The alternative would be to, what, recall every box, reprint it, and repackage it? It would mean GW eating a significant cost and delaying the box by many months for little reason.

When I saw the ad for the box I got excited about official AoR transfers they advertised. I painted up a squad of intercessors in that two-tone heraldry in anticipation. When I got my box, I excitedly opened it so that I could finish off the squad with decals -- only to find a transfer sheet that didn't match the solicitation. I emailed CS simply asking if the promised sheet would one day be available so I could cap off ~10 hours of painting and after two weeks got a high-handed response that makes no acknowledgement of their error in labeling. Two weeks later, I was able to get an answer to my question in an unboxing video.

I don't expect a recall, or perfection, but there are a couple of pretty obvious remedies they could have attempted:

1. They could have owned up to the fact that they made an error! You make a logical case about the utility of the different transfer sheets. They could have just said *that* and made some bad joke about a Gretchin messing with the design files. A bit of honesty, and giving a heads-up about where/when/if the sheet with the Angels of Redemption and Guardians of the Covenant transfers would be available would have been the class move.

2. If they wanted to be really generous, they could have offered a copy of the transfer sheet to anyone who was really upset with the mislabeling and misleading advertising. My query to CS wasn't even asking for this! I just wanted to know if the product they advertised would be available!

It would have been the easiest thing in the world to turn this into a positive! The Dark Angels get not one, not two, but three transfer sheets befitting the legion with the largest armory. The stakes are so incredibly low!

I wasn't outraged by the fact that they made an error in labeling, I was frustrated that I was being gaslit by a company that I spend far too much money with every year! At the end of the day, this is among the smallest of frustrations a human can experience.

My hope is that someone at GW will notice this and it will join other anecdotes and help GW realize this communication style destroys trust among their community and they make a change to a more open style of interaction. What do you get out of defending obvious errors on the part of a $1B+ corporation?

Edited by Flaherty
Forgot a sentence.

@Joe Exactly! There would have been next to no cost and a bunch of goodwill generated if in response to the earnest questions of customers they simply replied – "We goofed! But worry not, the transfers you are after will be included in the Inner Circle and DW Knight boxes!"