Footguard in 10th

Hey guys, i haven't played any games of tenth yet, but want to give foot guard another crack.

How would you build a list at 2k.

i believe we can only have 6 types of each unit, so thinking

2 castellan

2 command squad

6 cadian chock troops

6 infantry squad

6 death korps of krieg

3 x 3 mortars?

3 kasrkin units

3 ratling snipers

The lack of anti-armour is even more worrying now that infantry squads no longer have the heavy weapons.

Should i swap out the mortars for lascannons? should i add in some new gun artillery thingies?

any advice gratefully received.

It's not lack of anti armor firepower, it's lack of any firepower. Infantry opponent would be easier? Possibly not, "their infantries" and "your infantries" may have different meaning. A popular and successful ultramarine infantry list consist of T6 and T7 models. Could guardsmen handle them with flashlights? 

However, this army style may have chance. Since the whole game plan is just a survivability vs firepower test, if opponent can't throw ~400 pre-save wounds, he can't table you and you have chance to win through scoring missions. Giving a 20 men krieg unit a marshal(fnp) and psyker(inv save) would increase the equivalent wounds of the unit to 60.

Well thats the most beautiful thing ive seen.

with the med kit upgrade, it does feel that krieg are the best infantry option, would you agree???

I worry about the delicate nature of the gun platforms and heavy weapons teams, do i stick to mortar and bombards, or is it worth risking lascannons?

1 hour ago, greatcrusade08 said:

Well thats the most beautiful thing ive seen.

with the med kit upgrade, it does feel that krieg are the best infantry option, would you agree???

I worry about the delicate nature of the gun platforms and heavy weapons teams, do i stick to mortar and bombards, or is it worth risking lascannons?

I think Kriegers are definitely the densest of the battleline troops.

Infantry squads with mortars might be slightly more potent in damage.

I think all of our battleline squads bring something to the table.  But definitely see a lot more Krieg and Catachan than Cadian. Fair amount of infantry squads too. 

6 hours ago, DemonGSides said:

I think Kriegers are definitely the densest of the battleline troops.

Infantry squads with mortars might be slightly more potent in damage.

I think all of our battleline squads bring something to the table.  But definitely see a lot more Krieg and Catachan than Cadian. Fair amount of infantry squads too. 

1 mortar really doesn't make any difference on killing power. Many lists include 1 infantry squad with mortar. The use is: Creed could active 2cp "Fields of fire" with cost of 0cp, to the target of mortar, without requirement to see the target. 

On 1/31/2024 at 4:21 AM, greatcrusade08 said:

The lack of anti-armour is even more worrying now that infantry squads no longer have the heavy weapons.

Should i swap out the mortars for lascannons? should i add in some new gun artillery thingies?

Infantry squads can take heavy weapons. 2 in a 20 man. 

12 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

If your loading up on Infantry Squads anyway you might as well load up their heavy weapons

Oh totally :yes:

Just being guardsmen, by the time hits wounds and saves are worked out, will they actually have damaged anything:ermm::tongue:

Then they die to a breeze in return. 

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Then they die to a breeze in return. 

Unless they're DKoK with a Marshall, then you get a 5+ FNP & d3 models back each turn.

A 20 man blob kicks out decent firepower, gets +1 to hit the minute you lose a model and +1 to W if you go below half strength and with a standard has 30 OC.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 8:37 AM, casb1965 said:

Unless they're DKoK with a Marshall, then you get a 5+ FNP & d3 models back each turn.

A 20 man blob kicks out decent firepower, gets +1 to hit the minute you lose a model and +1 to W if you go below half strength and with a standard has 30 OC.

at full str they are OC3 each. you could load up an objective with 60 plus 10 from command squad plus 2 from dkok marshall

Was gonna say but some have said it already, infantry squads can have heavy and special weapons and the sergeants can all have plasma pistols. I went for all missile launchers in my infantry squads for the versatility. Special-weapon-wise you could go for lots of meltas in both the battleline and command squads to help with armour and tough guys, or plasmas to give you more shots close up and take advantage of “first rank - fire! Second rank - fire!”

Speaking of command squads, you might want more than 2 as otherwise you won’t have many orders to spread around that many units. Give them all a master vox and 3 special weapons and power fist/plasma pistol for the characters, as everything is free anyway. You probably don’t want to go to the max but you can have up to 3 of each kind, remember …

You can actually tool up your infantry to the absolute max for so little points this edition. It’s just a shame the older kits didn’t have all those options. At the moment I’m stuck with laspistols and grenade launchers everywhere (although S9 krak grenades aren’t too shabby). For 180 points (command squad and 2 infantry squads) you get a 25-strong blob that can have 3 plasma pistols, 1 power fist, 2 power weapons, 3 meltas, a grenade launcher, a plasma gun, 2 lascannons/autocannons/missile launchers etc. and 12 lasguns. That’s a lot of dice to roll, especially as the whole unit can benefit from the platoon commander’s orders. Oh yeah, stand still and they get lethal hits too :)

I would definitely take the heavy weapon teams. Sure they are squishy but so is everything else! I mean why not? Personally I like having heavier guns like lascannons especially when you don’t have many anywhere else, but mortars have the advantage of being able to hide so yeah it’s just gonna be a personal choice here. 

Also you haven’t included any Militarum tempestus or ogryns. Ogryns might give you some punch against stronger stuff, but at the same time would probably get targeted first, especially with no transports. On the other hand, they might help your infantry to survive longer. 

Anyhow, I’m loving the concept of this list and I imagine it would be lots of fun to play.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Ive decided to stick with a strong core of cadian and platoon infantry, to make the most of special and heavy weapons.

My current build uses Creed, 3 castellan and 3 command squads to maximise orders.

Thinking of kasrkins in this kind of list, should i tool them up for coming in from reserves, i.e melta/plasma or have them in one of the back waves with longer range weapons such as HSVG and grenade launchers?

18 minutes ago, greatcrusade08 said:

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Ive decided to stick with a strong core of cadian and platoon infantry, to make the most of special and heavy weapons.

My current build uses Creed, 3 castellan and 3 command squads to maximise orders.

Thinking of kasrkins in this kind of list, should i tool them up for coming in from reserves, i.e melta/plasma or have them in one of the back waves with longer range weapons such as HSVG and grenade launchers?

I think melta/plasma as you can use them to full effect with the deep strike. Even if you drop them in the backfield there will probably be plenty of enemies nearby to shoot by that time anyway.

Oops I made a slight error - Kasrkin don’t have deep strike, it’s the tempestus scions that have that. I’d still take the same guns though. 

Snipers can be handy but in what squad? You’ve got the ratlings in there I see.

On 1/31/2024 at 4:21 AM, greatcrusade08 said:

Hey guys, i haven't played any games of tenth yet, but want to give foot guard another crack.

How would you build a list at 2k.

i believe we can only have 6 types of each unit, so thinking

2 castellan

2 command squad

6 cadian chock troops

6 infantry squad

6 death korps of krieg

3 x 3 mortars?

3 kasrkin units

3 ratling snipers

What do you mean infantry squads no longer have heavy weapons?

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

What do you mean infantry squads no longer have heavy weapons?

Yeah ignore that, issue with battlescribe showing no HWT option. Its been sorted since.