4 minutes ago, Shinespider said:

Huh, seems folks were mostly wrong about the mount. Most said it was going to be a kind of Kroot/Crocodile deal, but this thing doesn't look related to the Kroot at all. It's just a random beast that they've tamed. 

Happy to be wrong.

If kroot aren't kroot kroot mc kroot.

Maybe wolves won't be

Swing and a miss for me. I've liked all the other Kroot previews but not this one. I would have loved to have seen something leaning more into their weird tech side than their sort of primitive fantasy race side - something like a jetbike unit, a skimmer, a gun platform, or a techno-shaper with an exoskeleton. 

Really nice looking mount, especially in the orange and red colours, I think it's quite neat that's it's not another Kroot-like. I like the big gun option on the rider over the spears but both are good.

It's a shame it looks like we aren't going to be seeing a great big beastie this time, it would have really been the cherry on top for this release. I still think it's a great update for Kroot though.

I actually like that it isn't another Kroot sub-species, and the chameleonic nature should lead to some nice community paintjobs. Overall think they've done a great job on this Kroot release, although a slight shame there wasn't a Knarloc in it.

Not a fan, there's hints of geko, armoured catfish and axolotl and a few others in there whilst not ending up with anything of note imo.

The claws are flat and nearer nails lacking a curved edge, the fronds don't seem pronounced enough to stand out, the armour plates aren't covering enough so it looks smooth skinned rather than like a reptile. Nor do I like the lumps under the tail.

It just feels very "here's a random horse frog" rather than a war-beast to me. I kinda hoped for a star wars boga instead

8 minutes ago, grailkeeper said:

I see a few bits from the rumour engine on here. Those spears on the back and the longspear itself.

Interestingly last night I came across this image from Magic the Gathering which looks very Kroot like but came out in 1998.

Screenshot_20240219_061727_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nightstalkers, and yes, it gets even worse/better when you see their other cards ;)

39 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

I actually like that it isn't another Kroot sub-species, and the chameleonic nature should lead to some nice community paintjobs. Overall think they've done a great job on this Kroot release, although a slight shame there wasn't a Knarloc in it.

Imho the knarloc isnt entirely unexpected from the moment the cavalry unit wasnt based on them. With corsairs too they almost completely ignore FWs work.. and I think there are reasons for it.

if the mount was a kroot sub-species it would emphasize kroots evolution nature.. when looking at kroot as a seperate army, that would maybe have been better, but it isnt a completely seperate army and in the Tau army it helps emphasize the multi-species nature more, wich is great.

In the bigger picture I think this choice helps expand the 40k setting. Both on a thematic level and potential..  Catachan Lord Solar conversion ? ( or indeed Loxatl )

Its one of those things where I want both the original, and another kit to make something from it... Maybe a herald on Juggernaut conversion that can run with Flesh hounds.. hmm.. Kroot as a basis for Bloodletter alternatives.

In short I love it ;)

Curious that they don’t seem to be Kroot-forms, but I quite like this model. Might have to pick up each option!

1 hour ago, soviet1337 said:

Swing and a miss for me. I've liked all the other Kroot previews but not this one. I would have loved to have seen something leaning more into their weird tech side than their sort of primitive fantasy race side - something like a jetbike unit, a skimmer, a gun platform, or a techno-shaper with an exoskeleton. 

None of that sounds particularly Kroot-like to me, nor particularly unique to 40k. The only real interesting tech we see Kroot use is smaller gadgets or trophy weapons

22 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

With corsairs too they almost completely ignore FWs work.. and I think there are reasons for it.

My one-word refutation for this is Krieg

Something having been made first (or popularized) by Forgeworld absolutely doesn't preclude it from being folded in to the main range at a later date.

13 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

My one-word refutation for this is Krieg

Something having been made first (or popularized) by Forgeworld absolutely doesn't preclude it from being folded in to the main range at a later date.

How exactly does that refute that they didnt include knarlocs in the Kroot release or based Corsairs more on older eldar artwork and completely ignore FWs corsairs ??

edit :

To emphasize, I didnt say or didnt mean that they dont fold FW stuff in the main range, there was no hidden or subtle extra message to my post ( Im way too wordy for subtlety :p ). I merely meant that there may be reasons that some ( to me unknown and unspeculated ) things dont get translated exactly.. wich isnt an opinion but a fact in those examples.

Edited by TheMawr