Well calling it the final reveal is the only thing that disappoints me, because it means no Knarlocs.

Damn I wanted those back.

Don't get me wrong- I'm still happy about the release- there isn't a model in it I don't like. But Knarlocs man- the greater variety in particular- they're pretty iconic, and it's a shame GW didn't give us one.

Lovely model – my only slight hesitation being that the legs look oddly short. I hope that's just a quirk of the pose and/or photo angle, but the slightly more human-like  and bulkier proportions of the new Carnivores is making me wonder.

Other than that, great! While I would have been very happy with the steed being a new krootform, it's quite refreshing to see a different approach. I love the poncho, and looks there's a nice variety of heads and weaponry for the rider. 

14 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Well calling it the final reveal is the only thing that disappoints me, because it means no Knarlocs.

Damn I wanted those back.

Don't get me wrong- I'm still happy about the release- there isn't a model in it I don't like. But Knarlocs man- the greater variety in particular- they're pretty iconic, and it's a shame GW didn't give us one.

I’m stoked with what we got, but it is a shame we didn’t get more actual units nor the return of those classic FW sculpts. At least the Krotoox Rampagers will allow those who own them to proxy the Knarloc cavalry

14 minutes ago, apologist said:

Lovely model – my only slight hesitation being that the legs look oddly short. I hope that's just a quirk of the pose and/or photo angle, but the slightly more human-like  and bulkier proportions of the new Carnivores is making me wonder.

Other than that, great! While I would have been very happy with the steed being a new krootform, it's quite refreshing to see a different approach. I love the poncho, and looks there's a nice variety of heads and weaponry for the rider. 

428600274_801692472002019_2646914327405832607_n.thumb.jpg.98f7abfab5537e9dfbc8e0173ccf247d.jpg

Personally I think it looks better from this angle ( also prefer the paintjob )

1 hour ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Well calling it the final reveal is the only thing that disappoints me...

Sorry, I'm not seeing where this is said? Was it said on social media? (Not doubting, just... don't see that in the article itself...)

Edit: I see now - ta.

Edited by LSM

6 hours ago, Halandaar said:

My one-word refutation for this is Krieg

Something having been made first (or popularized) by Forgeworld absolutely doesn't preclude it from being folded in to the main range at a later date.

99% of the time poorly.* (Like Krieg imo)

That said people have some steep survivorship bias for stuff moving to plastic.

If I had a dollar for every time someone said "they're moving FW to plastic", and yet I could bring up countless models that don't. HH is an exception, not a rule.
I think this is our "Knarloc".

On the topic of this thing. Looks more meh than the silhouette. The creature is kinda dopey looking compared to previous kroot mounts.

image.thumb.png.37e1b65d07ef3096ff41a2e54994f873.png

*Actually all the HH vehicles and Cerastus are pretty decent visually at least

Edited by Orion

They clearly used the mata mata and a crocodile as ref, amongst the usual suspects like iguanas etc,

but the shapes they ended up with are just so boring.

The mata mata, as goofy as it is, has a really cool wedge shaped head, but the designers here just flattened it out the snout.

All the details are so medium as well. Needs a huge gullet, and beady eyes.

The flaps/whiskers are also so medium sized. Have a pair of giant ones, then some really tiny ones.

The eyes could also do with more of a heavy upper lid. Make it look meaner, thus "cool".

image.thumb.png.12221cd5b076718d94f07c8d917ee121.png

image.thumb.png.4518c3fb192d244397e923ea34ddedb0.png

I love this mini, and think it’s a sign that the 40k design team is being given more freedom like the AoS team.

As for “final” reveal I’ll be honest warcom have gotten stuff wrong before but could also be saying this is it so the actual last reveal is more surprising.

This rumour engine looks like it could be a great knarloc imo so I’ll hold out hope until it’s solved, the way the jaws would close would create a similar profile to a great knarloc mouth

IMG_8289.png.9916f4c5397d7335f15118a9fdd22c13.pngIMG_8290.jpeg.8a5568e76845e301e0e6b49930f2d57c.jpeg

Don’t think that’s a Greater Knarloc maw - too many teeth and not enough beak for that, unless they drastically redid the Greater Knarloc concept (at which point, just call it some other beastie instead).

I like the critter and the rider, so the Kroot may end up having to be a slow build adjunct to my Farsight army (not sure how much interaction there really is between those two groups anyway).

5 hours ago, TheRevolutionByNight said:

I love this mini, and think it’s a sign that the 40k design team is being given more freedom like the AoS team.

As for “final” reveal I’ll be honest warcom have gotten stuff wrong before but could also be saying this is it so the actual last reveal is more surprising.

This rumour engine looks like it could be a great knarloc imo so I’ll hold out hope until it’s solved, the way the jaws would close would create a similar profile to a great knarloc mouth

IMG_8289.png.9916f4c5397d7335f15118a9fdd22c13.png

This is supposed to be from an AoS Slaves to Darkness special character coming with the next Dawnbringers book, which checks out if you compare it to the mouths of the existing Varanguard mounts,

17 hours ago, soviet1337 said:

Swing and a miss for me. I've liked all the other Kroot previews but not this one. I would have loved to have seen something leaning more into their weird tech side than their sort of primitive fantasy race side - something like a jetbike unit, a skimmer, a gun platform, or a techno-shaper with an exoskeleton. 

I thought the Kroot were always primitive and backwards, except for their unexplained high tech Kroot spheres that no one can determine the provenance of, but assume the Kroot stole or inherited them? 

11 minutes ago, Xenith said:

I thought the Kroot were always primitive and backwards, except for their unexplained high tech Kroot spheres that no one can determine the provenance of, but assume the Kroot stole or inherited them? 

As a result of contact with (and consumption of!) orks, Kroot were/are capable of developing technology – hence the Warpsheres and warp flight – but they have a cultural adversion to doing so in all but exceptional cases (such as the ability to pursue inter-system transport).

They instead favour pursuing personal/societal genetic development through their roving mercenary actions. That’s where they get the majority of their ‘everyday’ tech, as they’re noted as being uncreative.

Edited by apologist