bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week series!

Following the release of the 10th edition Index, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will discuss the units from the units found within Index: Blood Angels, parts two to four will discuss Index: Space Marines, part five will be Imperial Armour, and part six will be Legends.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Chaplain on bike

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Chaplain on Bike?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? 
  • Are you taking multiples?
  • Which Detachment are you using?
  • What unit is he leading, if any?
  • What Deployment options are you using?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Please note that Chaplain, Chaplain in Terminator Armour, and Chaplain with Jump Pack will be discussed elsewhere.

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread), then submit a photo here please.

(Once I work out how best to float it!)

As an aside, the thread setup may change over the coming weeks until I'm happy with them. This includes the photos.

He is quite good character, but units he can attach to are not for him. He gives valuable bonus to wound but outriders have no weapon options to boost and not enough attacks to make their chainswords a weapon to be used en masse. The option to use chaplain solo is not worth it because his cost includes bonuses for his unit.

I think he has an edge use in Vanguard with the Lone Op enhancement. 

fast, tough, and decent in combat.

Edited by Paladin777

Personally I'm not playing enough at the moment to work down the list to the point he hits the table. A shame because he's a really nice model, but as mentioned above the ETB Outriders leave him in an awkward slot and not easy to drop in a list.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that his Catechism of Fire ability lacks a good pairing. Giving a handful of bolt rifles Dev Wounds is not especially strong (although they are twin-linked which helps a bit). You can add in an ATV but OGCs have Dev Wounds already so don't benefit and MMs don't really need it so much.

Surely that would depend on the target for the multi-melta?

Anyway, Bike Squads and Company Veterans with Bikes benefit greatly from Catechism of Fire given their access to special weapons. Although I appreciate this is becoming more and more of a niche choice.

Just now, Jolemai said:

Surely that would depend on the target for the multi-melta?

Yes, if the target has an Invulnerable save, it is a more significant buff. Otherwise AP-4 will get the job done against most targets.

Just now, Jolemai said:

Anyway, Bike Squads and Company Veterans with Bikes benefit greatly from Catechism of Fire given their access to special weapons. Although I appreciate this is becoming more and more of a niche choice.

Legends are always iffy as it depends on where you are playing as to whether they are available.