Terrax pattern Termite Assault Drill

There was at some point an idea about doing a tank only Tallarn game so they might well have art and fluff lying around to use.

Termites would be bloody awful to use there though, what with the occupants getting turned to goo :D 

it's a good choice of kit though as nearly every army can use them.

6 hours ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

… And arguably more importantly, these aren't interesting. Marines got a transport (their 7th) that can deepstrike (their 2nd). Their gimmick is that they can deepstrike, move, and even keep their guys embarked over the pod. But that's it? There's only so many ways to ask you to cram a tactical squad into a transport, and the rhino is already a  fantastic unit that moves 18" a turn. Why not give them to solar aux, and balance out the marine deepstrike a bit? 

Can't wait for the dreadclaw and kharibdys next lol.

Exactly. They’re neat and all, but I’m kinda transported out. The Land Raiders are just coming out this weekend, we need variety in troop choices not transports for said troops (or lack thereof). Astartes REALLY need a more viable option for CC to match the Axemen and Ogryn. 

Give us Despoilers or Assault Terminators… Primarchs or Legion-specific units or something. If they’re insistent on vehicles, we need Sabres and Felblades. 

Edited by DuskRaider

1 hour ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

A nice little model. Very disappointing it's for LI. Really feels like the past few months they do want to support HH anymore. Just dropping resin characters but not giving us proper plastic kits when we're still missing so much. 

My dude, we just got 6 new plastic HH heresy kits?

Malcador

Dracosan

Aethon Sentinel

Leman Russ

Lasrifle tercio

Veletaris

Command squad upgrade sprue

And then still a lot more stuff to come. (Mini sentinels, Baneblades, basilisks, etc) Both for SA as for Marines.

These sets might not be your cup of tea but saying they don't want to support heresy anymore is just not true when we just had a big old release/preview round.

25 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

Exactly. They’re neat and all, but I’m kinda transported out. The Land Raiders are just coming out this weekend, we need variety in troop choices not transports for said troops (or lack thereof). Astartes REALLY need a more viable option for CC to match the Axemen and Ogryn. 

Give us Despoilers or Assault Terminators… Primarchs or Legion-specific units or something. If they’re insistent on vehicles, we need Sabres and Felblades. 

Ya there's been no expanded infantry, which is super weird when marines are swimming in transports, and we know they are least thought of alternative heavy weapon squads with the Imperial fists rules. Alternatively, recons, breachers, veterans, despoilers and destroyers could all make the transports (and lists) way more interesting in general. 

The balance at the moment reads very much as solar aux=slow and unmaneuverable, but very deadly marines=fast, maneuverable and flexible, but not as deadly. Jetbikes and assaults are incredibly fast; terminators deepstrike and have solid anti infantry guns; contemptors have fantastic anti tank to pair with solid melee. I'd be shocked if they gave marines a melee unit equal to solar aux, as you'd be able to jam it into one of many assault vehicles and just...be better lol.

But all that aside, i totally agree on the different things. Where's the Sabres, the vindicator variants, the sicaran variants, the typhon and Cerberus, the fellblades? The stuff thatll really change the dynamic of a list up.

1 hour ago, irlLordy said:

We know there will be rules for termites and more superheavy tanks at least in next book, so Tallarn would be a good call. Maybe some special environmental rules for infantry, or a tank only mode to represent the setting could be included as well 

Where were the super heavies mentioned?

A previous article ??

EDIT: I was assuming SM Super Heavies, I saw the Solar one, you probably meant that...

Edited by Interrogator Stobz

18 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Where were the super heavies mentioned?

A previous article ??

EDIT: I was assuming SM Super Heavies, I saw the Solar one, you probably meant that...

Yes, the shadowsword and the other baneblade variants that box will build were the super heavies I meant. Like the termites, we know they're coming but don't have rules for them yet. I wouldn't be surprised to see SM superheavies alongside them though, especially if the book is set on Tallarn.

These Termites are lovely models and 8 to a box is OK but 3 hefty rule books to field one army just seems like going in the wrong direction to me. We need one consolidated book with everything in not these piecemeal releases. 

I'm still not fully bought in to LI like I am for AT. I got the starter box and a couple of Baneblade boxes but I'm just waiting for the Leman Russ and Malcador boxes. 

The odd thing is we have the Russ chassis and Malcador variants box but not the Malcador. 

I want my Armoured Company dammit 

Cheers

Vogon

Edited by Vogon

The piecemeal approach can work when there is a core army available; the additions are optional; and they are sold relatively affordably.

Adeptus Titanicus took this approach, with the Warlord, Reaver and Warhound all in the main rulebook; and subsequent expansions introducing other Titans one by one. It's not my favourite way of doing army lists, but I understand the commercial pressures of rolling new units out over time. In the scenario of AT, it worked fine, even if it was annoying to cart around an extra book for your Warbringer Nemesis, Dire Wolf or whatever.

Epic: Legions Imperialis is very different. The main rulebook has launched with a pair of army lists that are oddly weighted and – owing to the release schedule – were not properly useable for months. Expansions are rolling out a scant handful of units at a time of an army list that, unlike Adeptus Titanicus, already exists in the form of the 40k-scale game. 

As a result, we're not getting happy surprises of new optional types of Titan to add to a solid core, but dribs and drabs of largely unrelated units that fit into, but don't expand, the incomplete list in the core book. The crucial difference is that you can have a fun game of Titanicus even now with just the core book; while Legions seemingly requires you to carry and cross-reference multiple books to a game, as the core list is so oddly truncated.

If Adeptus Titanicus were a meal, the core rulebook would be your meat and vegetables; and the expansions would be side dishes.

Meanwhile, the Legions Imperialis release has seemed more like being served a plate of gravy and half a dozen potatoes, and the waiter coming in every half an hour with a serving of peas or a slice of beef.

Edited by apologist

Let’s hope that they intend to do a compendium soon. The Loyalist and Traitor compendiums for AT are a godsend, as prior to that I was lugging around 3+ books at times. 

I’ve found BattleScribe helps with this a lot as well. You can print out your army list and it has all of the rules listed as well. It can end up being a novel’s worth of paper at times but it beats carrying multiple books. 

1 hour ago, DuskRaider said:

Let’s hope that they intend to do a compendium soon. The Loyalist and Traitor compendiums for AT are a godsend, as prior to that I was lugging around 3+ books at times. 

I’ve found BattleScribe helps with this a lot as well. You can print out your army list and it has all of the rules listed as well. It can end up being a novel’s worth of paper at times but it beats carrying multiple books. 

Didn't the AT compendiums take 3 years to appear? If I'm not mistaken the games launch was in 2018 and the Loyalist/Traitor compendiums where 2021.

AT got two expansion books each in 2019 and 2020 if I'm not mistaken and LI seems to go the same way.

Don't forget that the launch was delayed by 3 months and I'm pretty sure that reduced the time between it and the first expansion book. If it released in August as originally planned and The Great Slaughter would have still released in February that would have been 6 months. And since we should be getting a few more unrevealed new kits for the next book it is unlikely to release before Heresy Thursdays come back in July (based on last year) so its not unlikely the next book also takes until August to release so another 6 months which results in two book per year.

Which would be the same as AT so I wouldn't expect any compendiums until late 2025

Edited by Matrindur

it confuses me that they keep previewing things that won't release for months.  The whole point of previewing things is to build hype for product releases, but a preview of a model kit that could show up at any point 3 -15 months from now doesn't build hype, it makes you a meme.

I agree with the Apologist. These are totally different beasts. One was handled excellently, and the other is an embarrassment to GW.

In the beginning,  AT18 got an entire, playable, and fairly balanced game, and access to all the minis needed. Then it got expansions with new minis to make it even better.

Now, it looks like it's mostly concluded with the awesome compendiums.

LI23 began poorly; delays aside, it has a fraction of what should have been available at launch, both minis and rules in the BrB. And it has so many balance issues. It's just not as good a game by far. unfortunately, with the datasheets locked into the books and cards, that is going to be awful to fix.

Slaughter and the next few books aren't really going to be expansions per se,  but actually core books for building armies.

I'm not going to buy any of them moving forward; unlike the AT ones these seem like an unnecessary cash grab.

The FOMO and stock issues with this release makes me mad; so I will wait, buy none of the new books, and use Battlescribe until compendiums come out in a few years. If they don't... well, meh.

On top of that, the mini release schedule is awful; to keep this rant on topic, they keep releasing SM transports... as cool as they are, just wow. Many locations can't even buy core units, we don't need transportation for no troops. :facepalm:

14 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

I agree with the Apologist. These are totally different beasts. One was handled excellently, and the other is an embarrassment to GW.

In the beginning,  AT18 got an entire, playable, and fairly balanced game, and access to all the minis needed. Then it got expansions with new minis to make it even better.

Now, it looks like it's mostly concluded with the awesome compendiums.

I seem to remember the AT launch generally being regarded as a disaster. The Grand Master set was panned as being overpriced and not giving you nearly enough bang for your buck. People were talking about it being a flop for still sitting on a lot of shelves without moving a box. There were the same complaints about "Where are the Ork and Eldar Titans? Heresy means it's DOA" as Legions Imperialis received.

People were just as mad about the Titandeath book being announced a month after launch as they were The Great Slaughter. 

The release of the far more competitively priced starter set we have now is when I remember the tone surrounding AT turned a lot more positive. I can recall this mainly because I stayed away from AT for a while due to the prevailing mood being "none asked for this, it's dead on arrival" around the internet.

Edited by Lord Marshal

55 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

I seem to remember the AT launch generally being regarded as a disaster. The Grand Master set was panned as being overpriced and not giving you nearly enough bang for your buck. People were talking about it being a flop for still sitting on a lot of shelves without moving a box. There were the same complaints about "Where are the Ork and Eldar Titans? Heresy means it's DOA" as Legions Imperialis received.

People were just as mad about the Titandeath book being announced a month after launch as they were The Great Slaughter. 

The release of the far more competitively priced starter set we have now is when I remember the tone surrounding AT turned a lot more positive. I can recall this mainly because I stayed away from AT for a while due to the prevailing mood being "none asked for this, it's dead on arrival" around the internet.

You know what’s funny about that Grand Master box though? I see them going for a ridiculous amount of money now. 

I do wish GW would release more content for AT. Imperialis is fun, but it still feels like it’s missing something… I really enjoy the granularity of Titanicus and it scratches an itch that LI just can’t seem to reach, IMO

Yeah Titanicus really came into its own once you had the three core titans available, (and the weapon sprues, remember that :cuss:show?) which was actually a few months along from launch. The Grandmaster edition was i think the worst starter box GW has ever released, just over expensive and with a godawful selection of units in the box to actually demonstrate the games strengths, two fire support warlords just sat across the table from each other and whoever rolled dice better won... Not good! (The Knights got swatted if they made a fuss) 

Our group had a few bad games and kinda wrote it off until it caught a second wind with some of us later. By then of course you could actually see it was the best game GW sells :D 

2 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

And this is why I loathe the wave of negativity that usually accompanies game releases by GW. They often enough become self-fulfilling prophecies and keep new blood away from (potentially) good games. It also drowns out actually valid criticisms. 

10 hours ago, Lord Marshal said:

It wasn't here, tbf everything is overpriced in NZ, so I didn't really notice. Also, I got the GM box from WHW on a holiday, free postage made it cheap as chips in comparison. And for its contents is actually a good deal, just a big entry fee.

It's HH, not sure why anyone expected xenos. So in comparison with LI that's the same metric and moot.

Yeah, they didn't get the Supplimental books perfect, but at least we had a fully functional game out the door, and they were available, even on this side of the world.

Hell, it's been what, about six months (?) since the game dropped, and literally the only SM things available are Rhinos, Spartans and Landraiders, even the starter box has been unavailable for months now.

Infantry and Support were available for about 20 minutes a few weeks after launch and haven't come back.

Drop pods still aren't available here at all.

We don't need any more transportation units, we need access to all the things that go in them first.

It that's not a valid criticism I'm not sure what is.

The funny part about the Grandmaster Box is that its value and utility actually became more important when it was no longer available. From what I remember, it was $300 USD when it launched and included two Warlords, which would cost almost $250 separately. That’s not including the two boxes worth of Knights and all of the other stuff needed to play the game itself. 

Yep, I can't remember all the exact details but once I got it at WHW and sent home for free it was about half the cost of the contents.

I remember everyone being concerned about the huge price tag for one box; but for those of us fortunate enough to have hobby funds on hand it was a bargain... and being on holiday it was easier to convince the woman-thing :biggrin::wink:

Its quite funny that the box has shot up in value now, shops were trying to get rid of them at half retail and failing at one trade event i was at, everything else AT flew off the shelves as fast as punters could reach em but not the GM edition, it was taunting me all weekend when i wanted to buy some knights :D