Index: Emperor's Children (now availiable)

Can anyone spot if Lucias or the Noise Marines have had any rules changes during the move to their own index?

If there are, that could hint at how they'll look in a proper EC army eventually.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, Brother Marshal, for sharing this and changing the topic title, I might've missed it otherwise.

I will now beat Goonhammer to the punch with my own review.  N1SBhammer review of EC Index: It's short.

HEY I just realised, people have been talking forever about Chaos Primaris, and how Fabius Bile is reverse engineering Belisarius Cawl's work.  We've been looking at the wrong EC Legionnaire.  Whoever kills Lucius the Eternal becomes him like Jason the 13th...some Primaris Lieutenant killed him and became him, ergo, Chaos Primaris.

I'm going to check if the 40k Lucius the Eternal is [CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE ONLINE] and if so, Imma convert my own using an Assault Primaris.

UPDATE - oh man...I don't think he's even in the webstore anymore AHAHAHAHA, to use the index, you MUST have him, yet he's not even available from GW anymore.  New official rules require an out-of-print model.  This is such an allegory for GW's emblematic production problems right now.

Edited by N1SB

12 minutes ago, N1SB said:

Thanks, Brother Marshal, for sharing this and changing the topic title, I might've missed it otherwise.

I will now beat Goonhammer to the punch with my own review.  N1SBhammer review of EC Index: It's short.

HEY I just realised, people have been talking forever about Chaos Primaris, and how Fabius Bile is reverse engineering Belisarius Cawl's work.  We've been looking at the wrong EC Legionnaire.  Whoever kills Lucius the Eternal becomes him like Jason the 13th...some Primaris Lieutenant killed him and became him, ergo, Chaos Primaris.

I'm going to check if the 40k Lucius the Eternal is [CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE ONLINE] and if so, Imma convert my own using an Assault Primaris.

UPDATE - oh man...I don't think he's even in the webstore anymore AHAHAHAHA, to use the index, you MUST have him, yet he's not even available from GW anymore.  New official rules require an out-of-print model.  This is such an allegory for GW's emblematic production problems right now.

Reminds me of the time he was introduced (in 3.5 irc) and there was no official model for him in sight. Proxy/Conversions all the way!

This is very, very low effort. I at least thought there might be a detachment & associated stratagems, and just make most them only work on SLAANESH or NOISE MARINES units to keep with the theme.

Also, the fact that you can't buy Lucius and Noise Marines are functionally OOP makes this particularly funny. Ah well, hopefully a new range cometh shortly.

45 minutes ago, N1SB said:

And they use the limited release Noise Marine Rocker for the other data slate. Very clear they're place holders for a range refresh when they get a full Codex release.

19 minutes ago, Lexington said:

The PDF is nice and functional and etc., but why on Earth does it require you to take Lucius?

I'd bet whoever made it screwed up and forgot to either add a line about how EC can be added to The Lost And The Damned CSM rule (the one letting them take a limited amount of Cult units), or it will be added in the next CSM FAQ/update.

1 hour ago, Casual Heresy said:

Yeah this is very much designed to tide over the people who already owned Lucius and Noise Marines. I do wonder how close the Noise Marine rules are to the new codex versions.

On the plus side the EC are at least a separate "book" and not an italicized option buried in a text box.

Hopefully there will be some additional benefit/synergy in the new dex

Remind me of an autocatalytic process: the community receive the announcement some weeks ago, autoconvince itself that it will be great,... and we get this.

High hopes (too high...)...

...And high deception (we never learn...)

Q: Shall  Karn be fielded as a mandatory choice in WE too? And Typhus in DG?

A: Of course not, but as there is no other kind of material ready to be shared for EC anyway, take it as it is...

Q: Shouldn´t this Index be Legends directly?

A: Well, nope. Not at all.

Q: Will it be inc. as official tournament ready material en subject to dataslate?

A: Make an educated guess...

So many energy wasted.

Ooof, i set the bar low and GW still rolled under it :D 

Id have at least expected the special edition noise marine as a generic HQ choice, Lead Guitarist/Rock star pun or something? 

Id say a super limited set of rules implies they are coming sooner rather than later but we still dont have the reissued titan battleforces they announced a year ago so their intentions may not be worth much, 

1 hour ago, Noserenda said:

Ooof, i set the bar low and GW still rolled under it :D 

Id have at least expected the special edition noise marine as a generic HQ choice, Lead Guitarist/Rock star pun or something? 

Id say a super limited set of rules implies they are coming sooner rather than later but we still dont have the reissued titan battleforces they announced a year ago so their intentions may not be worth much, 

If they were going to do more, then they'd make us pay for it. I'd expect some White Dwarf in the future to have what you described.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

Yeah this is very much designed to tide over the people who already owned Lucius and Noise Marines. I do wonder how close the Noise Marine rules are to the new codex versions.

Just compared them to the Chaos Marines Index, and both Lucius and the Noise Marines are exactly the same in both, so neither have changed at all.

While acknowledging that the index is an extremely low effort holdover until the Emperor's Children codex comes out, in many ways that's a good thing.  Given that GW essentially didn't change anything, this means that functionally its as if Lucius and Noise Marines are still part of the codex - so much better than them half-assing it in a way that changed things for the worse.

Now, there are 2 ways of fielding noise marines in a chaos marine army:

1)  Using the codex's Lost and the Damned rule, which limits you point wise but to a number that you were unlikely to exceed anyway.  Given that they inherently have the Dark Pacts rule, this mitigates one of the major disadvantages of other cult allies.

2)  Using the Emperor's Children index, which requires you to take Lucius.  Other than that, if you aren't playing Pactbound Zealots, there really are no disadvantages - you are basically just normal heretic marines with a predilection for pink and loud music.  That said, Lucius is a bit crap compared to other chaos characters (though, point values will be telling, but IMHO he has been overpriced so far in 10th and I don't expect that change) so having to take him is a disadvantage.

So, outside of Pactbound Zealots, where one really doesn't want to be limited to just the mark of slannesh, the index does kind of work to make noise marines both chaos cult forces just like those of other cults such as berserkers, rubrics and plague marines while also making them playable as if they were still part of the codex.  Sure, its inelegant and very kludgy, but in terms of overall effect to my own Emperor's Children it lets me use my models with almost no drawback on the battlefield. 

Oh, and @N1SB, I would highly recommend you convert your own Lucius, as not only is the official model out of print but also very ugly.  That's what I did - maybe it will give you some inspiration.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

11 hours ago, N1SB said:

With the possible exception of the first line, this post is pure genius. A genuine spit-take, another good belly laugh, and a cool modelling idea in one post. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.