Ork made to order

01RTB01

Ah, this is pleasantly nostalgic. The sad thing is that I like the current Deff Dread kit so much that I'm not even tempted by this retro number, and I like the sculpt! The Kommandos are cute and I remember my friend owning those. I think I inherited them when he left the hobby but I have no idea where I kept them. I actually think these these Nob sculpts have better heads than the plastic kit. For some reason a few of the plastic Nobs have weirdly inorganic faces, I suppose it might have been around the time they started digitally sculpting and they were yet to perfect their methods, leaving odd straight lines in the faces?

Ork Nobz

I'd almost be tempted to track down the old heads and graft them onto the plastic bodies.

1 hour ago, Magos Takatus said:

Ah, this is pleasantly nostalgic. The sad thing is that I like the current Deff Dread kit so much that I'm not even tempted by this retro number, and I like the sculpt! The Kommandos are cute and I remember my friend owning those. I think I inherited them when he left the hobby but I have no idea where I kept them. I actually think these these Nob sculpts have better heads than the plastic kit. For some reason a few of the plastic Nobs have weirdly inorganic faces, I suppose it might have been around the time they started digitally sculpting and they were yet to perfect their methods, leaving odd straight lines in the faces?

Ork Nobz

I'd almost be tempted to track down the old heads and graft them onto the plastic bodies.

Aye the metals were in the Brian Nelson era. 

Modern orks for me have weird faces. I like the modern kommandos but they don't hit the same metal spot the classics do 

7 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

6 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

Aye the metals were in the Brian Nelson era. 

Modern orks for me have weird faces. I like the modern kommandos but they don't hit the same metal spot the classics do 

Yeah it was around that time. iirc the Black Orcs for WHFB (7th Ed) were the, or some of the first digitally "scuulpted" models. These were released not too long after..?

But yeah, Brian Nelson´s hand-sculpted Orks and Orcs still rule. I don´t like the current Ork faces either. Glad the slightly re-rooled 1999 or so, Orks are still around in plastic, the Boyz.

And those you can make good Kommandos of too! I just give them huge backpacks (I have some FW ones from the upgrade kit but then also use Imperial Guard back-packs, radios etc). Apart from backpacks, I use the WHFB dagger arms and berets, maroon berets of course! :biggrin:

One of my alternative Kommando bosses below..

Pretty good idea with the heads..

Never played around with the current Dread - but it looks cool? And there are clear pros of it being plastic....

52924528866_3ffa1f2704_k.jpg

14 hours ago, brother_b said:

Anybody know how long it takes to do these “made to order deals”? How long to have the models actually in hand?  I ordered my Bretonnians back in January, it’s the first time I’ve done a made to order.

If they ever do Praetorians lol I’d be hard pressed not to buy some.

They have ready-made stock available, and this goes out to early orderers, however most will be MTO. If you order immediately, it'll likely be a few weeks, if you wait a few days, it'll be 6 months, as it says. 

Edited by Xenith

I think the Shokk Attack Gun guy is in a similar camp.

Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun

I love the model apart from the face. The lower jaw just looks a bit wrong to me. Still I'm going off on a tangent. I think most of the modern Ork models are fantastic and I'd struggle to find room for the older models in my army, but as a separate painting project I could possibly be persuaded. I love that they do these made-to-order releases and I hope they continue this trend.

6 hours ago, Xenith said:

They have ready-made stock available, and this goes out to early orderers, however most will be MTO. If you order immediately, it'll likely be a few weeks, if you wait a few days, it'll be 6 months, as it says. 

I ordered right away but I’m in the States. I’ve seen clamshells of the MTO figures already available on eBay.

Location may then also have something to do with the wait.

Edited by brother_b

15 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

I actually think these these Nob sculpts have better heads than the plastic kit. For some reason a few of the plastic Nobs have weirdly inorganic faces, I suppose it might have been around the time they started digitally sculpting and they were yet to perfect their methods, leaving odd straight lines in the faces?

Yep, the plastics from the Ork wave of 2008-ish (Nobz, Battlewagon, Stormboyz) were some of GW's first forays into CAD sculpting, and it showed. They were mostly fine, but the Nobz' faces are flat and full of odd lines, especially around the gob, and mostly just look kind of...fake to me? Like someone wearing a bad Ork mask. Stormboyz came out of it better, I think, but still have a lot of weird, smushed-up side detailing.

There's ways to fix the plastic Nobz, tho. The addition of an Iron Gob hides a multitude of sins. It takes a bit of knife and green stuff work, but the heads from the older Nobz or the plastic Flash Gitz will do wonders for them. Am I thinking of ordering a box of these MTO guys partially to have more heads to swap in? Readers, I'll leave it up to you.

Edited by Lexington

18 hours ago, phandaal said:

Isn't the joke that you never actually see a purple Ork? :laugh:

Someone in the past built kommandos from the normal boy sprue. One of them walked around in a trash can, another hid under a pile of scraps and a third wore a poster of an ultramarine before him to "properly infiltrate da beakies" in an Alpha Legion style.

1 hour ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

Someone in the past built kommandos from the normal boy sprue. One of them walked around in a trash can, another hid under a pile of scraps and a third wore a poster of an ultramarine before him to "properly infiltrate da beakies" in an Alpha Legion style.

Well, you have to do something with all those spare arms and heads....

1 hour ago, Deus_Ex_Machina said:

Absolute classics..! :biggrin: I thought about lootin´ dat idea.. But needed my ded ´ard an´ propa´ Kommandos.. Absolute brilliant though. What the hobby should be - dead fun.

3549_sm-Humor, Orks, Poster.jpg

6 minutes ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

@01RTB01 Actually I've been in the hobby for 20 years. I just find these models look horrible personally. Nothing wrong with other people liking them at all though. We all like different things.

That´s alright. :thumbsup: We all have different preferences..

They are for sure 2nd Ed style and can trace its style to the RT era more than 3rd Ed - which kinda stil is the style?

More goofy. but the nostalgia value in addition to the backpacks, Commando hats etc. Pute gold.. Orks were fun, should still be fun, atleast a bit, eh?

Bet they are all vets of da Operation Chariot where dey blew up dat Chaos shipyard for dat big, spikey beakie an´ ´is Planetkilla...

:ph34r::cool:

Edited by Wolf Lord Duregar

9 hours ago, The Praetorian of Inwit said:

@01RTB01 Actually I've been in the hobby for 20 years. I just find these models look horrible personally. Nothing wrong with other people liking them at all though. We all like different things.

Fair and can agree there. 

I also agree with comments on here that the old metal nobs heads look better in some cases than the plastics.

I really wish Ghazghkul had been given a larger head too as it's so tiny compared to so many others. 

Ah well, the largest positive and hope is that we see more waves like this in the future with hopefully super old stuff.  Certainly gives hope for filling in collection gaps.

Now I really have to analyze these plastic Nob heads.:biggrin: I´ve built quite a few of them but I have not used tose plain, grinning ones too much (many of my Nobz have become bigbosses or bosses in WHFB so i used other heads), I find those a little boring, especially when you have already used it..

That screaming one as well as the one with a horned helmet are not too bad though. Same for "Maximus" (below)?

I had more problem with the Orc Warboss kit (mounted and on foot in a box) of the same era-ish. Same size as Orc and Ork boyz..

Curious about these lines you mention?

That said, the metal ones feel nice, so heavy - and the ones with ´eavy armour, thick, rectangular plates with battle damage hung on them is just cool..A slab of thick steel to stop da weedy gitz, unlike weedy Panzees or sumfink, with thin, curved, elegant lines.. :wink:

436612809_741520324800864_622741822258513108_n.jpg

While a big fan of 'Goblin master' Kev Adams Rogue Trader sculpts (nothing before or since matched the sheer character he squeezed into those models) I confess that my heart lies with Brian Nelson's masterful reimagining of orks, which gave me the brutal space barbarians of the lore. These Nobz, which were amongst the first space orks of the redesign, took just the right balance of Paul Bonner's beautiful winsome artworks and married it to some murderous malevolence.

k.jpg

The Kommandos, like a lot of the Perry's orks, didn't quite hit the same mark for me. I love a lot of the details like the dustmen hats, and the posing and movement is unsurprisingly brilliant (especially given the limitations of metal), but they feel a bit po-faced to me. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see these classics available, because while I don't dig their aesthetic, they're a great example of the style.

Coming back to Brian Nelson's nobz, I think they're absolutely fantastic, and I think the heads in particular stand out as amongst the best orks of all time. I've used them extensively in my own army, and the parts continues to marry up well in combination with newer sculpts. 

f.jpg

4B1B8D3C-AF0C-452D-A40B-1DD302D98CF0.jpeg 

B5D210A7-EE46-4DB5-9ABA-4303FCC00760.jpeg

Best of all, however, is that ork dreadnought. Made in god's own casting medium, too! I'm sorely tempted... 

2 hours ago, apologist said:

While a big fan of 'Goblin master' Kev Adams Rogue Trader sculpts (nothing before or since matched the sheer character he squeezed into those models) I confess that my heart lies with Brian Nelson's masterful reimagining of orks, which gave me the brutal space barbarians of the lore. These Nobz, which were amongst the first space orks of the redesign, took just the right balance of Paul Bonner's beautiful winsome artworks and married it to some murderous malevolence.

k.jpg

The Kommandos, like a lot of the Perry's orks, didn't quite hit the same mark for me. I love a lot of the details like the dustmen hats, and the posing and movement is unsurprisingly brilliant (especially given the limitations of metal), but they feel a bit po-faced to me. Nevertheless, I'm glad to see these classics available, because while I don't dig their aesthetic, they're a great example of the style.

Coming back to Brian Nelson's nobz, I think they're absolutely fantastic, and I think the heads in particular stand out as amongst the best orks of all time. I've used them extensively in my own army, and the parts continues to marry up well in combination with newer sculpts. 

f.jpg

4B1B8D3C-AF0C-452D-A40B-1DD302D98CF0.jpeg 

B5D210A7-EE46-4DB5-9ABA-4303FCC00760.jpeg

Best of all, however, is that ork dreadnought. Made in god's own casting medium, too! I'm sorely tempted... 

love those guys the one with the open hand is ace. 

2 hours ago, apologist said:

k.jpg

Ah is that his name? "Paul Bonner" - I remember some pictures from Epic, Space marine I think? Love those jaws.

Agreed, I am 100% a Brian Nelson Orc/Ork fan boi. Well his (Night) Gobbos too (less so the 7th Ed however).

Kev Adams look great, but are justa  tad bit too gooft for me. But they fit the feel of 4th Ed and especially 5th Ed WHFB I guess? With those Dave Gallagher arts, humour etc. I just like 6th Ed, grim-dark, low fantasty-ish more.. Still a bit of humour but not too goofy.

Absolute brilliant models, konvershuns and paintin´. :biggrin:

The plastic Nobz  ´uge/Big choppas is a real nice addition. I love how they look.

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Nobz and the dread but not enough I would buy either.

My Ork journey started with Gorkamorka, stalled there for a good while then I went big on green tide after assault on black reach. I still have a sizable amount of this in my pile of shame.

The only thinks I should really buy for my orks is base adapters to convert them from 25mm. What I would like to buy would be some plastic deff dreads and a stompa....not going to happen any time soon though

Edit - Actually, by contrast, I would seriously consider buying the AoBR Orks if they went on made to order as long as they were not ridiculously priced (I think that would be the real issue on them)

Edited by lhg033

Yeah that lot from AoBR seems like nice models to mix in with the "normal" lot. never had the pleasure of dealing with them. Even the mono-pose-ish Nobz looks sweet.

GorkaMorka is absolute ACE. :biggrin: Da Chase or whatever that scenario is called, pure joy..

As for your pile of shame Orks.. I´ve heard you can "dispose" of such stuff - send it to me and I´ll make sure it is dealt with!

:laugh:

You can also make WHFB Orcs, Bosses, Big ´uns, Bigbosses etc with the plastic Nobz. Just re-model those ´uge choppaz a bit so you can go Medieval on da skumgrods´ asses.. ;)

IMG_2138.JPG

Edited by Wolf Lord Duregar