2024 Pricing Update

Surprised? No.

Disappointed? Yes.

It is what it is. I'm probably GWs ideal customer in that I have multiple armies across multiple systems and I'm a sucker for FOMO. But even I'm wondering if my next new project should be Shatterpoint, MCP, or if I'm sticking with GW, a Necromunda gang rather than a 40k army.

Not the worst theme They've done...

Might grab a few things before the increase.

Oh, times unwell with warehouse shutdown

16 minutes ago, Joe said:

the debacle that is amazon

There's been no debacles with Amazon recently. 

I suspect they're referring to what was written on one of those horribly fake 4chan leaks.

I thought we might have escaped one this year since we didn't get one pre-new tax year. I never buy too much outright from them so it doesn't affect me that much as others. 

While it would be nice if the CEO absorbed the latest rises in their outgoings, I could also understand why he wouldn't want to tell that to his bosses, especially when history has shown that people do stick around after price increases.

Just in time for the AoS launch box eh?

I dunno, for me, $2-3USD isnt the end of the world but every time they raise prices (both announced and unannounced), or lock things behind giant boxes I end up buying less

So maybe that just keeps going.

Not that any of us can buy anything anyway with the inventory issues

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

LOL yeah GW thanks for showing me buying printers was the best idea...

Main negative for printing is the widespread belief that printing is prohibitively expensive and difficult to get into.

Printing is actually getting cheaper and easier, while more and more high quality miniature files hit the market. Slicing software is improving as well.

On the plastic side, other companies already sell boxes of high quality miniatures for a fraction of the GW price. What GW makes is usually at the upper end in terms of detail, but they certainly are not the only company producing quality models nowadays.

Edit: @Arbedark nothing I said here is opinion, but you do you with that downvote button as always.

Edited by phandaal

7 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Main negative for printing is the widespread belief that printing is prohibitively expensive and difficult to get into.

Printing is actually getting cheaper and easier, while more and more high quality miniature files hit the market. Slicing software is improving as well.

Regular reminder that 3d printing is not for everyone regardless of how affordable it becomes. Even if I wanted to get into it, I'm simply not prepared to run one in a house with two young kids (one of whom already has asthma type issues) without a dedicated lockable space to run and ventilate it, which I don't have. 

13 minutes ago, phandaal said:

On the plastic side, other companies already sell boxes of high quality miniatures for a fraction of the GW price. What GW makes is usually at the upper end in terms of detail, but they certainly are not the only company producing quality models nowadays.

Edit: @Arbedark

I think too that although the details in GW's kits has increased, the building fun has diminished. The newer kits are generally monobuild with possible arm/ head swaps being the only things that really change.

The level of "kitbashability" has reduced hugely. Point in case, the stompa battleforce that just dropped. The amount of people questioning where one of the mek arms are, well, you need the old boyz box for that. They actively encouraged kit bashing.

Now it feels that boxes are designed to be standalone with limited variety. The minis may be "nicer" but the cut and paste effect across armies is noticeable bar few exceptions.

1 minute ago, sitnam said:

If a $2-3 price rise is enough to get you to start printing, I don’t think you had any qualms printing in the first place. 

Sometimes people just need a small reason to do the thing they already wanted to do.

On the other hand, Games Workshop is a miniatures company, not a government or a religion. If people want to buy from other companies or print their own stuff, they don't need to be morally opposed to GW to do so. They just kinda have to feel like doing it. Hell, used to be that we thought it was cool to make your own models out of old sticks of deodorant. :laugh:

Posted (edited)

I am coming more and more to the conclusion that publicly floating certain companies in the entertainment sector is a bad idea for the user base.

I see this all the time with video game companies where they make perplexing decisions based purely on increasing the bottom line. I think being beholden to shareholders makes a lot of entertainment companies forget about the fans actually playing the game.

Larion's CEO I think had the nub of it when he said "Creating the games that we wanted to make, going public might give us more money, but it would be antithetical to the quality part of what we're trying to do. So it wouldn't make our games better. It would just make us rushed."

I think part of the problem is a lot of companies have forgotten about corporate stewardship. Where business leaders were demonstrating a  willingness, to shoulder a host of new responsibilities and judge their actions, not only from the standpoint of profit and loss in their financial results but of profit and loss to the community.

GW aren't doing this and are failing their community imo which is a sad thing.

Edited by Subtleknife

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Regular reminder that 3d printing is not for everyone regardless of how affordable it becomes. Even if I wanted to get into it, I'm simply not prepared to run one in a house with two young kids (one of whom already has asthma type issues) without a dedicated lockable space to run and ventilate it, which I don't have. 

Whats really interesting is that some game shops have started printing services for pick-up.

Edited by TrawlingCleaner
Removed quoted

1 hour ago, Doghouse said:

It is an excellent addition to your hobby tools, I will say one thing though be careful how much you print as your pile of shame will be huge! I have boxes of stuff I have printed or made myself that easily equals my existing pile of shame, the main advantage is I get to keep both my kidneys. :laugh:

I feel called out :P

Yes Doghouse I did need 100 MK6 marines :P

Lol, my son was eyeing up 40k starter sets while we were in the WH Oxford store yesterday. His birthday is over the summer...

... fortunately, I still have Leviathan waiting in the loft for him :biggrin:

As for me, I'm expecting two more Kill Team boxes for this season and I'm hearing noises that then there will be a new version due. At which point, I'll stop.

I've more stuff than I can paint already - two 2K 40k armies worth on top of Kill Team - so will just dip in for cool models from time to time. 

Unless I get suckered (by myself) into HH.

To be honest I wouldn't mind the price rise as much if:

Codices from a lore and art perspective weren't essentially a reprint (I get that there is some new art/a few paragraphs, but a decent amount including the covers are reused)

The website wasn't a joke

They would let me buy what I want, when I want (i.e. locking all new units behind $200+, now probably $220+ boxes for an uncertain amount of time)

I could actually buy things from them when I wanted with the inventory issues they're having

Models were a bit more open as they used to be, going along with what some Fraters said above where, while you can kitbash, it's becoming more locked into what you get in the box, with the poses they give you in the box

Etc. I dunno. Just needed to vent I guess, I'm not going to quit Warhammer over this, it's just frustrating when the company has gone backwards in many aspects over the last few years but still charging more. All while acting like they're one of the common folk with their wording in the article

Posted (edited)
I used to get the start collecting boxes from Darksphere (25% off) for £37.50, now the similar entry Combat Patrol after this is going to be close to (Now 20% off due to GW changes.) £80. That is the real world change, especially for new players.

I've moved away from getting my entertainment from these big public companies, fiduciary responsibility is all they care about. 

Edited by Bradeh

30 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Let's try this again, since apparently light jokes about getting kids to work are verboten.

This is true, although your situation is also not everyone else's situation. So it is not a blanket refutation of the fact that printing really is becoming easier and cheaper.

And as @caladancid says, the ability to have shops and individuals print for you on demand is becoming more and more widespread.

16 minutes ago, Subtleknife said:

I think part of the problem is a lot of companies have forgotten about corporate stewardship. Where business leaders were demonstrating a  willingness, to shoulder a host of new responsibilities and judge their actions, not only from the standpoint of profit and loss in their financial results but of profit and loss to the community.

GW aren't doing this and are failing their community imo which is a sad thing imo.

As interesting and valid as that is, when you have such a diverse spectrum of opinion on almost every topic within that community, there are few decisions about anything that would be universally popular (granted, freezing or reducing prices would be one of them). There's no objective way to measure "profit and loss to the community" except how much that community is willing to spend on the product.

GW doctrine is accessibility = sales

Eg no wargear costs, defined product ranges, physical rulebooks etc

But high costs are a barrier to entry/engagement

Make a cheap book with combat patrol factions/rules for newbies as not every 7 year old has a  smartphone, sub based app for full faction rules, physical copies of special edition codexes, less shipping and handling, regular flow of income, more adaptable rules, collect underpants, profit

2 minutes ago, phandaal said:

This is true, although your situation is also not everyone else's situation. So it is not a blanket refutation of the fact that printing really is becoming easier and cheaper.

I didn't make any claim that my situation was universal, nor even frame it as a general refutation. It's a statement of fact; 3d printing is a solution for some people, not all people.

4 minutes ago, phandaal said:

And as @caladancid says, the ability to have shops and individuals print for you on demand is becoming more and more widespread.

While true, my experience here is that, quite often, the cost of having things printed as a service is not actually all that different from buying models in the first place. Like anything, getting the equipment and materials and doing it yourself is how you make the biggest savings. As soon as other people are involved the price starts going up.

3 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

I didn't make any claim that my situation was universal, nor even frame it as a general refutation. It's a statement of fact; 3d printing is a solution for some people, not all people.

While true, my experience here is that, quite often, the cost of having things printed as a service is not actually all that different from buying models in the first place. Like anything, getting the equipment and materials and doing it yourself is how you make the biggest savings. As soon as other people are involved the price starts going up.

Agreed with everything here. My main thing is the trend is in fact moving towards ease and lower cost. It is an interesting juxtaposition with the frequent complaints about price increases in this corner of the hobby world.

Anyway, we can only talk specifically about Games Workshop prices here and not anything related to that topic. So I, as a true and honest law abiding citizen of this forum, will leave it there. :laugh: