2024 Pricing Update

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Robbienw said:

Is this for pre-assembled and/or painted items?  I can see it with books as they seem to lose value fast, but £14 for something like a new condition Land Raider Proteus on ebay seems implausible!

The guard stuff is mostly unbuilt. The HH stuff is a mixture of built and unbuilt, mostly unpainted. They were mainly big “job lots” of stuff on eBay, which people tend to discount a lot more than they would if selling items individually. In fact, with the Spartan and proteus I was grateful someone built them for me…

It was four individual purchases:

2 x 3D printed Leman Russ tanks: £20

An almost-complete and totally unbuilt Cadian defence force: £40

A big Age of Darkness bundle: £110

A second big Heresy bundle with all sorts of FW gubbins (arriving later this week): £60

I don’t mind at all buying partially built stuff if it’s still in good condition, when it saves that kind of money.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

The increased resin costs are marginal in comparison to GW costs and running the printer alongside it.

My friend printed me off 8 Sicarans for Legions Imperialis whilst we ate dinner and had a drink.

It cost him about £1.30, power and resin all in.

He confirmed the resin costs going up will boost that to about £1.50.

It's definitely a viable alternative to use a 3D printer.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

The increased resin costs are marginal in comparison to GW costs and running the printer alongside it.

My friend printed me off 8 Sicarans for Legions Imperialis whilst we ate dinner and had a drink.

image.thumb.png.f42a70f00c9e6c97eca776c104e907e5.png

Just did this yesterday. Bear in mind I use more expensive resin £12  all the trimmings - LR, Crusader and Redeemer.  I know my mate can do it for about £8

Regarding price thou, GW have priced me out of the hobby, not because I can't afford it (Unfortunately I can)... Its the shear greed and avarice. 

But a lot of factors have made me turn my back on them as a whole. 

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

5 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

I started my dark eldar back in august. I bought 3 combat patrol from lfg.

I converted 10 Scorges with 3d printed wings and I modelled the guns.

I bought a 3d of the venom (I had 1 back in 5th edition) and printed 4 venom.

Cost of 4 printed venom? 10€...for 4. 

I made a 2k list for my Dark Eldar for around 300€ (with plastic drazhar too)

If I'll buy og venom I have to add 100 more €.

Obviously size of models varies costs, but even with increased resin costs by the bottle, it'll be fractional how expensive it is compared to GW products.

I suspect GW are deliberately moving to a temporarily available model so they can move on before 3D printing catches up.

58 minutes ago, Brother Captain Arkley said:

image.thumb.png.f42a70f00c9e6c97eca776c104e907e5.png

Just did this yesterday. Bear in mind I use more expensive resin £12  all the trimmings - LR, Crusader and Redeemer.  I know my mate can do it for about £8

Regarding price thou, GW have priced me out of the hobby, not because I can't afford it (Unfortunately I can)... Its the shear greed and avarice. 

But a lot of factors have made me turn my back on them as a whole. 

Conversely, you admit to being able to afford the hobby but set up a 2nd hobby to rip off their IP out of personal greed in essence.

I'm not supporting the price rises as "we've made record money" immediately followed by "times are hard prices much go ka-ching" is a poor combination at any time.

But not everyone wants to buy a 3d printer, not everyone wants to rip off their IP, the staff deserve to get paid, they deserve to get pay rises, the stores deserve to remain open and the staff employed.

If everyone just went out and printed their own armies the company and game you're doing it for go away - it's self defeating in the name of saving some money. Maybe just buy less, maybe spend the same amount which is now less stuff, maybe play other games.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Obviously size of models varies costs, but even with increased resin costs by the bottle, it'll be fractional how expensive it is compared to GW products.

I suspect GW are deliberately moving to a temporarily available model so they can move on before 3D printing catches up.

I mean as others have stated repeatedly, when you can copy someone else's design, IP, lore context, and potentially use the model in the game they designed, costs sure seem to drop. 

If I have a buddy that tinkers with my car for free based on youtube tutorials, it's hardly cause to run up to the nearest garage and call them out for price gouging because they just integrate silly costs like taxes, training, regulations, wages, licences, overhead etc. into their price.  

Edit: Or to dismiss people who'd rather just have a service provided to them by a garage instead of being told "just find someone willing to copy the work for free!" Though the metaphor is running away from me a bit here. 

Edited by Matcap86

20 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

Conversely, you admit to being able to afford the hobby but set up a 2nd hobby to rip off their IP out of personal greed in essence.

Speaking with my mod hat on, this is not what we're looking for and I'm using it as an example as it is happening far too much. We don't know the motivations of fellow Frater and assumptively calling their motives based on greed is not acceptable.

Good points were subsequently made but do not attack each other, Frater. 

24 minutes ago, Matcap86 said:

I mean as others have stated repeatedly, when you can copy someone else's design, IP, lore context, and potentially use the model in the game they designed, costs sure seem to drop. 

If I have a buddy that tinkers with my car for free based on youtube tutorials, it's hardly cause to run up to the nearest garage and call them out for price gouging because they just integrate silly costs like taxes, training, regulations, wages, overhead etc. into their price.  

Edit: Or to dismiss people who rather just have a service provided to them by a garage instead of being told "just find someone willing to copy the work for free!" Though the metaphor is running away from me a bit here. 

Certainly agree people shouldn't be dismissed. In fact, there's always folk who will rather just buy the official stuff for the collection and are going to pay for it. As an example I bought this guy especially for my home and the out of production 2nd hand cost was surreal!

20240501_124844.thumb.jpg.0f213ad7a149351ba924645f47688a01.jpg

I love it but man it cost...

Anyway yes that example is there's a place for GW to make money and for people to embrace their products. More power to such customers.

Personally - and it does seem to be a more widely common theme - I'm not happy with the increased costs and other factors GW have introduced into my hobby and as such I'm looking elsewhere.

(Your analogy of garages, whilst well illustrated,  made me smile consider my personal occupation being driving based and the issues I've had with garages! :laugh: )  

No one is 3D printing because it looks worse or costs more than GW plastic :biggrin:

Theres three things you can know for certain in this hobby:

-Why people 3d print

-why people pirate rules

-why people recast

Easiest motivation to understand in the hobby

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

It took me years to get to this point, GW don't want me as a consumer anymore. in the grand scheme of things for me price is the least of my issues.

Given how much I have spent on GW in the last 5 years, its not all about voting with my wallet its so much more nuanced than that.

Call me a thief all you like. 

The really odd situation I am in is a few years ago I would have said the exact same thing.

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

I was pondering the price hike again today, and I think I understand why my position has changed from one of acceptance to one of criticism.

I'm assuming we've all heard of the "boiling frog" scenario? A frog is put inside a saucepan filled with tepid water that gradually and steadily heats up, until the frog finally croaks and is boiled alive. I feel we have experienced the same steady and gradual increase in the prices of certain products, but they have gone beyond what we can casually dismiss as "inflation" or a justified increase.

McDonalds - one particularly egregious culprit I have noticed, is a "fast-food" chain that I no longer consider to be cheap OR fast.

Now I find myself looking at the Games Workshop hobby, where a squad of 10 infantry models used to cost around £25.00 until recently, but now 5 infantry models are setting me back £41.50.

The frog has croaked.

Posted (edited)

Actually I lied/forgot I have also bought some legion jetbikes off Wayland Games at 20% off RRP. For some reason these seem to be hard to get cheap on eBay. But if I want something new and boxed, there’s still no reason to buy from GW as there are so many third-party sites selling legitimately at substantial discount.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

2 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

I was pondering the price hike again today, and I think I understand why my position has changed from one of acceptance to one of criticism.

I'm assuming we've all heard of the "boiling frog" scenario? A frog is put inside a saucepan filled with tepid water that gradually and steadily heats up, until the frog finally croaks and is boiled alive. I feel we have experienced the same steady and gradual increase in the prices of certain products, but they have gone beyond what we can casually dismiss as "inflation" or a justified increase.

McDonalds - one particularly egregious culprit I have noticed, is a "fast-food" chain that I no longer consider to be cheap OR fast.

Now I find myself looking at the Games Workshop hobby, where a squad of 10 infantry models used to cost around £25.00 until recently, but now 5 infantry models are setting me back £41.50.

The frog has croaked.

The boiled frog is for when you don’t realize you’re being boiled until it’s too late. 

Instead, GW price rise is our boulder and we are Sisyphus. Every year we push our boulder to the mountain top and wail to the sky that the prices have risen only to return to the foot of the mountain and begin to push back up the mountain. On and on, forever and ever! 

Well the example I'm using it because there is a finality to the whole thing. The frog eventually dies.

In the case of GW pricing, eventually you reach a breaking point where hobbyists might no longer wish to engage with the product. The price hikes were gradual so we can excuse them, ignore them or accept them. Eventually, where you end up in terms of pricing can't be excused in the same way.

52 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

I'm not supporting the price rises as "we've made record money" immediately followed by "times are hard prices much go ka-ching" is a poor combination at any time.

But not everyone wants to buy a 3d printer, not everyone wants to rip off their IP, the staff deserve to get paid, they deserve to get pay rises, the stores deserve to remain open and the staff employed.

If everyone just went out and printed their own armies the company and game you're doing it for go away - it's self defeating in the name of saving some money. Maybe just buy less, maybe spend the same amount which is now less stuff, maybe play other games.

Spare me the ethics lecture and the cost of business BS.  As I stated earlier, GW has a net profit margin of 28.85% then gives us a poor mouth speech and raises prices.  If they lose they get what they deserve.

26 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Speaking with my mod hat on, this is not what we're looking for and I'm using it as an example as it is happening far too much. We don't know the motivations of fellow Frater and assumptively calling their motives based on greed is not acceptable.

Good points were subsequently made but do not attack each other, Frater. 

It wasn't intended as an attack so much as a different viewpoint and largely Brother Captain Arkley seems to be understanding of that. Everyone and every firm has a financial situation and that can be a driving factor, but in the event that someone is financially unable to keep up (which in this instance wasn't the case as noted), IP theft still isn't the correct course of action.

Likewise the motivations of the company are not written out and they are not communicating this is for greed any more than any frater is, but people can throw that about with abandon as it's reinforcing their narrative largely. Company puts up price to possess more money, is the same thing as person spends less to possess more money.

So whilst I respect the message on a mod level, I'm not sure promoting people printing GW IP is wise either.

But you don’t understand, there is no finality. No hobby death. You are here forever. 

You may quit buying stuff for a time but you will still check WarCom, you’ll still argue about the lore on Reddit, you’ll have lots of opinions on how Amazon does or does not ruin Warhammer, and eventually you’ll buy another kit. 

No one really leaves once you’ve bought in. Price hikes suck because they feel bad. They have never and will never actually make people quit the hobby. 

Just now, Mogger351 said:

It wasn't intended as an attack so much as a different viewpoint and largely Brother Captain Arkley seems to be understanding of that. Everyone and every firm has a financial situation and that can be a driving factor, but in the event that someone is financially unable to keep up (which in this instance wasn't the case as noted), IP theft still isn't the correct course of action.

I didn't take it as an attack... To be really fair your opinion on my "theft" is kind of moot...

I am not expecting you to be lockstep with me. Like I say a few years ago I would have agreed with you 100%. Now I don't.

I can't never not think of the Hobby Trumpet situation. I am no longer in the band.

1 minute ago, Marshal Rohr said:

But you don’t understand, there is no finality. No hobby death. You are here forever. 

You may quit buying stuff for a time but you will still check WarCom, you’ll still argue about the lore on Reddit, you’ll have lots of opinions on how Amazon does or does not ruin Warhammer, and eventually you’ll buy another kit. 

No one really leaves once you’ve bought in. Price hikes suck because they feel bad. They have never and will never actually make people quit the hobby. 

I'm not sure that applies to me, personally. I used to be a big fan of Star Wars, but I have now effectively turned away from something that I have loved for 20+ years of my life. I no longer buy games, read books or stay updated on shows/movies.

I have a few other hobbies that I can pivot to. For example I play and collect guitars (this is more expensive than GW in fairness). There is a potential outcome in which I simply sell my armies and depart the hobby. I would hate for that to happen, but it's not an impossibility.

1 minute ago, Orange Knight said:

I have a few other hobbies that I can pivot to. For example I play and collect guitars (this is more expensive than GW in fairness). There is a potential outcome in which I simply sell my armies and depart the hobby. I would hate for that to happen, but it's not an impossibility.

Yeah GW was my cheapest hobby....