The Life Semi-Aquatic - A T'au Project

Great to see you kicking into gear and getting it all built !! :thumbsup:

when I was building my devilfish the other week I noticed from the sprue marks that the kit is 23 years old :laugh:

I was blown away by that fact… I think I’m stuck in this rut of thinking that the year 2000 wasn’t that long ago  :tongue:

the plastic from my devilfish was that old style GW plastic (lots of mold lines too !with flashing as well )

It’s still a nice looking model though ! 
Look forward to seeing your breachers painted .

Cheers, M 

I'll grab a tube of that putty, looks really useful.

I finished putting together the drones and also the Fireblade.  I didn't like the head with the ponytail, so I used one of the heads from the pathfinder kill team sprue that comes in the combat patrol box.

I love that he encourages his dudes to shoot more by brandishing a knife...that's still sheathed...lol

20240523_152033.thumb.jpg.ad4ba8ea383a5d65050a00ae234031dd.jpg

Nice head swap :thumbsup: 

I seriously want to get the Killteam pathfinder box, it has so many cool extra's in it, I was planning on making a Darkstrider conversion from some of the parts of that box :cool:

I guess the raised knife says" hey! we're all bonded so get out there and shoot stuff for me, so I don't have to take this sweet blade out of its sheath :wink:".

Cheers, M 

The white feels more harmonious and the red feels more bold, which totally makes sense I guess.  I feel like the red would look better with the tan accents, but it definitely makes me more nervous to try at large lol

Not sure if i asked before but  -

Q : Are you going to enter any of this stuff into the Call to Arms event starting in 11 days !! :laugh:... 

Cheers, Mithril

8 hours ago, MithrilForge said:

Not sure if i asked before but  -

Q : Are you going to enter any of this stuff into the Call to Arms event starting in 11 days !! :laugh:... 

Cheers, Mithril

oh you know, i didn't pledge.  I wasn't sure what the rules were, like can i start painting the things before the start date?

Here are the Call to Arms rules.

You can't pledge models that you have already started (other than the basecoat) but you pledge models, not units, so if you have painted half a unit its fine to pledge the other half.

As well, things don't open until the 15th, so you can't vow anything until then.

Alright, I've decided on the red.  The red i used was mephiston red with a healthy dab of rhinox hide in it.  Does anyone know of a good, brownish red like that out there?  Getting consistency of the color mixing it army wide sounds difficult...

One thing I do when I need a mixed colour on a bunch of models is to mix up a bunch in spare paint pot that used to have some other paint in it.  That way I only need to mix it once and have a consistent colour over the life of the paint in the pot.

you could've just used Khorne red as the base maybe :tongue: although i like to mix doombull brown into my reds sometimes just to change it that wee bit to be different!! 

Honestly I'd just get an empty pot or a old Shade pot (bigger) and make a single colour mix for the whole army...  I did it for a shade of Blue colour That I use on some bases and Killteam terrain walls.

Cheers, M 

Posted (edited)

That's a good idea.  What do you guys use to get paint from one pot to another? I wouldn't think a brush, but then again...maybe?

On 6/4/2024 at 11:50 AM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Here are the Call to Arms rules.

You can't pledge models that you have already started (other than the basecoat) but you pledge models, not units, so if you have painted half a unit its fine to pledge the other half.

As well, things don't open until the 15th, so you can't vow anything until then.

So these models that I've already built and sprayed with the base coat, I could pledge them but I can't start painting them until the 15th, is that right?

Edited by Guiltysparc

4 hours ago, Guiltysparc said:

That's a good idea.  What do you guys use to get paint from one pot to another? I wouldn't think a brush, but then again...maybe?

So these models that I've already built and sprayed with the base coat, I could pledge them but I can't start painting them until the 15th, is that right?

That is correct - and you'll need to take and post a picture of them in their current state (so, base coated) with your vow.

As for getting the paint into the mixing pot, I just pour it from the original container.  Then I pour the appropriate amount of the other colour, mix them, then add and mix as necessary to get the final colour.  Fortunately, my final colour (the armour colour for my chaos marines) is pretty simple - roughly 50/50 of two colours - and forgiving - when I say roughly, I mean very roughly - so this "guesstimate" level of paint mixing accuracy works for me.