bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week series!

Following the release of the 10th edition Index, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will discuss the units from the units found within Index: Blood Angels, parts two to four will discuss Index: Space Marines, part five will be Imperial Armour, and part six will be Legends.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Captain

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Captain?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? 
  • Are you taking multiples?
  • Which Detachment are you using?
  • What unit is he leading, if any?
  • What Deployment options are you using?
  • What weapon options are you taking?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you.

Please note that Captain in Gravis Armour, Captain in Phobos Armour, Captain in Terminator Armour, Captain on Bike, and Captain with Jump Pack will be discussed elsewhere.

Should you want your model on display here (or on another thread), then submit a photo here please.

(Once I work out how best to float it!)

As an aside, the thread setup may change over the coming weeks until I'm happy with them. This includes the photos.

Posted (edited)

I like captains, I enjoy the regular on foot one in smaller games, with artisan of war and finest hour he can really lay down some damage on the turn you need it and the ability to hand out free strat usage is very nice.

Edited by Jolemai
See Disclaimer

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Father Mapple said:

Is this JUST the entry for power armor captain, or all types?

22 hours ago, Jolemai said:

Please note that Captain in Gravis Armour, Captain in Phobos Armour, Captain in Terminator Armour, Captain on Bike, and Captain with Jump Pack will be discussed elsewhere.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Jolemai

Posted (edited)

Has no one on here run one with foot Assault Intercessors as that's all the rage* atm? Or perhaps with Bladeguard?

*No pun intended, honest...

Edited by Jolemai

I have a couple of the cool Captain models from Indomitus that are all Bladeguard style, but the BG themselves benefit so heavily from the Judiciar in my opinion that I haven't run them with anyone but him all edition.

Captain w/ X is where I usually put my points for a Cap, so I don't have a bunch else to add, though I do agree there is definitely some play with keeping a cap w/ BG or AI.

11 hours ago, Jolemai said:

Has no one on here run one with foot Assault Intercessors as that's all the rage* atm? Or perhaps with Bladeguard?

I feel Bladeguard benefit more from a Judiciar because Fights First is really strong or from a Lt so that they can fall back and charge to keep the charge bonus active. 

I think that the best place for a Captain on foot is probably with a Company Heroes unit. It is a really tough little unit that actually hits a lot harder than Intercessors for just a few extra points. 

From reading around, it's the combo of the Captain's STR 10 power fist (on the charge) with that of the AIS' Sergeant, then there's the freebie Battle Stratagem which tends to go on Red Rampage (Lethal Hits & Lance for the Squad). This Squad is seen pouring out of a Land Raider and if it's targeting something on an objective, the re-roll of 1s to Wound is further playing into the combo.

There's often a second one of these squads too for redundancy. It seems t be making some waves lately anyway.

Posted (edited)

Think you can attach Mephiston to that as well. Has been something I am costing.

Definitely agree the regular captain is a great free strat buff as well as some awesome damage. Definitely red rampage too. 

Edited by Jolemai
See disclaimer

Bottom line is this: a foot captain is a murder machine one round per game, and a solid combat character the rest of the time. His free strategem is also nice, but plays second fiddle to his raw stats and killing power. Most characters exist to buff their squad, but a foot captai. Is normally put in a squad for them to protect him and his killing power.  

I don't have one of my own built, otherwise I'd be tempted to run one with AI, like many other's have. 

That said, I also wouldn't mind trying him with my BGV as an absolute murder unit when charging out of a land raider. Sure he can only have a Power Weapon, but 10 attacks at S7 with Lance and LH on tap is still pretty solid!

Edited by Paladin777

Yeah foot captain excels when attached to a cheap melee unit like AI, especially as that unit can currently punch up so well, the captains own prowess and free strat is enough to either make them more resilient or more Killy as required.

personally, I love the captain with the company heroes. 

the combination generates a pretty impressive amount of melee attacks, a lot of which are master crafted power weapon level or better, and it has acceptable shooting along with surprising resilience thanks to -1 to wound against them coupled with a decent amount of wounds. For this combo I like the master crafted bolter plus master crafted power sword captain option for the coherency with the unit itself.