Mechanicum Battle Group & Plastification

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Marshal Rohr said:

After seeing the pure rage from Heresy Haters about these units not getting 40K rules SGDS should drop a Legends of the Age of Darkness PDF that ports Ad Mech to Heresy like the militia list. Twist the knife. 

I'd rather not have the knife twisted, as you put it. I think the Heresy is a cool idea for a game but remember we (40k Adeptus Mechanicus collectors, as well as other collectors) were promised an Imperial Armour book that was almost finished and never released (admittedly due to tragic circumstances), then our 40k army appears to be effectively rudderless since the studio really don't seen to know what to do with them. You don't have to be a Heresy hater to feel that we've been done a disservice and would dearly hope for a change of course. Making the situation even worse seems openly spiteful to me. Then again I'm not angry about it, I'm just resigned to the fact that they are looking into improving how fun it is to play our army but they might even mess it up again. If it's not improved enough I'll still he having a fun time with my 40k Orks, including my Legends-rules Mega Dread.

Edited by Magos Takatus

I'm not sure if I'll start a Mechanicum force but as soon they put on sale the Castellax and other bots, I'm going to buy some. I always wanted some in my SoH army and now is more possible.

BTW and not directly rela6with this post but, where is the close combat weapon set for the legions?

7 minutes ago, Magos Takatus said:

I'd rather not have the knife twisted, as you put it. I think the Heresy is a cool idea for a game but remember we (40k Adeptus Mechanicus collectors, as well as other collectors) were promised an Imperial Armour book that was almost finished and never released (admittedly due to tragic circumstances), then our 40k army appears to be effectively rudderless since the studio really don't seen to know what to do with them. You don't have to be a Heresy hater to feel that we've been done a disservice and would dearly hope for a change of course. Making the situation even worse seems openly spiteful to me. Then again I'm not angry about it, I'm just resigned to the fact that they are looking into improving how fun it is to play our army but they might even mess it up again. If it's not improved enough I'll still he having a fun time with my 40k Orks, including my Legends-rules Mega Dread.

Take it up with GW Management that forcibly restructured, killed off forge world, released the trash that is 8th onward, fired people like Trish C, and canned Fires of Cyraxus. SGDS doesn’t owe anyone anything. They didn’t kill it and it’s GW main that refuses to cooperate with SGDS

I quite like the techpriest, even if he does look a lot like the 40k Dominus - I'm not a fan of the lumpy potato-sack look a few of the non-automata models have (looking at you, Myrmidon Destructors!) compared to Draykavac and Scoria.

8 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

I couldn't agree more.

The 40k Mechanicus have somehow become a completely disposable horde army.

The faction needs a complete re-write in terms of both profiles and special rules at this point.

I'm not disputing the fact that making them cheaper and cheaper would make the army stronger, but thematically it's going farther from what it should be. In some editions Marines have had the same issue - they became a cheap disposable horde.

40k has several armies where the units have gotten too cheap. I just don’t think the team has enough time to totally rework armies at this point. Skitari should be properly dangerous units, and costed there after 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

As an ork player I am strongly thinking about grabbing the box. I've been looting ad mech stuff for a while and this box looks a lot of fun. The only thing I wouldn't know what to do with, would be the thralls. Would 40k and mech have these stashed away somewhere as relics or totally moved on?

Very excited to see what else is coming for them.

I don’t think they’d be stashed away because they wouldn’t be seen as valuable. However they’re essentially just servitors and the 40k imperium makes billions of servitors so they’d have the technology to make these if needed. 

Who’s to say your orks didn’t conquer a forgeworld who had been forced to resort to making these as the green tide closed in and killed off their more elite forces? The Orks maybe even killed off the Magos who was controlling them and some enterprising Ork Mek figured out how to control them himself? That could be your lore, then just do some orkish modifications and run them as gretchin or something similar (I’m afraid I don’t know ork rules well so not sure what to suggest as the best unit).

In a more general response I’m so thrilled about this reveal! The units all look great and it finally puts one of the coolest HH armies into the realms of possibility for me. I’m not sure I’ll get the box as I don’t really see myself using the transport or the the thralls but I’ll definitely be going big on the robots!

Edited by MARK0SIAN

5 hours ago, 01RTB01 said:

As an ork player I am strongly thinking about grabbing the box. I've been looting ad mech stuff for a while and this box looks a lot of fun. The only thing I wouldn't know what to do with, would be the thralls. Would 40k and mech have these stashed away somewhere as relics or totally moved on?

Very excited to see what else is coming for them.

Some of these thralls covered in orkoid fungus and mushrooms would look amazing.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Redcomet said:

40k has several armies where the units have gotten too cheap. I just don’t think the team has enough time to totally rework armies at this point. Skitari should be properly dangerous units, and costed there after 

I think an issue is marines as a median have been too cheap in general since Third Edition (when tactical marines dropped to 15ppm) and never really gone up again (dropping to 14ppm in 7th, then 12ppm in 8th not including Wargear, etc) - it leaves generally little room below the basic tactical for nuance and variation for "lesser" models (although of course 8th and then 9th have moved 40k very far away from the more simple usr-based paradigm of past editions).

[Edit - I tell a lie, 9th did go back up initially to 18ppm, not including upgrades, but 10th is really hard to unpack at an initial 175 points for the squad, including all potential upgrades, so the "real" cost per model is much lower]

But I wish basic marines had always stayed a Second Edition-style 30 point median (for want of a better word), and everything else gone up or down in relation to this.

Edited by Petitioner's City

Anyone got an idea of what these things will cost? A Thanatar is huge if I recall correctly, are we looking at knight price range for that?

24 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Anyone got an idea of what these things will cost? A Thanatar is huge if I recall correctly, are we looking at knight price range for that?

The Thanatar is big but not still not Knight size. Its close to Armiger size without counting the gun on top but also bulkier. 

I'd guess a bit more than the Leviathan so 70€?

r/AdeptusMechanicus - a group of red robots on a shelf

32 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

It’s big, but like Redemptor/Armiger big. I suspect that’ll be the price range for that thing

Posted (edited)

The Thanatar will probably be between a Leviathan and Malcador in price. It fulfills the same role as the Malcador in this release. If Solar Aux is anything to go by we should get the Castellax, Thallax, Adsedularis, Magos, and Thanatar that first month with a follow on wave of bots and one of the tanks four to six weeks later like we did with the artillery and walkers. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

14 hours ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Take it up with GW Management that forcibly restructured, killed off forge world, released the trash that is 8th onward, fired people like Trish C, and canned Fires of Cyraxus. SGDS doesn’t owe anyone anything. They didn’t kill it and it’s GW main that refuses to cooperate with SGDS

Once again reminding everyone that Rohr is 3 SDGS Dudes in a Trenchcoat

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jukkiz said:

i really, REALLU don´t understand GWs decicions with admech lately. You could just made it A FACTION and not models for 40k and 30k. Make models for A FACTION that both timelines can play?

GN9A3_HWUAA0Ifa.jpg

But the thing is - it's better that the gulf of time is there. It's better that heresy things feel ancient and rare and not of the modern 42nd millennium - that's good for sense of worldbuilding and narrative, for trying to suggest difference. A chapter might have one sicarian, locked in stasis, a forge world it's treasures too, again locked up. But these shouldn't and wouldn't be commonly found, certainly not for 40k in general.

Fires of Cyraxus wasn't going to suggest the admech widely used its ancient cybernetica; it was going to be an apocalyptic scenario in which the worst technoheresies (by 41st millennium standards) were used against an overwhelming tau threat. Id imagine it would have emphasized the same rarity and preciousness as IA2 2nd edition did - something maybe just maybe fans themselves forgot or don't care for. 

If people would build their armies with that fluffy religious reference/fear, yay, but I'd be really sad (and was sad) to see "relics" spammed for tournament play with no care for what the story of the models was.

Now, it would be nice for the main team to really keep developing modern admech (go back to titanicus, please!) or redevelop how the imperium at large plays to represent it's truly varied, feudal, yet combined nature :) 

Edited by Petitioner's City

I really like all of this, except the the Tech-Thralls which could as much be down to the paint scheme.

However, I have yet to seriously do anything with what I already own for either HH or 40K admech so my wallet can take break on these. If they make some of these cross systemI would seriously consider them down the line 

11 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

But the thing is - it's better that the gulf of time is there. It's better that heresy things feel ancient and rare and not of the modern 42nd millennium - that's good for sense of worldbuilding and narrative, for trying to suggest difference. A chapter might have one sicarian, locked in stasis, a forge world it's treasures too, again locked up. But these shouldn't and wouldn't be commonly found, certainly not for 40k in general.

Fires of Cyraxus wasn't going to suggest the admech widely used its ancient cybernetica; it was going to be an apocalyptic scenario in which the worst technoheresies (by 41st millennium standards) were used against an overwhelming tau threat. Id imagine it would have emphasized the same rarity and preciousness as IA2 2nd edition did - something maybe just maybe fans themselves forgot or don't care for. 

If people would build their armies with that fluffy religious reference/fear, yay, but I'd be really sad (and was sad) to see "relics" spammed for tournament play with no care for what the story of the models was.

Now, it would be nice for the main team to really keep developing modern admech (go back to titanicus, please!) or redevelop how the imperium at large plays to represent it's truly varied, feudal, yet combined nature :) 

As a lore appreciator, I agree with you completely but I think ultimately, no matter what the tournament focused studio thinks, people just want to collect cool models. I don’t think Ad Mech players want the Thanatar because it’s powerful, it doesn’t have 40K rules to want, I think Ad Mech players enjoy collecting the robots and want to use them in the games they play. Totally understandable. Until the follow the leader zeitgeist at GW changes (Duncan talks about it in his Jordan Sorcery interview) we are stuck with this asinine one model per system rule. 

5 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

What makes the Kastelan robot okay to use and any other Legio Cybernetica stuff "heretical". There is nothing that suggest it that the Castellax robot is forbidden technology, just that they lost a lot of them during the Heresy. In fact the Kastelan robot is described as being older than the Imperium while the Castellax robot fluff states if I remember right that it was developed from older designs meaning that it was an invention by the Mechanicum based on old STC tech. Both are robots attended to by a Techpriest who issues commands to them, so why is one normal to use and the other is "worst technoheresy"? My issue with Mechanicus and Mechanicum is that there isn't really any unifiying idenity for their vehicles. Both ranges can't decide if they are 1950s retro future, Jules Verne 1800s tech or some sort of Raygun Gothic thing. The other issue I have are the recent decisions GW made with the M40 version of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Why does the faction that manufactures all the advanced spaceships and aircraft for the Imperium use topthers? How do you go from building Valkyries and using the Lighting fighters with hardwired combat servitor pilots to whatever the Archaeopter is? Why do the Pteraxii have membrane wings? Why did they even make that thing on stilts instead of a normal rifleman or a Sicarian Ruststalker assassin?

I like the Techpriests, the Skitarii, Ordo Reductor troops, Myrmidons and Legio Cybernetica. I just can't get over most of the vehicle range for AdMech/Mechanicum.

25 minutes ago, Petitioner's City said:

It's better that heresy things feel ancient and rare and not of the modern 42nd millennium

I agree but GW did not follow that outside of Space Marines or the imperial Cult. 30k Mechanicum units are no more relics than pretty much all the 40k ones than also existed during the HH (like Skitarii). Kastelan robots are supposed to be just as ancient as Castellax and the AdMech wasn't neutered by a reformation like the Space Marine Chapters.

Cybernetica robots went from common in RT, to background stuff without rules later, to HH units, but they've always been supposed to exist in one way of another.  GW keeps the ranges separate for marketing reasons, not for the background lore.

Just look at these old promo images from Fires of Cyraxus :
Fbkvj81aAAA1TzF.thumb.jpeg.4ccf67d9eaf8c663a7039383a530f727.jpeg

Fbkvj84aQAEYIM6.jpeg.2ba3debf1c3f47f219cd938b2142c9e5.jpeg

Or the HH Cybernetica novella cover art:

hhcyberneticacoverart.thumb.jpg.f5c40bad122b274a9f044510185512c5.jpg

I think some people want that, others want it just be available and there's other opinions beyond that.

The reality is that SDS does not do rules for 40k at all at this point. After the 8E Imperial Armour compendium, maintenance and then further rules were done by the main studio. Ultimately, they're the ones someone would need to convince, not the Heresy team or us on the board.