Mechanicum Battle Group & Plastification

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

Yup, just reread that part and that does make it seem that the Magos will be plastic, against all release trends so far, so cheers for pointing that out. 

Still don't appreciate the tone that's being thrown out at fellow fraters at times for just asking a question or stating an opinion. 

It's because you were asking something, proof and source had been given and you were questioning something that is a fact.

If you'd simply read the article it's very clear the magos is plastic. It came across like you were trolling which is why I was getting quite frustrated.

Matter resolved, moving on.

2 hours ago, Matcap86 said:

Edited by 01RTB01
I clicked submit and nothing happened, clicked it twice more. Oops

10 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

It's because you were asking something, proof and source had been given and you were questioning something that is a fact.

If you'd simply read the article it's very clear the magos is plastic. It came across like you were trolling which is why I was getting quite frustrated.

Matter resolved, moving on.

I think you're conflating two fraters, Bouargh asked the question, which got answered with: "It's plastic", then I asked what the source of that was (having seen the interview and (mis)read the article) and thinking that would buck a trend. That got a snippy response, I thought unwarranted. 

But very well, water under the bridge and all that. 

On 5/19/2024 at 10:51 PM, 01RTB01 said:

As an ork player I am strongly thinking about grabbing the box. I've been looting ad mech stuff for a while and this box looks a lot of fun. The only thing I wouldn't know what to do with, would be the thralls. Would 40k and mech have these stashed away somewhere as relics or totally moved on?

Very excited to see what else is coming for them.

Brother Oh One R T B Oh One, I had An Idear.

Wherever/however your Orks found the other Mechanicum stuff, they found the Thralls there, too.  They were stashed away, like pickled in formaldehyde or whatever, and whatever Techmagos that put them there had moved on or died in the Heresy.  So the Orks love looting the Triaros or use the robots as Deffdreads, the Thralls are there, what do?

I reckon Orks would use them for target practice.

The Thralls probably wouldn't be units proxy (like I wouldn't treat them as Grots), but they could be terrain, like your Orks set up a shooting range and just direct/drag the Thralls to use as test dummies.  I imagine a piece of cardboard, folded like an accordion and painted gunmetal to be like just a backwall, a number of Thralls stand in front to be shot at.

You can even put the Thralls on bases, even though they're terrain.  It represents they get marched in front of the shooting range.  Have them even in unit coherency range of each other.  They don't ever attack, but they're just a piece of terrain made of infantry or something, I dunno how to represent it in-game, it's just a fun idea.

Not too serious, just brainstorming.  As for your other question, how could GW not tell FW what's going on like, hey, 8th edition?  I remember FW rushed to get Indices out.  I totally feel you, like srsly, GW and FW work in the same building, you run into each other in the hallway at lunch, SOMEbody would've blurted out there's a new ed.

I used to think it was management dysfunction, overly silo'd/compartmentalised departments...and that all remains true...but I thought the simpler way to put it is: GW is a big company that still thinks it's a small company.  Like suddenly, everyone's talking about Warhammer, it's an overnight success 40 years in the making.

It's like a teenager having a sudden growth spurt.  He's all gangly and awkward and uncoordinated because his reach got longer and he's knocking his miniatures off the table because he doesn't know his arm is really that long now, he's grown too big for his britches and need new ones...but it's all part of growing up.

9 hours ago, N1SB said:

Brother Oh One R T B Oh One, I had An Idear.

Wherever/however your Orks found the other Mechanicum stuff, they found the Thralls there, too.  They were stashed away, like pickled in formaldehyde or whatever, and whatever Techmagos that put them there had moved on or died in the Heresy.  So the Orks love looting the Triaros or use the robots as Deffdreads, the Thralls are there, what do?

I reckon Orks would use them for target practice.

The Thralls probably wouldn't be units proxy (like I wouldn't treat them as Grots), but they could be terrain, like your Orks set up a shooting range and just direct/drag the Thralls to use as test dummies.  I imagine a piece of cardboard, folded like an accordion and painted gunmetal to be like just a backwall, a number of Thralls stand in front to be shot at.

You can even put the Thralls on bases, even though they're terrain.  It represents they get marched in front of the shooting range.  Have them even in unit coherency range of each other.  They don't ever attack, but they're just a piece of terrain made of infantry or something, I dunno how to represent it in-game, it's just a fun idea.

Not too serious, just brainstorming.  As for your other question, how could GW not tell FW what's going on like, hey, 8th edition?  I remember FW rushed to get Indices out.  I totally feel you, like srsly, GW and FW work in the same building, you run into each other in the hallway at lunch, SOMEbody would've blurted out there's a new ed.

I used to think it was management dysfunction, overly silo'd/compartmentalised departments...and that all remains true...but I thought the simpler way to put it is: GW is a big company that still thinks it's a small company.  Like suddenly, everyone's talking about Warhammer, it's an overnight success 40 years in the making.

It's like a teenager having a sudden growth spurt.  He's all gangly and awkward and uncoordinated because his reach got longer and he's knocking his miniatures off the table because he doesn't know his arm is really that long now, he's grown too big for his britches and need new ones...but it's all part of growing up.

Oooh I love the ideas! I've got a bunch of the orktarius terrain to paint up, setting up an area for target practice could be fun. Or a mek that maybe puts together some basic remote control type tech - as mechs do - and remotely control the mob, then they could be run as grots...

There's something here to be played around with for sure :) Thank you.

It's a very bizarre scenario and hopefully we don't see it repeated again. Hopefully they'll release the fluff at some stage at the very least.

I didn't think I'd be that fussed about plastic Mechanicum but I am looking forward to plastic Castellax and Thallaxi to induct to my Ultramarines (also its an excuse to get the current Praevian model before it enevitably disappears one day).

I do wonder if plastic castellax will mean the Thousand Sons special version will be redone as a resin upgrade kit?

16 minutes ago, Casual Heresy said:

I didn't think I'd be that fussed about plastic Mechanicum but I am looking forward to plastic Castellax and Thallaxi to induct to my Ultramarines (also its an excuse to get the current Praevian model before it enevitably disappears one day).

I do wonder if plastic castellax will mean the Thousand Sons special version will be redone as a resin upgrade kit?

I don’t think the Achea actually shares many parts at all with the normal Castellax (if any) so I imagine it’ll just stay as a standalone resin kit like most legion specific stuff. 

23 minutes ago, Casual Heresy said:

Given the sicarian variants are still 100% resin, I'm not sure (even if castellax-achea shared the same bits) we'd see that change.

Love seeing more plastic factions in heresy and plastic options in general. I don’t plan on starting an army of these guys, but maybe some to sprinkle in, especially if we get plastic vorax.

On 5/20/2024 at 3:29 PM, Petitioner's City said:

But the thing is - it's better that the gulf of time is there. It's better that heresy things feel ancient and rare and not of the modern 42nd millennium - that's good for sense of worldbuilding and narrative, for trying to suggest difference. A chapter might have one sicarian, locked in stasis, a forge world it's treasures too, again locked up. But these shouldn't and wouldn't be commonly found, certainly not for 40k in general.

Fires of Cyraxus wasn't going to suggest the admech widely used its ancient cybernetica; it was going to be an apocalyptic scenario in which the worst technoheresies (by 41st millennium standards) were used against an overwhelming tau threat. Id imagine it would have emphasized the same rarity and preciousness as IA2 2nd edition did - something maybe just maybe fans themselves forgot or don't care for. 

If people would build their armies with that fluffy religious reference/fear, yay, but I'd be really sad (and was sad) to see "relics" spammed for tournament play with no care for what the story of the models was.

Now, it would be nice for the main team to really keep developing modern admech (go back to titanicus, please!) or redevelop how the imperium at large plays to represent it's truly varied, feudal, yet combined nature :) 

I disagree. First of all, tournament play will never and don't has to be in any way fluff driven. If you go to a narrative event, you can expect fluffy lists, but a tournament is not the place for that. 

Second, there are more rare things in 40k which you will encounter far more frequently than expected. I would even be so bold to claim that the Blood Angels still have more Contemptor Dreads than Lemarteses. Yet you see him very often.

Third, those are our toys, so let us use them! If I want to play an Ad Mech army, where my Dominus has the habit to be a real show off, so he rides into battle in his super rare triaros every single time, then please let me just do it! It's not like the warp would rip open if we break some strange real world rules like no more 30k in 40k.

Yeah, there are primarchs running round in 40k, by definition one-offs. It doesn't make sense that tech-thralls - the cheap, disposable troops, one level above servitors can't be used by 40k ad-mech, or that Custodes Contemptor dreads can only use two of the many options that kit comes with because they're locked to a kit no longer sold, but don't want to give sales to "the other team". Very frustrating.  

The Primarch comparison doesn't really hold up, as you can't really use the majority of them in 40k, and vice versa.

Seeing these in plastic is very tempting. These bots look awesome.

Agree the priest looks a bit more 40k, though I still like it.

I personally think neither team is the one forcing the split, but that higher up leadership wants to be able to track numbers with stronger granularity/confidence for resource allocation. From dealing with corporate stuff, that stands out to me as the kind of decision that would come from high up.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

I personally think neither team is the one forcing the split, but that higher up leadership wants to be able to track numbers with stronger granularity/confidence for resource allocation. From dealing with corporate stuff, that stands out to me as the kind of decision that would come from high up.

The Honest Wargamer spilled the tea on it. They each have their own Profit & Loss sheets to guard. Same reason as to why some factions aren’t in the Old World, but remain in AoS. It is really dumb

5 hours ago, Rhavien said:

Third, those are our toys, so let us use them!

I find this the most persuasive perspective. As much as I may lament the lack of certain "game dials" with the move to the rule of three and battleline, I usually find it is outweighed by the ability for people to play with the models they like and want to put on the table.

The gold standard for rarity in 40k is always tactical marines (Or the Primaris equivalent) given there are at most 440 Blood Angel tactical marines in the entire universe. Usually less seeing as some of those are dead, training, driving vehicles, command squads or whatever. 

Thats incredibly rare! 

There are probably more tech thralls (Or equivalent scum) bimbling around any particular forge temple's sewers off book and lost or sitting in cupboards forgotten like a slightly disappointing toastie maker or ice cream machine :D 

Given the entire concept of 40(and 30 for that matter)k is the schwerpunkt or movie style focus of the war, slightly esoteric, rare  stuff like space marines popping up really isnt a problem though, as mentioned above, collect the toy soldiers you want and have fun with them, i just wish GW was more down with supporting that these days.

(And yeah, its rarely (but not never...)  the creatives driving these feuds but their handlers)