Tzeentch and the Thousand Sons of Magnus

Apropos of nothing, I stumbled over a couple of 'true-scale' Thousand Sons that I made a while back for @Commissar Molotov's The War in the Eye project.

I never got round to painting them at the time, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Tzeentch (my abortive Chaos Army in 2nd edition consisted of nine Thousand Sons, a Lord of Change and a pile of Horrors), and thought I might work them up. I don't imagine they'll ever be a proper army, but perhaps I might make a Kill Team one day.

IMG_1959.jpeg

The conversion work is relatively simple apart from the torso, which is covered step-by-step here, if you'd like to have a go. Other than that, we've got Rubric shoulder pads, backpack, boltgun and head along with Primaris/Mark III arms. The legs are provided by Scarab Occult Terminators.

IMG_1958.jpeg

As you can see, this gives them a bit more presence – and together with their ceremonial headdresses, they're quite imposing!

IMG_1957.jpeg

Any thoughts on colour scheme? Can't decide whether to go retro, blue-and-yellow, red-and-gold, or something entirely different.

Edited by apologist

I don't think you can lose with Thousand Sons schemes. I've done the original cobalt/gold, the Silver Sons scheme of darker blue with silver trim, and am going to do some heresy era red/gold for use in 30k and 40k. Personally, I've found painting the metallic schemes, that is, contrasts over a metallic undercoat, an absolute joy to paint, and really fast. 

Though as they are...the Black Legion scheme might be a good fit. Maybe convert a true scale Khayon?

I started compiling TS schemes in this topic:

On 6/21/2024 at 12:40 PM, apologist said:

Apropos of nothing, I stumbled over a couple of 'true-scale' Thousand Sons that I made a while back for @Commissar Molotov's The War in the Eye project.

I never got round to painting them at the time, but I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Tzeentch (my abortive Chaos Army in 2nd edition consisted of nine Thousand Sons, a Lord of Change and a pile of Horrors), and thought I might work them up. I don't imagine they'll ever be a proper army, but perhaps I might make a Kill Team one day.

IMG_1959.jpeg

The conversion work is relatively simple apart from the torso, which is covered step-by-step here, if you'd like to have a go. Other than that, we've got Rubric shoulder pads, backpack, boltgun and head along with Primaris/Mark III arms. The legs are provided by Scarab Occult Terminators.

IMG_1958.jpeg

As you can see, this gives them a bit more presence – and together with their ceremonial headdresses, they're quite imposing!

IMG_1957.jpeg

Any thoughts on colour scheme? Can't decide whether to go retro, blue-and-yellow, red-and-gold, or something entirely different.

Another apologist project? Love it! Keep them coming sir