My Idea for a DIY Chapter

ok this is my first post here so here goes: ok I have an Idea for my own Space Marine Chapter it's not much but here is what I have so far:

Chapter Name: Dragon Knights (I like Dragons ^_^ )

Geneseed used: Unknown (most records of their creation were lost or destroyed)

What founding they are is also Unknown as a result of said destruction/loss of records

I havent thought of a Chapter Symbol (I cant draw to save my life anyways)

Colour Scheme is going to be something like Snot Green or Dark Angels green for the main armour colour with Red Gore/Scab Red on the shoulder pads and greaves with Mithril Silver and Black for the bolters and Shining Gold for any other details.

I was going to have in their background that they are based in the Ultima Segmentum/Eastern Fringe currently operating aboard a Star Fort after their homeworld got destroyed (havent quite figured on who destroyed it or what the planet was even called man I maybe need to think more on this :D )

anyway that's all i've got and I could use some help on what I need to add or improve. :D

What does having their history and parentage achieve in your chapter's theme? In the Blood Ravens, it hides a great secret, the possibility that they may have Thousand Sons Gene-seed.

In yours, however, it seems like an excuse for laziness, honestly. They don't seem very lucky, either, if their homeworld and all records about them have been lost.

You might want to consider these:

An Index Astartes Article generally has the following categories:

Origins

- Why the Chapter was founded, what happened in the very early days of the chapter. Who was involved in their creation. Mention some of the chapter's influential figures. A Chapter Master that shaped the chapter to his will, for example.

Homeworld

The chapter's homeworld and base of operations. Ideas about the type of world and the people that live there. Why they're good recruits for marines.

Combat Doctrine

How your chapter fights on the battlefield.

Organisation

How your chapter is organised. Does it stick to the codex? Is it totally different? Why have these changes come about, and what purpose do they serve?

Beliefs

What your chapter thinks about things. Perhaps its' view of the Emperor, their primarch, other chapters, other branches of the Imperium. Perhaps, if necessary, their view on aliens or chaos.

Gene-seed

Which primarch they're descended from, and whether their gene-seed has any peculiar mutations.

Come up with some ideas for these, and we'll be able to give our thoughts on them.

Please don't let my comments discourage you. I whole-heartedly applaud anyone who takes the time to come up with a DIY chapter. But a lot of people use the "records destroyed" excuse as just that - an excuse. It's not (and shouldn't be) a convenient get-out clause. Any chapter without knowledge of its' primarch and parentage would be adrift. Legacy and honour are two important things to marines. Those without knowledge of their history would do what they can to find it out. Missing records should have a large impact on a chapter.

Good luck with what you do; I look forward to reading the results. :D

It takes a small amount of courage to post thoughts on a public forum such as these. True strength comes in accepting suggestions as a way for improvement.

Or some Zen-like quote meant to be uplifting and helpful :D

I also look forward to seeing the revision ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I royally messed this up so here are some changes I have decided to make:

Chapter Name: The Iron Dragons (the old name sounded dumb also if that name is already taken dont hesistate to point it out)

Geneseed: ok I still dont know what to do about this one but i've crossed a few posibilities off the list (I dont want my chapter descended from Corax, Leman Russ or Sanguinius 3 Loyalist Primarchs down 6 left to choose from)

Founding:ok I've decided my chapter will have been founded in the 38th Millenium if anybody knows what founding number that is that would be great.

Homeworld: I'm thinking their homeworld will either be a Hive world or a Death world I still cant think up a name but it's gonna be located in the Ultima Segmentum/Eastern Fringe and it's still perfectly intact despite my efforts to write it off as destroyed :lol: .

Combat Doctrine: I'm thinking that my chapter may want to try and strike some sort of balance between close combat and ranged attack rather than going for one or the other.

Organisation: Standard Codex Organisation for now but I may decide to change that.

ok that's all I can think of I know i've still left holes useful advice on what to add in place of the holes without making my Marines cliche would be welcomed.

Looks Better Now :lol: (Molotov your scaring away the new-comers, who are we going to eat then? :lol:)

Chapter Name: The Iron Dragons (the old name sounded dumb also if that name is already taken dont hesistate to point it out)

Iron Dragons sounds ok, but sounds like it would lead to a "heavy" army, with termies/tanks etc. Depending on what type of dragon your going for, changes the name. I would say go for a western dragon and maybe something more earth, like the Stone Dragons.

Geneseed: ok I still dont know what to do about this one but i've crossed a few posibilities off the list (I dont want my chapter descended from Corax, Leman Russ or Sanguinius 3 Loyalist Primarchs down 6 left to choose from)

If you cant decided, go Imperial Fists or Ultramarines. Maybe Vulkan if you go for fire-breathing, but that isnt important.

Founding:ok I've decided my chapter will have been founded in the 38th Millenium if anybody knows what founding number that is that would be great.

Probably somewhere around the 23rd, no-one's too sure.

Homeworld: I'm thinking their homeworld will either be a Hive world or a Death world I still cant think up a name

Deathworlds are always best for Marine Chapters. Harder the world is to survive on, the better the recruits. As for names, go play with a translator and edit words slightly.

Combat Doctrine: I'm thinking that my chapter may want to try and strike some sort of balance between close combat and ranged attack rather than going for one or the other.

Maybe have a fondness for flamers (like the Sallies) for fire breathing :D

Organisation: Standard Codex Organisation for now but I may decide to change that.

Standard Organisation is always good

Ferrata

I like "Iron Dragons" myself. I'm also a dragon-chapter guy, so welcome to the fold. :lol:

Imperial Fists and Ultramarines gene-seed are the most commonly used seeds to found new chapters. If you don't have anything specific you want the gene-seed to accomplish in your backstory, then you can't go wrong defaulting to one of these. Furthermore, sometimes people seem to try to go too far outside the box with their gene-seed, trying to really set their chapter apart. But there are plenty of other ways to make your chapter unique. Don't feel like you have to be creative with the gene-seed.

It sounds like you're already moving away from the destroyed records thing. That sounds good to me. Remember, it's IMPERIAL records that keep these things book-kept, and getting Imperial records lost/destroyed is a much bigger deal to explain than simply having a homeworld blown up. Losing Imperial records is going to involve some serious creative story-telling. But if you're up to that task, go for it. It can be done well, but if it isn't done well, it'll make some people groan.

Have you thought about using the Traits system to help make your chapter more unique on the battlefield? (Well, there's so many DIYers out there, maybe you won't be unique after all, but Traits are still fun to play with.) You can get some creative inspiration sometimes by reading through the advantages and disadvantages, and thinking about how they might suit your vision for your chapter. That, in turn, can get you thinking of explanations for how your chapter may have started deviating from strict Codex adherence.

Anyway, it's a fun process. Enjoy, and good luck!

As to color scheme: I don't see any compelling reason that color scheme and name need to be linked. It can be fun, but it certainly isn't necessary. If it bothers you that green and "Iron" don't seem to go well together, you can just add more gray-metallic color to your scheme somehow - i.e., keep the green and red in most places, but put some gray-metal in there on shoulder pads, knee pads, helmets, and/or any old place that you think it would look cool.

Chapter Symbol: This is a tough one that I struggled with. If you're very industrious, there are ways to create little stencils for this sort of thing. If you're like me, you can come up with something that is "stylized" rather than detailed. My "dragon" symbol really conists of a few straight and curved lines that roughly approximate a dragon. I'm also incorporating a bit of fluff into my chapter background to explain why their heraldry isn't so crisp as most chapters. A final option is to use the logo of an established chapter, so you can use their decals, but add some extra paint floureshs around the decal to make it unique to your chapter. Salamanders have a good, dragon-esque decal you can use. Come up with some kind of unique, but simple, paint design to put on the shoulderpad (or whatever) before applying the decal, and, VOILA! Instant chapter symbol that looks good. Not the most original method, but it looks good and doesn't take much skill.

Your choice of primarch leaves Vulkan, Guilliman, Dorn, Khan, Ferrus Manus, and Jonson. Dark Angels successors are rare; White Scars wouldn't strike me as a chapter of Iron Dragons unless there was some connection with bikes. Ferrus Manus might have something to do with the Iron Dragon - if you were to link it to the story of Asirnoth, the Great Silver Wyrm. Iron Hands successors would certainly be interesting. Otherwise, you could go with the more usual primarchs.

Actually, the idea of a chapter based around Asirnoth is rather interesting...

Cool chapter name. Any dragon based chapter has got to be good :)

The chapter symbol is the thing that I'm having the most trouble coming up with for my chapter. I'm trying to create a symbol based on the Black Dragons, but with some slight modifications to make it my own. It doesn't help that I'm trying to create it on the computer so I can get it produced as decals :lol:

Have you given any thought to the combat doctrine of the Iron Dragons? To me the name conjures up images of lots of armoured vehicles. And being able to soak up lots of punishment and keep on coming at you.

Have you given any thought to the combat doctrine of the Iron Dragons? To me the name conjures up images of lots of armoured vehicles. And being able to soak up lots of punishment and keep on coming at you.

well that's certainly something i've got to consider anybody else with suggestions about the chapter's combat doctrine????

what is this Asirnoth and where can I find more information about it???

In the Iron Hands' Index Astartes article. Asirnoth, the Great Silver Wyrm was stalked by Ferrus Manus on Medusa. It had skin made of living metal that was impervious to harm. He eventually killed it by holding the writhing creature submerged in a lava flow, enduring horrific pain. When he finally removed his arms from the lava, his hands were encased in the same living metal that the creature's skin was made of, a metal that was as flexible as flesh, as strong as the hardest ceramite. That's how Ferrus Manus got his metal hands. You could read it in greater detail in the IA article.

In the Iron Hands' Index Astartes article. Asirnoth, the Great Silver Wyrm was stalked by Ferrus Manus on Medusa. It had skin made of living metal that was impervious to harm. He eventually killed it by holding the writhing creature submerged in a lava flow, enduring horrific pain. When he finally removed his arms from the lava, his hands were encased in the same living metal that the creature's skin was made of, a metal that was as flexible as flesh, as strong as the hardest ceramite. That's how Ferrus Manus got his metal hands. You could read it in greater detail in the IA article.

wow cool where might I find this article???

Welcome to the B&C Galatan. I can see this isn't your first posting, but one of them. Also, I should welcome you to the Draco Astartes! If you've seen it here there is a group of players who have created the Aegyptus Astartes, a group of Egyptian themed chapters. Some of us are interested in creating a group, or at least listing of, Draconic chapters. GW has created a few, like the Black Dragons and Star Dragons. A lot of us DIYers want to add to the list. You're welcome to join us.

I'm glad to see you're straying from some of your original ideas. They way you first described your chapter I found the description to have a number of parallels to my Platinum Dragons. The way you are headed, though, I think my toes may not be tread on so much. You've certainly inspired me to hurry up and post some fluff to establish my turf. All I've put up so far really is my paint scheme and geneseed. If you like the name Iron Dragons (pretty decent if ya ask me) I think you shouyld definitely use Iron Hands/Ferrus Manus geneseed for them. With that name, I picture a heavily mechanized force, probably rather shooty. Not very much fast moving stuff like bikes or speeders, but very sturdy and lots of armor and heavies like terminators and dreads.

As for the color scheme, the pic you posted looks incomplete. I went ahead and bashed up something like I imagined you'd like. Let me know what ya think. I used the colors in your original description, but I replaced the silver with chainmail. I think silver would be too light and shiny for an "iron" army. For the logo, though, how about some sort of mechanical dragon head? I think some sort of mechadragon would fit nicely.

gallery_18392_455_3346.jpg

Welcome to the B&C Galatan. I can see this isn't your first posting, but one of them. Also, I should welcome you to the Draco Astartes! If you've seen it here there is a group of players who have created the Aegyptus Astartes, a group of Egyptian themed chapters. Some of us are interested in creating a group, or at least listing of, Draconic chapters. GW has created a few, like the Black Dragons and Star Dragons. A lot of us DIYers want to add to the list. You're welcome to join us.

I'm glad to see you're straying from some of your original ideas. They way you first described your chapter I found the description to have a number of parallels to my Platinum Dragons. The way you are headed, though, I think my toes may not be tread on so much. You've certainly inspired me to hurry up and post some fluff to establish my turf. All I've put up so far really is my paint scheme and geneseed. If you like the name Iron Dragons (pretty decent if ya ask me) I think you shouyld definitely use Iron Hands/Ferrus Manus geneseed for them. With that name, I picture a heavily mechanized force, probably rather shooty. Not very much fast moving stuff like bikes or speeders, but very sturdy and lots of armor and heavies like terminators and dreads.

As for the color scheme, the pic you posted looks incomplete. I went ahead and bashed up something like I imagined you'd like. Let me know what ya think. I used the colors in your original description, but I replaced the silver with chainmail. I think silver would be too light and shiny for an "iron" army. For the logo, though, how about some sort of mechanical dragon head? I think some sort of mechadragon would fit nicely.

well cheers for your imput and thanks very much for the pic I may just end up using that colour scheme on my Marines ^_^

Archived