A mix of Byzantium/Norse

Kastellan Kong

Has anybody done this already? I was thinking about starting a new loyalist chapter called the Varangian Guard... A mix of space wolves and imperial fists (don't worry I'm not talking about mixing geneseed)...

Giving them the glourious, adorned armour, but underneath they are still the ruff savage norsemen...

So what do you think? Also, the name... Is it taken? :D

Sounds good ^_^ mmm Byzantine my favourite.

Those are the big beared guys (Like Vikings) who where severly loyal and I think they didn't flee at the final battle for Constantinople if my old clogs where ticking hehe.

Should offer some great modelling oportunities. Also the name is probably unused :)

No that was at the battle of Mantzikert of 1071. In 1452 there was already no more Varangian Guard.

Sounds good ^_^ mmm Byzantine my favourite.

Those are the big beared guys (Like Vikings) who where severly loyal and I think they didn't flee at the final battle for Constantinople if my old clogs where ticking hehe.

Should offer some great modelling oportunities.  Also the name is probably unused :)

I like the idea a lot, it has potential. Go for it.

Ok, a couple of ideas have formed and I would like to hear what you think of them... I haven't put it down in well writen fluff format just yet so this is just a test to see if my ideas are sound.

The Varangian Guard (Possibly change the "guard" bit to something else... I don't know yet)

This is going to be a pretty old chapter, I was thinking 3rd or 4th founding. They are based in the northern part of segmentum solar...

I want the chapter to have strong ties (for space marines anyway) to the ecclesiarchy, and that they operate out of the ecclesiarchy cult worlds of the Constantinus sub sector. The Varangian Guards swore to protect Constantinus on behalf of a venerated saint (of course this was when this saint was still alive...).

The chapter won't recruite from these systems, rather they have sworn to protect them... (they are, however, not a militant arm of church as such) Instead the Varangian Guard get their recruites from the ferral moones Hugin and Munin orbiting the Arctic deathworld of Varg IV.

The look of the chapter (I've started modeling a squad, but haven't got a camera around right now) is going to be ornate, their armour will display their loyalty to the Emperor and their connection to the ecclesiarchy with only a small hint of to their norse heritage.

The chapter is fleet based and regularly roam as far as Terra itself, and also lent some minor (as in a strike cruiser at most) assistance to the beligured forces of the Gothic sector during the war of 143.M41.

What do you think so far? Good, bad? What works? Nothing here is set in stone... :lol:

Certainly good... the 'tamed savages' theme is a very interesting one. Perhaps when the venerated saint was alive, the Varangian chapter master swore an oath to protect her 'until the day the chapter dies' or some such. So now they guard her grave. The Ecclesiarchy isn't happy about it, but they can't argue with a heavily-armed marine chapter.

I like it! The tomb idea is great! :)

It does make you think... what can a saint have done to get such respect and loyalty from a space marine chapter? ^_^

Shall I try and explain why or would that detract from the story? (personally I love a good mystery... Maybe I should just hint at a reason...)

Captain Hardraade... Has a nice ring to it. (good to know a norweigan viking king is in the ranks aye?) ^_^

Only about 500 and 600 hundred strong, The Varangian guard are a smaller than normal chapters. This is not due to losses in battle but rather because they take such extrem care in only picking only the very best.

99% of all new recruits are taken from the small moons of Hugin and Munin and the chapter is very reluctant in picking "outsiders" to join the chapter. This metod is quite slow but it also means that the average recruite stands a better chance of surviving to become full fledged space marines.

This being said, the chapter has never been at "full" strenght...

What do you think? :)

Ps. disregard the colour scheme... I just can't make up my mind :)

Some more thoughts and ideas that I've got for my chapter...

The world of Constantinus III, during it's glory days the world received pilgrims from all over the segmentum and beyond, people came from far and wide to bask in it's splendour. That was a long time ago, now the crowds are gone and all that is left is a mosaic of weather-beaten chapels, towers, worn grand halls and tunnels. What once was a sprawling hive world is now largely deserted, populated by clearics and scribes of the ecclesiarchy and the poor and downtrodden masses. It is generally regarded as a backwater world of little interest to anyone but the people how call it home.

Hidden away and mostly forgotten in the dark and dank vaults and chambers are innumerable books and holy relics, items of the occult. Although most of these are of minor value, there are exeptions, for this is also the resting place of Saint Comenus the Saviour.

The tomb of Saint Comenus is still being watched over by his sworn protectors, the Varangian Guards chapter of space marines.

The Varangians, being mostly fleet based, don

Interesting... how do you intend to show this subterrainian bias? Lack of speeders seems like an obvious one and perhaps few jetpacks and only a 0-1 choice of landraiders as they are so large?

Hmm... and would you go heavy on the termies as they are an older chapter for one and you mentioned ornate... perhaps alot of runic and termi armor floating around there.

The ideas about Constantinus are good - however I might consider changing it from a hive world to a civilised world. Hive Worlds are effectively large factory-worlds (not the same as Forge Worlds, I'll go into the differences if you like).

Hive Worlds aren't as likely to have been abandoned as a civilised world. The idea of a down-trodden world that was once glorious is a very interesting one.

Apart from that, they're some very good ideas. The Varangian Guard are shaping up to be very interesting.

Thanks for yor replies... :(

I really don't know exactlly how I am going to represent them on the battlefield with the rules yet. It's to much a WIP for me to get bogged down in traits and stuff like that yet. I'm a little concerned that if I start to try and define them using traits right now I will lose the creative spark that I've got going...

This being said, Grey Mage I will still take your suggestions into consideration as they seem to feel about right. :P

Yeah, I think I'm going to change it so that the capital city is hive-like and not the entire planet. I just wanted a place that is hugh, sprawling and klaustrofobic... An ancient city built layer upon layer. Some place nice :huh:

I still want the planet to have LARGE cities. But I guess that "hive world" specifies what they do as well as how they look... I just wanted the look.

My idea was that the hive cities had been built when the planet was at it's peak. When they still got money flowing in from all the visitors and the pilgrims. Kind of like a "religious factory".

Does this make any sense at all or am I just rambling here? :)

Yes, I want to stay as far away as possible from the Space Wolves as possible.

I don't want my chapter to be associated with them in any way... The geneseed for the Varangians is probably Ultra or Imperial anyway...

This is and will always be a codex chapter...

Oh yeah... and new fluff will probably be up tonight. :)

if they are gaurdians of a tomb, why not use a tomb world (imperial not necron)? Layer upon layer, very little outside contact. Just a thought. I love the names of the moons "thought" and "memory" right? Odin's ravens?

I love the ideas so far.

Better days.

Archived