A mix of Byzantium/Norse

Kastellan Kong

Because they're guardians of one specific tomb. And I like the idea of the old decrepit cardinal world. The Ecclesiarchy don't like the Varangian Guard being there, but ancient oaths and the like permit them to be there. There's friction but the Varangians aren't going anywhere.

Yessire... I couldn't hve put it better myself Molotov. :P

New fluff... I have started to concentrate a little on their organization and combat doctrine and will be returning with more on the planet and background a little later...

So here goes... :devil:

Combat Doctrine:

Close combat, it came from the mindset of the marines themselves and also developed out of practicality.

The pre-marine life of the members of the Varangian Guard is brutal and bloody. The peoples of the twin moones Hugin and Munin live by the blade and the axe, those that don

No one has anything to say aye?

Well... just to be a annoying, here is some more info on the Varangians... ;)

Organization:

The Varangian Guard has tried as far as possible to adhear to the Codex Astartes but a couple of factors have made it necessary to make a few structural concession.

Only about 500 and 600 hundred strong (see geneseed for clarification), the Varangian Guard are a smaller than normal chapters. This means that the number of companies has been reduced from ten to six, with none but the first and sixth companies being specialized. The first is a dedicated veteran company and the sixth being a scout company. This leaves companies two through five with a mix of all the different elements that make up a chapter. Each company still roughly contains the hundred fighting men specified in the Codex Astartes.

Some names have change as well. The chapter master of the Varangian Guard is usually refered to as the Akolouthos (the

Archived