Storm Lions

+cuchulain+

geneseed: ultramarines

founding: ?

chapter symbol: lion; blue armor with yellow helmet, veterans wear a white helmet

homeworld: tribal/clan world, no central leadership - clans all war against each other, men grow up naturally to be warriors, mountainous landscape with huge plains of grassland, rains alot

combat doctrine: balanced attack

organization: ultramarine codex

belief system: ?

any feedback or help with my chapter is greatly appreciated as this is my first attempt into a diy chapter. also new to 40k after a 5 year break.

Okay. I think you might want to establish why they have a lion in their heraldry. Not necessarily vital but it might give you some angle on their background and beliefsystem. Perhaps there's a particularly vicious type of lion on their homeworld?

Is your chapter's Fortress Monestary on this world, or onboard a fleet? Perhaps it's circling the world on a moon?

You mentioned the Ultramarines codex. Do you mean you want to actually use the Ultramarines rules (special rules included) or the generic space marines rules?

When you come up with more ideas, we can be of more assistance, smoothing and fixing fluff, choosing combat doctrines (should you want them) etc.

Looks good so far, keep us posted... ;)

ok thanks,

for the lion, the way young men on the planet prove they are warriors, they are sent to go hunt a lion and bring back the body to the tribe in a coming of age ritual.

the storm is due to the fact there is alot of rain and storms on the planet.

the fortress of the chapter is on the planet's moon. the chapter monitors wars on the planet and picks its recruits by valor and courage in battle.

and yea, i would use a generic codex.

this is what i wrote for the homeworld.

let me know what you think...

Across the surface of the planet there are many clans at war with each other for land. Under a still primitive feudal system, kings are born and die and warriors fight for the honor of their names.

The landscape is lush with grasslands and plains that sweep towards the mountain chains that divide the land into areas of land that kings fight desperately to control. It rains on a daily basis and the temperature is cool, yet not enough to produce snow or ice, even in the mountains.

Each clan has a king who leads them in battle. As a coming of age ritual, the boys become men in the eyes of the clan by hunting a fierce lion to the death and bringing the massive fallen beast back to his clan for the clan to eat and celebrate the youth

If the landing is such a momentous event, why don't you let the youths bring their slain lions to the landingsite? if they can hand over a dead lion's skin, they are accepted as scouts.

They could then later use the same pelt or other part of the lion (claws, fangs) as decoration on their armour when they become battlebrothers.

This provides you with a nice hook to model some cool stuff on your marines, maybe use some SW parts, as they have some pelts/teeth/claws that could be used in such a way with a minimum of converting.

Also, you need some objectives for the tribes to war over, as a feudal society on an entire planet should have enough land to go around. Perhaps it's herds of wild cattle used for food and resources? Or wells, woods (building material, fuel etc) or anything really...

i like the direction this is going in, but id like to keep the sw type stuff off my marines. perhaps they are so strict following the honor of being a marine they dont allow the wearing of the homeworld lion remains.

or in a more ritualistic way, the remains of the lion are sacrificed in fire so no remains are left.

any ideas here?

Okay then; as a rite of passage, when a youth brings in a dead lion, he's accepted as a scout. To honour this, he gets to eat the lion's meat, basically eat its soul. So maybe just eating the heart would suffice.

Then, when he's to become a full battlebrother, he has to burn the lion's skin to ritually leave his planet's past behind and become a lion in service of the chapter...

thanks.

thats good.

eating the heart is good and i like the idea of the lion pelt burning to symbolize the death of the lion and the scout becoming a marine "lion"

now where do i look for things like founding and location of the planet and such?

As for location, you go HERE and pick a segmentum, any segmentum, lol. Just remeber that if there are certain oponents you tend to fight more, it looks good having your world near their turf. So basically if you fight a lot of Chaos Marines, being near Ultramar looks silly. As for system and planet....MAKE ONE UP! There are supposedly "fewer Marines than the worlds they protect." So basically the planets listed there are just those we know of from official fluff. With millions of worlds in the Imperium, you can make up about anything you want.

revised homeworld fluff.

Across the surface of the planet Dal Cas, located near the edge of Segmentum Tempstus, there are many clans at war with each other for land. Under a still primitive feudal system, kings are born and die and warriors fight for the honor of their names.

The landscape is lush with grasslands and plains that sweep towards the mountain chains that divide the land into areas of land that kings fight desperately to control. It rains on a daily basis and the temperature is cool, yet not enough to produce snow or ice, even in the mountains.

There are many animals that inhabit the planet. Mostly animals of burden and docile beasts which are kept for food and resources such as milk, furs and bones. The most feared of all the wild roaming beasts is the Dal Cassian Lion, which is hunted by clansman as a test of strength and skill as a warrior.

Once a clansman brings the remains of a lion he has hunted, he offers it as a sacrifice to the marines who orbit the planet on the moon Boru in their chapter fortress monastery. Upon doing so, the courageous warrior is inducted into the chapter as a fledgling scout. After the recruit has proven himself worthy of becoming a brother marine, a ceremony is held on the planet in which the scout eats the heart of the lion and burns the remains of the animal in a symbolic ritual dictating the passing of the great beast and the coming of the new marine who has taken the soul of the lion.

Combat Doctrine:

The Storm Lions are an extremely proud with a significant divergence from the Codex. They are both Pious and Fierce and believe no mercy or respite is due the enemy and that they suffer not the tyranids to live. They also have pride in their colors and prefer to meet their enemies eye to eye.

Okay, probably easily worked in, but why do they hate the 'Nids with such passion?

And you are aware of the fact that this trait needs to be modelled on the army, right? If you didn't want lionpelts, then I'm pretty sure you don't want 'Nid skulls and talons on your guys either...

good points.

ill remove the pious trait, as lions are not in life a very pious animal, and replace it with courageous and the trust your battle brother advantage.

this seems to go more along the lines with the army i have in mind.

i originally chose the tyranid trait because the person i mainly play with has a tyranid army, but i dont want to base my chapter on who i play, it seems thats not a very sound way to build a belivable chapter.

It depends; there are two types of chapter. The first is where you use fluff to justify your traits. Preferred enemy - Tyranids is a useful trait, especially with the large number of Tyranid armies appearing at the moment. The other is where you come up with the fluff and then try to find suitable rules. I know someone who has preferred enemy - Orks even though nobody in his area plays Orks.

Now, that's not saying either method is wrong or right - both work for different people. It's just up to you to decide which works for you. :wacko:

This is kind of unrelated to anything else in the thread so far, but it's a few ideas I had for a lion-related chapter a while back. If you want storm shields or combat shields, the WHFB Empire spearmen have round shields with a raised lion head in the center. Also, on one of the Empire command sprues, there's a fur cloak with the lion head still attached. You can attach it to a marine's shoulder pad as a pelt, or file off the pelt completely and leave the pad off and just use the head as a sculpted pad, although I think it might be a little small for that, I haven't tried it myself. Anyway, just a few random modeling thoughts.

Also, on one of the Empire command sprues, there's a fur cloak with the lion head still attached. 

Really? That sounds cool. I'm always on the lookout for liony stuff myself for obvious reasons. Can you be more specific on the sprue you mentioned though? I've leafed through the Big Bad Yankee Book of Bitz, version 2004 and couldn't find it. The one sprue that is a candidate (has been for longer because of other lion related bitz) is the Empire Knights Sprue, 994799390202003. That has a cloaklike thing on it, but on the sprue, it is reversed so in the picture it is not discernable as a pelt.

Can anyone confirm this bit of info? Because if this rumour's true, I'll be getting me a few of those...

I've looked and can't find that. The White Lions of CHrace have a lion head, but it's attached to the high elf wearing it.

The only Lion thing I could find from the Empire are these shields and the shiled of Repanse de Lyonesse.

I looked quite a bit, so I may have missed it, but if that bit exists it's not in the online store.

That cloak is on the Empire Knightly Order Sprue, #99380202003 in the US. It also has some nifty Knights Panther bits that could work for your chapter also.

Also, if you're looking to equip anyone with combat or storm shields, the Knights Panther shields from the Empire Knightly Order Shields sprue (#99360202001) might work.

$8 is an awful lot to pay for one cloak though, I'd have to suggest trading with someone at your local game shop for one.

Archived