Draco Astartes

Talock

Hello all yes Bahamut and i have make the decision to make the post for the Draco Astartes I know they are not many of us out there but for the few that are here is it for any chapter that may have any thing to do with dragons and mythical reptiles.

Remembering that Draco Astartes is for Chapters with a Draconic (dragon-like) and mythical reptiles (i.e. Hydras)names/themes/imagery.(also all types of dragons eg; Wyrms, Drakes and so on.)

even know that their are Chapters already with such Draconic names/themes/imagery(The Salamanders, Black Dragons, and Star Dragons) they well still be part of the Draco Astartes even know they are own by GW i well still have them part of this.

My own army well be up in the next day or two I

Name: Iron Dragons

Origin of Geneseed: Ferrus Manus, Primarch of the Iron Hands

Founding:founded in the 38th Millenium so possibly 23rd/24th founding.

Homeworld: an as yet un-named Deathworld in the Ultima Segmentum/Eastern Fringe

Combat Doctrine: possibly heavily mechanised with lots of tanks and tough hard hitting elites

Organisation: so far standard codex organisation but I may change that.

heres my DIY it is so far incomplete due to issues regarding background history, chapter symbol and other stuff I still need to work out.

You should clarify more that the Draco Astartes is for non DIY chapters too. The Salamanders, Black Dragons, and Star Dragons are included!

My chapter is the Platinum Dragons, a 25th founding Salamanders Successor. I'm writing an article on them now, should be up in the next week or so, depending on schoolwork.

@Melechor: Thank you for correcting your mistake. If you would like to use or create a Dragon-themed chapter, however, we would gladly welcome you.

EVERYONE: If you missed it before, please note, this thread is ONLY for chapters with dragon-based or dragon-like themes or names. Other mythical reptiles (i.e. Hydras) MAY be allowed with approval.

I thiking of a dragon chapter but cant think of any names any one want to help me out with some sample ones?

I was thiking Dragon Templars or Crimson Dragons.

Chapter Name: Crimson Dragons (could be change)

Chapter orgin: 4th or 26th

Chapter geneseed: salamander

homeworld: undecided (early greek- city states planet.)

Combat Doctrine: Mid-range then going up close for the kill.

Organzation: 11 Companies. 2 scout companies. The fifth ,first, and third companies are crusading companies often going onto crusade that could last up to 10 yrs or more.

More to be add as i think of orgins.

Well, I would advise against Crimson Dragons because the Red Dragons are here.

Hooray!

RED DRAGONS:

Homeworld - Gribaltar (captured Tau Sept)

Geneseed - Dark Angels (slight mutation of the Larraman's organ)

Founding - 8th

Combat Doctrine - Shneeky

Organization - Individual squads, arranged into temporary task forces or operating independetly

Aberrations - too many to mention here

EDIT: Codex: Red Dragons

By the way, Draco Astartes is cool but I like the name Legio Draconum better. Just my $.02.

@Galatan: thank you for the start of your army i can't wait to see the finshed work

@Bahamut: i believe the update should do it at the top of the page^^

@Melechor: thank you for that and if you are going to make one with the dragon thing going then we would love to have you be part of the Draco Astartes

@Aruis: so you thinking of starting an army with a dragon name?. and as for names well here is a list of some that ppl have made this might give you an idea Iron Dragons(Galatan's), Platinum Dragons(Bahamut's), Celestial Dragons, Sanguine Dragons(mine at this time but changing it), Chaos Wyrms, Imperial Drakes, White Wyrms and it just goes on so i hope this helps ok hope to see your army soon

@neosonichdghg: thank you for your info i would love for you to put a link in here to your fluff becuase thats what i'm trying to get here

@ Arius: I'm glad to see you've made some progress so far. The 4th and 26th foundings are quite disparate choices for your Chapter, what attracted you to them? If you plan on using the "Aspire to Glory" Drawback, then the 26th would make sense. A 4th founding chapter would be very old, and would likely have a lot of Elite units, perhaps the "Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients" trait to use Dreads as heavy support units. If you are going with a greek theme, how about the Phalanx Dragons? The link should tell you what you need to know about the Phalanx formation that made the Greeks so successful in combat. The name has stuck around to modern weapons. Since the Sallies' primarch, Vulkan, gets his name and theme from Greek mythology, perhaps that could be a good source of names for your chapter, especially if you go with the 4th founding.

@neosonic: Wow, I've got a lot of reading to do as is! Gonna have to give ya a raincheck here for a few days maybe.

Where is everyone else? I know there are other Draconic chapters here. The Celestial Dragons, Frost Worms, Storm Dragons. Quit lurking guys and jump in!

<No can do, chief. Your links require us to log in to the librarium.>

Correction: Ok good fix. Interesting, not how I had imagined the symbology from your description. It's some clever ideas, but I think that may be very hard to freehand, even if you were painting it at an Inquisitor scale!

Here are the Storm Dragons

Founding - 8th

Geneseed - Ultramarines

Home World - Alatyr

Organisation - There are only 9 companys, there is no 3rd company. They don't have any librarians but do have more chaplains than normal.

Combat Doctrine - Up close and personal

I've still got a lot of work to do on the fluff. I'm working on their history at the moment, and guess who forgot to email the document from my work pc to my home pc so i could work on it over the long weekend :D

Anyway if you want to see what I have got up here so far have a look here.

Hey guys I about to do more fluff and expand on my Crimson Dragons. I was wondering what you guys think about recruits having to slew a beast like a Crimson Dragon. A specie of dragon which is located in the system of my chapter where they recruit and based on. The dragon is twice the height of a space marine. It has long sharp claws and a heavy weighed tail. The dragon is slow and is vurverble on it bottom where no scales are or it head where the scale offer least protection.

The Crimson Dragon recruits must kill one of these and bring back it head to show their skill and determination. The recruits are simple armed with a small axe, bare heads and any their wits. Do you guys think there are to hard to kill and should be tuned to down so the recruits can kill it?

Also on traits for a mid range firefighting then moving up to mop of the few men that live. I been leaning toward Cleanse and Purify and See,but dont be seen. For more special weapon and infiltrating units to help them get close enough to fight mid range. Does then mean my Hq can learn infiltrate at the same point cost as the squad he is with? And can the entire army infiltrate if equip with it?

More info on chapter.

My chapter is based in a system near the Eye of Terror and often fight small skrimishes with the Chaos warbands roving out of the Eye of Terror and several large scale battles.

The Dragonic System contain eight planet with Dragonic IV[4] in the center of the system. Four of the planet are feral producing some ably recruits for the Crimson Dragon, while Dragonic IV is a world with several billion inhabitants. The people of this world live in settlemeants ranging from large to small. There are a few major cities on this world. The Crimson Dragon lived on the highest mountain range on the Dragonic IV Olympia. It from here the watch the system undering vigilate eyes. Dragonic I is a small planet but is worth noting as they are a non feral tribal planet with city states surrounded by farm land this planet is able to make more food then they consume. Another planet worth noting is Dragonic VIII which is a forge world making much of the Crimson Dragon armor, vechiles and weapons. The world on this system offer soldiers in time of need if there system or world is in danger.

Chapter Current Deploymeant

Companies Two, Three, Fifth and the Sixth are current deploy near Eye of Terror fighting roving warbands and saving ship from pirates.

The rest are based in their System. With the Fourth and half of the scout company of the 10th on Dragonic I and the feral worlds helping mainting the balance of peace and killing roving mosters and beasts. The Rest of the Scout company of the 10th are located on the homeworld be honed to perfection by the First Company and reserves.

That all for now :)

First off, I think you should choose another name. We already have a Red Dragons. Crimson is a shade of red, so that would be like naming a chater the Marines Ultra, or the Cosmo Wolves. A little too similar don't ya think?

Having a recruit slay a dragon is fine.....though I think it would make more sense perhaps for the scouts to have to kill one to become a full battle brother? Just a thought. Reptiles have scales all over, though belly scales could be weaker. You should choose one weak spot, though. If the head, and axe could be good for chopping it off. Otherwise, a sword or spear that can be used as a thrusting weapon might be better.

Wow, sounds like you're picking the same traits as me! Lol. Cleanse and purify should work, but remember that of the weapons you can double up on, only the plasma has much range. The infiltrate ability from :see but don't be seen" can only be bought for tactical and devastator squads, so the whole army cannot. Independent characters that join such a unit do not gain the ability, and the whole unit loses it if they do. However, scouts have similar abilities as is, and terminators/jump packed troops may deep strike. If you want your HQ in deep, though, you need a drop pod.

Most of your fluff looks pretty decent so far, though you should do some proof reading and editing. Also, the Dragonic system is a bit cheesy. Try not to overuse the Dragon name.

Thank for you comment.

Some of the changes I will make

1) The scout are armed with their choice of either axe, sword, and spear on the quest to kill a dragon to become a full grown battle-brother.

2) Thanks for the Dragonic name change. Yeah I was thinking of switching it, but some of the fluff was aready written up. I was thinking of naming the worlds after greek words?

3) Since Crimson Dragons are out .. anyone with a some sample names it be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of Frost Drakes, Fire Drakes, Etheral Dragons that all i could think of.

4) Sorry my grammar can be very bad.

Glad you're willing to work on the names. I think with some slight tweaks you could have some very professional fluff. None of us are perfect and spelling an grammar, we just ask that ya try to keep it..."table top" quality, so to speak.

I like the idea of the scouts having options, the "weapon of choice thing fits the variety in the SM arsenal.

Have you come up with anything for their theme besides dragons yet? Having some sort of underlying background fluffiness that helps tie other things together can be a good inspiration for names. Why did you choose dragons, for instance? I have a lot of D&D inspired stuff in my army, so that is a good source of names and ideas.

Fire Drakes are elite Salamanders units, and somone else here is doing a Frost Wyrms chapter already. I have some references, so I'd be happy to help ya pick a name. Are you going to have the name fit the theme, or the theme fit the name, though?

My chapter, the Platinum dragons, are Sallies successor. This of course gives me the whole fire thing, a humanistic streak, and I will be working in the Promethian cult. They believe knowledge, and by extension technology, are the greatest gifts of the emperor. Thus they work to gather knowledge, spread it to other humans, help improve our technology, and to purge the galaxy of xenos that pervert technology they believe was stolen by humans. This gives them close relations to the Adeptus Mechanicus and Ordo Xenos....though both have some bones to pick at times. Some chapters, however, do not like them trying to reform other planets, such as attempting to foster renaissances on various feudal worlds with missionary work. While not humorless, they are very serious in thewir duty, and use stealth, armor, firepower, and strong tactics to quickly overwhelm the enemy.

The names and some of the heraldry come from the Dungeons & Dragons universe. Bahamut, aka. the Platinum Dragon, is the god of the metallic (good-aligned) dragons. This adds sort of a questing knight/paladin like theme to them. They are dragon knights who work to spread the light of the emperor with their flames.

Does that help?

Archived