How do I write background for my DIY Chapter?

Ancient_Galatan

The way I'm doing it is to think up the reasons why my chapter is the way it is.

For example the Storm Dragons don't have any librarians. This is due to one of thier librarians falling to chaos in the past.

It might also help to think about some significant campaings the chapter has fought in and any effects they may have had. Any great heros in the chapters history and what they did to become heros.

Other peoples fluff can also be a good source of ideas, just make sure you change it so that it's not a blatent rip off :)

The best idea for a DIY chapter is to give it a strong theme. My Castigators are religious zealots and bigots. That theme provided the basis for the chapter and gave me inspiration.

Check out GW's Index Astartes articles for an idea of what to write. I find it's easier to grow all the sections at the same time, but others prefer to write one section in its' entirety and then move onto others. Both methods are equally valid.

The best thing to do is to make some notes on each of the sections (Origins, Homeworld, Combat Doctrine, Organisation, Beliefs, Gene-seed) and then write them up properly later.

The best idea for a DIY chapter is to give it a strong theme. My Castigators are religious zealots and bigots. That theme provided the basis for the chapter and gave me inspiration.

hmm I guess that sounds like a good place to start anything I should keep in mind when deciding my Chapter's Theme???

Have a look at SCC's Brazen claws for a good example of what to do

:) the sheer amount and detail of information on the Brazen Claws is astonishing I dont think I could ever hope to think up and write that much info without my brain exploding ::cuss:

Its just a natural progression. You get the Basics and then as more thoughts and skills enter your domain you add to it

right now all I have is the basics, the Chapter name, what Chapter/Primarch their Geneseed is from, and a little about combat doctrine and organisation but when I try to think beyond that my brain starts hurting -_-

right now all I have is the basics, the Chapter name, what Chapter/Primarch their Geneseed is from, and a little about combat doctrine and organisation but when I try to think beyond that my brain starts hurting  -_-

You have to start from somewhere. Write down your basics, then write down where you got your inspiration from. Chances are that the same spot you got your initial inspiration may lead to more inspiration. Don't limit yourself, it may be that you just need to unburden yourself and the ideas will start to flow.

My two coppers,

Belial out.

Well so far my chapter looks like this:

Name: Iron Dragons

Origin of Geneseed: The Iron Hands

Founding: Founded in the 38th Millenium so possibly 23rd/24th founding.

Homeworld: a Deathworld in the Ultima Segmentum/Eastern Fringe (not yet got a name)

Combat Doctrine: possibly heavily mechanised with lots of tanks.

Organisation: so far standard codex organisation but I may change that.

Okay, there's plenty here. -_-

- The Name

Why are they called the Iron Dragons? Is it a reference to Asirnoth, as I posited before? Is it something else? The chapter's first chapter master gets to choose the name, so something would have made him choose the name.

- The Gene-seed

The Iron Hands aren't the most popular of gene-seeds. Why did you choose them?

Has your chapter inherited the Iron Hands' hatred of weakness and hatred of the flesh? Do they have a close link to the Adeptus Mechanicus? Do they hate outsiders like the Iron Hands themselves? Has the chapter also got a non-codex structure? Have the clan-companies carried over to the Iron Dragons?

- The Homeworld

What kind of deathworld? Not all deathworlds are horrible jungle. You could have polar wastes, baking hot deserts, something worse.

- The Founding

Has this (relatively) late founding had any impact on the chapter with regards to equipment?

Homeworld: a Deathworld in the Ultima Segmentum/Eastern Fringe (not yet got a name)

Combat Doctrine

Mechanised - but why? What's caused this?

I've asked you lots of questions. Please, please don't just say "I don't know". That stops things dead and you go nowhere. If something is difficult to answer, give it some thought. The more effort you put in, the more it will show.

The Name

Why are they called the Iron Dragons? Is it a reference to Asirnoth, as I posited before? Is it something else? The chapter's first chapter master gets to choose the name, so something would have made him choose the name.

- The Gene-seed

The Iron Hands aren't the most popular of gene-seeds. Why did you choose them?

Has your chapter inherited the Iron Hands' hatred of weakness and hatred of the flesh? Do they have a close link to the Adeptus Mechanicus? Do they hate outsiders like the Iron Hands themselves? Has the chapter also got a non-codex structure? Have the clan-companies carried over to the Iron Dragons?

- The Homeworld

What kind of deathworld? Not all deathworlds are horrible jungle. You could have polar wastes, baking hot deserts, something worse.

- The Founding

Has this (relatively) late founding had any impact on the chapter with regards to equipment?

Combat Doctrine

Mechanised - but why? What's caused this?

I've asked you lots of questions. Please, please don't just say "I don't know". That stops things dead and you go nowhere. If something is difficult to answer, give it some thought. The more effort you put in, the more it will show.

your asking some real tough questions most of my choices were just based on what sounded good I really havent put any deep thought into things for fear my brain might start leaking out of my ears :rolleyes:

I'll have some thoughts about why they have the name but the reason I gave them their Geneseed as being from the Iron Hands is because it logically seemed to fit the chapter name as for the rest of it i'd have to think more before i can come up with any answers but for right now my brain is overloaded.

There is no shame in playing one of the established Games Workshop chapters like the Ultramarines, Dark Angels or even the Iron Hands until you get a feel for the marine chapter you want. :rolleyes:

Think of it as a rehearsal, and then when you have got the ideas of what you want and why straight, you can do it properly with the DIY chapter. ^_^

simple reasons why I want to do my own chapter is I feel like doing my own thing rather than sticking with what has already been established by Games Workshop and another thing I HATE :rolleyes: the Iron Hands Colour Scheme and any other colour scheme that involves covering nearly the entire model in black it seems lazy and stupid to me.

Okay, a decent start. Now, why the Iron Dragons? Do you like the name? Perhaps something to do with the dragon theme could be injected into the chapter. I preponderance of flamer weapons or the like. It's just an option.

Perhaps it might be better if you do it one section at a time. Perhaps start with the homeworld. You said a deathworld. Deathworlds are good - the stronger and more resilient the population, they better they are for recruitment into the chapter.

But as I said before - what kind of deathworld are you after? Frozen arctic wastes? Hot steaming jungles? Desert?

Okay, a decent start. Now, why the Iron Dragons? Do you like the name? Perhaps something to do with the dragon theme could be injected into the chapter. I preponderance of flamer weapons or the like. It's just an option.

Perhaps it might be better if you do it one section at a time. Perhaps start with the homeworld. You said a deathworld. Deathworlds are good - the stronger and more resilient the population, they better they are for recruitment into the chapter.

But as I said before - what kind of deathworld are you after? Frozen arctic wastes? Hot steaming jungles? Desert?

well 2 main reasons for the name 1) Dragons are my favourite Mythical Creature big mean fire breathing monsters just sound awesome :rolleyes: 2) the word Iron conjours up a mental image of strength/toughness suitable for a large group of tough as nails super humans wouldn't you say???

as far as the Homeworld goes I was thinking maybe a scorching desert world.

Okay, an inhospitable desert world sounds good. Inhabitants would have to be hardy people. Perhaps nomadic tribesmen similar to the bedouin.

It could also link into why your chapter's developed in a heavily mechanised fashion.

Inspiration #1

Inspiration #2

Inspiration #3

So, do your marines live on the world? Do they live with the tribes, or are they seperate from them? Do they live in orbit? Are the tribespeople advanced enough to know that they're space marines, or are the Iron Dragons revered as some sort of sand-spirit?

You just have to let your imagination go.

Okay, an inhospitable desert world sounds good. Inhabitants would have to be hardy people. Perhaps nomadic tribesmen similar to the bedouin.

It could also link into why your chapter's developed in a heavily mechanised fashion.

Inspiration #1

Inspiration #2

Inspiration #3

So, do your marines live on the world? Do they live with the tribes, or are they seperate from them? Do they live in orbit? Are the tribespeople advanced enough to know that they're space marines, or are the Iron Dragons revered as some sort of sand-spirit?

You just have to let your imagination go.

right hmm I think my Marines will live on the world, living seperate from the tribespeople. As for the tribespeople they are fairly primitive and believing the Iron Dragons to be spirits certainly sounds reasonable.

Well, there you go - you have a start. Do the marines have a base on some huge mountain? Underground? An area of the planet the tribesmen don't usually travel to for fear of the spirits?

You've now got a start on the Homeworld and Combat Doctrine sections. There's plenty of others - Beliefs, Gene-seed, Origin and Organisation. Pick one and see if you can get started on it. This needs to be your chapter, so take the time to think - even if your brain's going to run out your ears. :rolleyes:

Archived