Which geneseed does your DIY use?

Aurelius Rex

Which geneseed does your DIY use?  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With all this recent discussion about geneseed I thought it would be interesting to see which geneseeds are most commonly used for DIY chapters. Because the poll is limited to 10 slots, I have just gone with the 9 loyal legions and another option of 'other'...

Supposedly the Guilliman/Ultramarine geneseed has been used to create 2/3 of the chapters, but will this be reflected in this poll? B)

I say to this post... lawl.

You see, there are conflicts. Let me explain. Now, I will not pretend to be an expert on SM fluff. I am not.

One nice evening, while discussing ideas for a Chapter of my own, a person who hsall remain anonymous suggested that I should use spliced Gene-Seed, since the Chapters I wanted rarely produced successors. So I built on that. And that failed. So then this same man says I should probably just go with Ultramarines or Imperial Fists, all the while suggestions here have been supporting Salamanders and Blood Angels. B)

I'm about ready to pull a Blood Ravens here, folks.

My own chapter (Warp Jackals) are about 7 thousand years old, give or take, and considering how much we know about 5000BC-culture now I think it would be quite likely that details like primogenitors and such are forgotten :rolleyes:

Based on this should Space Wolf be on this poll? Even though it's too late :rolleyes:

Ah, but Race, you and I both know that the fact that even though the fluff says the Russ geneseed is never used, that doesn't stop anybody :rolleyes:

Bah purists! I burnt all my records to avoid being pigeonholed. Plus it saves answering a whole lotta' questions to the inquisition.

:lol:

I recon it will be a win to the Imperial Fists or the Ultra's simply as their geneseeds are reasonably pure compaired with the others. Its like working with a blank slate

As loyal Brothers of the Astartes I am sure we can keep this civil and not resort to namecalling.

There will however be a healthy outlet for this kind of inter-legionnary rivalry, in the form of the Third Primarch Challenge Fluff Quiz... ETA next Sunday. :lol:

That is the only fair way to prove which the 'best' primarch is. B)

Guilliman here, just to prove that Ultramarine successors can fall and they can be intresting. I would say Dorn will win just because of what Molotov said.

That is the only fair way to prove which the 'best' primarch is.

Have we managed to gather Brother Argos' gene-seed yet? :lol:

Ferrata

So nobody likes playing vanillia Dark Angels then who'd thunk it.(ME) I don't see why the fists gene seed is so pure they are missing the use of two of the implants and yes the implant's don't make a chapter but putting the fists up there whith the smurf as poster boys when the sallies and D.A are perfect ticks me off.

It'll be the Imperial Fists. Everyone that wants a clean gene-seed but doesn't want to be a 'stereotype' or 'hates the Smurfs' ^_^ so picks Imperial Fists. Thus Imperial Fist gene-seed actually becomes the stereotype. :rolleyes:
What I've found is that nobody takes Ultramarines because everyone does. Logical? :wacko:

Of course, some people do have rational reasons for utilising the IF geneseed -

Our very own moderator, Mr. Aurelius Rex, chose Dorn geneseed because the Crimson Fists are his favourite official chapter, and thus he wanted his own DIY to be their successors. Of course, the fact he named them the Scions of Dorn would have made it a little odd had he used White Scar gene-seed :wacko:

I chose to use the Dorn geneseed for similar (if slightly more complicated!) reasons: My DIY, the Grief Bringers was inspired by the short story Warped Stars, by Ian Watson. In it, no mention is made of the ancestry of the chapter, which left me an open choice of gene-seed. The obvious choice was the Vulkan gene-seed, as I've played Salamanders for 17 years, however, I chose the route of the Imperial Fists, for three simple reasons.

First, the seminal novel Space Marine, also penned by Mr Watson, was (and still is) a massive influence on me, both in terms of my own writing and my perspective on Space Marines. It seemed only fitting therefore, that since I was using Watson's creation for my DIY, that I pay homage by using the only other chapter he wrote about as my chapter's forebears.

Second, I've always wanted an IF army, but have neither the skill nor the patience to learn how to paint yellow properly, so this was the closest I could get ^_^

Third, Rogal Dorn has always been my favourite of the Primarchs. A true, noble warrior, who for some reason (*cough*Pete Haines*cough* :rolleyes: ) seems to have been portrayed badly (and undeservedly so) in a lot of GW's fluff.

So, short version: not everyone takes the Dorn geneseed just because they're "avoiding a stereotype" or "not taking the UM because everyone else does". Some of us have actual, proper reasons for it ;)

Since I do not know the progenator gene-seed for the Celestial Lions, and since my DIY chapter is descended from the Celestial Lions, I voted for Ultramarines gene stock, since it is so prevalently used.

Rymeer

Now, if someone can point me to 'fluff' that states the true gene-seed of the Celestial Lions, I'd be thankful.

Archived