Terminator Kill-Team -WIP

So I changed my assembly approach and painted the beneath-the-floor bits prior to assembly. They turned out a little dark though. Even after over highlighting it still came out darker than I wanted. I put him on some white paper for contrast:

http://webpages.charter.net/paulboulet/WIP/06-Terminator1BaseDetail.jpg

I could move toward the lighter shaded metallics but I never envisioned the inside of a space hulk to look show-room new.

Need to work on that maybe.

I also got some paint on my first marine:

http://webpages.charter.net/paulboulet/WIP/06-Terminator1-1.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/paulboulet/WIP/06-Terminator1-2.jpg

-OMG

I like the idea - the paint scheme, the bases, etc..

Constructive Criticism - You've obviously painted these very well, and are an accomplished painter. My criticism - don't black-line red. The models look great, but I just don't think red looks good black-lined; I think it makes red look "dirty" or something.

In terms of painting red without black-lining but still making it look good, try checking out Commander Y's Blood Ravens gallery if you haven't done so already. He even gives a recipie for it on his site:

Commander Y's painting recipies

I'm not saying you have to go out and buy all of the paints he uses, I'm just giving you his example of how someone shades red without black-lining.

And since you have one-half of the termi red and the other half white, I'd forego black-lining the white side in this case too. I'd use something like Spacewolves Grey and Shadow Grey to do blended shading on the white side.

If you do any of this, I realize that I've created a bunch more work for you, and it's up to you whether or not you want to take it in this direction. Personally, I think you're a good enough mini painter that you're ready to push it to the next step...

Just my two-cents worth. No biggie if you don't want to do this.

Keep painting! :(

OMG, a quick question about how you paint your red.

To me, it looks like blood red, possibly with a red ink wash (pretty thin) on it, with Brown or Fleshwash ink in the cracks. Is this correct? It looks very similar to what I used to do.

And about the bases - They really look ace, but I can see the problem you'll have with the metal parts underneath the grating. If you paint them in very bright metallics, they'll pop out but might look unnatural for Space Hulk. And if you paint them as dirty, weathered metals, they might not be very visible.

It may be too late for this, or you may not feel like it, but what about replacing the grids with a wider type of gridding? Larger, wider squares would allow you to see the detail underneath, while still being able to have them painted as you like.

To me, it looks like blood red, possibly with a red ink wash (pretty thin) on it, with Brown or Fleshwash ink in the cracks. Is this correct? It looks very similar to what I used to do.

It may be too late for this, or you may not feel like it, but what about replacing the grids with a wider type of gridding? Larger, wider squares would allow you to see the detail underneath, while still being able to have them painted as you like.

Yes, you

OMG,

Are you doing these to be in a compition? Or just to make a really cool squad?

If those bases were mine, I would first paint them very bright metalics(im talking about the underside tubbing and stuff, just to be clear), then place a mini ontop and check the coloration in a well lit room or outside. If they are to bright. I would then give them a thin black or other sutable dark wash (depending on the colors You are using). The repete placing a mini and checking in good light. Repete this process untill you come to your perfect color.

This might save you a bit of time.

I think they are looking really great, I also like your Terminator.

Good Luck!

Archived