Converted Chaos terminators

retlaw83

I recently bought a box of loyalist terminators so I could turn them into orks with mega armor. While blue-tacking, I realized regular power armor legs and terminator torsos mimic the ork body structure very well.

This left me with terminator legs and regular chests. Holding the two bits together, I realized that the part of a terminator suit that holds the marine's chest is just as big as that on regular power armor. So, I set to work getting the maximum amount of worth out of my model kits.

I have constructed some Chaos terminators using terminator legs, arms, heads, and shoulderpads and regular torsos capped off with a regular shoulderpad in order to mimic the "hood" on terminator armor. I then embellished them with chaos and ork bits.

As the models currently stand, they look like lean, stream-lined suits of terminator armor and I could get away with dismissing them as a different pattern of the armor. I am also going to be getting another box of loyalist terminators and assembling them properly. The list all 18 of my terminators appear in (including 2 commanders) will have my converted terminators, normally-built loyalist suits and regular Chaos terminator suits mixed and matched in their squads. (the list I'm using them all in can be found here). I figure that will make them fit in with the crowd.

Here are pictures of two of the termies. I'm wondering what you guys think, and if you think I should add the "back deck" thing found on regular termie armor, feel free to suggest ways to do it.

Termie 1 front:

med_gallery_17418_543_240047.jpg

Termie 1 back:

med_gallery_17418_543_127081.jpg

Termie 2 front:

med_gallery_17418_543_227492.jpg

Termie 2 back:

med_gallery_17418_543_319672.jpg

You'll notice that I put a dirge caster on the back of the second terminator. I think it improves the look and finishes of the armor nicely, but I'd like to hear what other people think.

That's very nice work and a good idea. I have to agree on the hoods though, they look like shoulder pads. If you can build up something different (the idea given with card and GS is good), they will be pretty sweet.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm digging up plasticard for the job.

For the model with the dirge cast on his back, should I build a structure between it and the shoulder pad or remove it and build a regular structure?

This looks like the start of summin' real good, you just have to work more on it.

- Storm bolter into combi bolter

- fix the shoulder pad by making it look less like a hood and more like the hulking 'neck' like on a regular termie with green stuff

- remove any and all imperial iconography, or defile them in an appropriate manner. ;)

- if you're gonna use a marine torso(which makes it look more natural and just better IMO), why not a CSM one instead?

- the 'uge chaos star on his chest is sticking out on each side instead of following the shape of his armour.

- the ork shoulder pad looks like it has just been slapped on by an ork and just got jammed in between his armour plates. Try and make it look like a part of the armour, cause spikes are always a good thing.

- the deamonic speaker thingy looks great, but I imagine a great big gap in between the armour and that bit. Move it higher up, make room for it and GS it to intregrate it with the torso, and it should be big enough to make that 'neck' I previously mentioned.

Less important ideas:

- tusks coming out where those tube thingies at his cheeks are

- chains?

- spikes at the top of the 'neck'(if you make one)

- some obliterator looking muscle like mutations coming from in between the armour links?

- pointy fingers for the power fist

- erm.. well... I'm out.

If you do still like the original look of the squarish termi armour, you could get some flat plates to stick to the side and to, to make the boxed termi design. There are quite a number of threads that show bulking up of termis and a lot of them use power armour as a base, namely the mark 8s, cuz of the collars. A famous example would prollie be Sinears' website. Doesn't hurt to go reference it.

rabblerouser: Hey... as cute as the smiley is, it'll be nice to actually say something constructive yar? Afterall it's a WIP and not a contest on how pretty stuff can be. This thread actually has some nice ideas. It's not that retlaw83 didnt try... he just needs a bit of work on his models. As a vet, it'll be great to hear some constructive comments. Mmmm... an image of thumper comes to mind... :D :)

This looks like the start of summin' real good, you just have to work more on it.

(a bunch of good suggestions follow)

Thanks for the ideas. 3 combi bolters won't be hard to make (one of the five is already holding a vehicle accessory sprue one, and another has a metal chaos termi arm). With a little creative cutting and sculpting, I might be able to make some of the fists pointy, but that's a big maybe.

@ madscuzzy: Thanks for the link! My French is a little rusty (in that it's non-existent) but I was able to fumble my way around until I found the terminators. I'm guessing his goal was to make true-scale terminators?

Chaos Termies need tusks! I might have converted them using bitz-ordered Chaos termie heads, or possibly gluing plastic Chaos marine horns to the SM termie head.

I may use spikes as tusks on the three models that have regular terminator heads. Two of the models have the daemon-head gun barrels from the vehicle accessory sprue as their helmets, so I don't think they need anything extra to look sinister. :P

Using clear plasticard (it was the only kind I could find), Testor's countour putty (great stuff) and bits, I did this to the dirge caster terminator.

med_gallery_17418_543_3661.jpg

med_gallery_17418_543_284376.jpg

med_gallery_17418_543_185565.jpg

med_gallery_17418_543_24300.jpg

Keep in mind the putty won't look so sloppy once it dries; I have to wait for it and the glue to dry before I can sand it.

I liked the dirge caster Terminator, it solved the problem of the flat back quite welll, but I fear that with the addition of the plasticard and spikes you have a really top heavy tower effect. He doesn't look as menacing anymore. Maybe if the shoulderpads didn't look so small compared to the back it could help.

Yea, I agree. If you look at the shoulder pad hood, you see that there is a big space between his head and the top of the pad. Maybe if you cut a small slice off the pad it will lower the tower neck. And then, to make it even lower, don't have so much putty above the pad, limit it to just over it and go from there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/patsy02/TermieBOB.jpg

Can I add some advise, you want chaos plastic terminators, order the marine terminator spue and use the back portion and add the chaos torso fronts with the it.... green stuff the other trim on the terminator legs.

they two torso's do fit each other.

Thanks for all the feedback. I reduced the size of the shoulder pad, and made the back deck slope. How's this grab anybody? The putty still needs smoothed, but it needs to dry first.

med_gallery_17418_543_398874.jpg

med_gallery_17418_543_76212.jpg

med_gallery_17418_543_106882.jpg

EDIT: @Patsy: Only now did I actually read the words on the diagram you made. lol

just move the arms up, and it will look great I think. It will be more to scale and porpotional I would think.

-Centum

Thanks for pointing that out! I raised the arms.

Archived