Crimson Fists

Some nice work so far, in particular I like the way the librarian is shaping up, the GS parchment on the shoulder looks well and the iron halo looks quite nice with that mini too. I've always liked the Ezekiel mini as a librarian.

The stylised eagle looks nice but I think you should try to incorporate some more Fist iconography in with it somehow. I'm not really a fan of the design for the trim, it looks more eldar than marines to me since I've always imagined marines to go for designs with more of a Greek or Roman feel rather than the "tribal" designs of the modern age.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dante

Some nice work so far, in particular I like the way the librarian is shaping up, the GS parchment on the shoulder looks well and the iron halo looks quite nice with that mini too. I've always liked the Ezekiel mini as a librarian.

The stylised eagle looks nice but I think you should try to incorporate some more Fist iconography in with it somehow. I'm not really a fan of the design for the trim, it looks more eldar than marines to me since I've always imagined marines to go for designs with more of a Greek or Roman feel rather than the "tribal" designs of the modern age.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Dante

***my only problem with incorporating more fist designs is that my army is plain i see fists as plain not very much imagery detail etc, but a librarian to me is very detailed, which is why i wanted to add trim, of course i wanted a more gothic feel as when you look at the model he has all the sharp points, the robe, the dark feel to it, i just am not good at creating little border designs, i can see what you mean now about eldar-ish...++++maybe i will just go for the daemonhunters codex cover trim(the gold on the reed cloak thingy i think would work no?)<------ wont work...its embroidery not trim..+++ or maybe ill look around a bit more

hmm im trying to think of fist like iconography that would work well...

Starks

A little search for "Greek Pattern" on google produced this:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/853409/2/istockphoto_853409_patterns.jpg

A number of nice and simple patterns with a very "Imperial Military" feel to them.

Cheers,

Dante

i decided on a trim its essentially a triangle with one point touching down on a line, i figured the pointyness kept with the style of the model, and the simplicity kept with the imperium style

i also decided against the eagle for now and have done the giant fist(the fingers actually end up on the hood) red trim and fist on purple robe(the fist has to be red so..not much choice)

im unsure of what colours to use on the halo, the face mask thingy, the sword and the books

im thinking silver for the halo and face mask thingy, a bright scorpion green for the sword(because the armour is blue the robe is purple and the fist stuff is red not leaving much choice) and no idea for the books :P

hoses im unsure as well, its hard working with blue/red/purple colour scheme and trying to do the details with over burdening the model or using a colour that steals from the darkness of it

any ideas?

Starks

I like how they're shaping up. I've liked the imagery you've been painting but for some reason your dreads are... interesting the first one with the squad really looks as if he's falling over... I dunno if you intended this but its really at a painful angle, almost like he's looking up while falling down.. and not really too graceful..

Other then that I love them, they really do look good.. Go wild on the sculpting tho, give your army a unique flare

I like how they're shaping up. I've liked the imagery you've been painting but for some reason your dreads are... interesting the first one with the squad really looks as if he's falling over... I dunno if you intended this but its really at a painful angle, almost like he's looking up while falling down.. and not really too graceful..

Other then that I love them, they really do look good.. Go wild on the sculpting tho, give your army a unique flare

***thanks, about the dread--> Dread

check that one out for a better angle, and Duel

that one for the other half of the position...if youve played dawn of war just think about how the dreadnought moves in that

as to sculpting, theres only been a few instances for sculpting mostly minor stuff as i want them really plain looking but worn and torn, because thats how i see them, dont dont worry im pretty creative when it comes to more unique simple conversions :unsure:

hopefully ill have updates with some actual completed models in the near future, the librarian will probably be the first of those, now i just need to get the home made lightbox, light sources and camera to be friendly for once!

Starks

just an example shot of the fist on his back

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0899.jpg

do you like how it goes all the way up his back? it is a bit hard to see, but usually a folded picture is...

the trim around the edges will have triangle type designs added i havent gotten around to that yet

Starks

got the FW vindicator, built it last night, and now im curious if i should wait to install custom reinforced armour to make it look sweet, or to leave it off? what do you think?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0905.jpg

and in case you need a refresher as to what the armour looks like, either the page before in this thread or this link: Reinforced Armour

***so not much to update other than that, i had family over so not much time :P

Starks

I like the way the cape is shaping up on the librarian. It's a little hard to make out its a fist at first glance but I don't think that can be helped due to the shape of the cloak itself.

As for the vindicator, I've always preferred them when they have the extra armour on :P.

I like the way the cape is shaping up on the librarian. It's a little hard to make out its a fist at first glance but I don't think that can be helped due to the shape of the cloak itself.

As for the vindicator, I've always preferred them when they have the extra armour on :P.

***ya i was trying to get the flow of the robe properly, its going to be mostly covered byt the back pack and halo anyways but i thought it was a nice added detail for those who look closely, also it kept things simple, i might add some details to the fist like fancy trim, or some detailing like the forgeworld icons

ok extra armour it is, now i just need the right thickness of plasticard! ;)

***this is the army list im currently going to work towards, just need to get the second plasma off my friend as i have only a single plasma gun in my stock!

1700pts Crimson Fists

HQ (395pts)

Codicier - 142pts

Fear of the Darkness, Iron Halo, Familiar, Bolt Pistol, Frags

9 Marines- 253pts

Vet Sarge w Power Fist, 2 Meltas

Rhino w Smoke, Extra Armour

ELITES (140pts)

Dreadnought- 140pts

TL Lascannon, Missile Launcher, Extra Armour

TROOPS (506pts)

10 Marines- 253pts

Heavy Bolter, Plasma, Vet Sarge w Power Fist

10 Marines- 253pts

Heavy Bolter, Plasma, Vet Sarge w Power Fist

FAST ATTACK (230pts)

1 Land Speeder Tornado- 80pts

Heavy Bolter, Assault Cannon

2 Land Speeder Tornados- 150pts

Heavy Flamer, Multi Melta

HEAVY SUPPORT (434pts)

Predator Annihilator- 138pts

TL Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, Smoke, Extra Armour

Predator Annihilator- 138pts

TL Lascannon, Heavy Bolters, Smoke, Extra Armour

Vindicator- 163pts

Power of the Machine Spirit, Smoke, Dozer Blade

Total: 1700pts

Models: 30

Vehicles: 10

***of course i still need the second predator for this list :P

Starks

Very nice work so far Starks.

I have a question regarding the Vindicator.

I'm buying one for my Ultramarines soon, and I just wanted to know it the kit goes together well and if the resin were very warped.

I've had some bad experience with bigger FW-kits with alot of "straight" surfaces and angles.

Well I helped him put it together and the only peice that was warped was the top part, its the one that is a different colour then the rest of the vindicator. It was off by a mm or two not a big deal and slightly bent but force and glue fixed that.

yes as Morefsto said, also id like to mention everything i bought came in great shape, very little damage or even mould lines, ive spent more time cleaning a marine than i did the FW stuff, some parts will need a layer of smoothening just because it was difficult to clean but thats about it

the top was slightly warped but not too bad as mentioned glue held it down and i just shaved a bit off the bottom(which you obviously cant see) in order for it to fit on nicely

so it was definetly worth it, especially when i add my custom reinforced armour ;)

Starks

just an update of my work on the dreadnought, im trying to devise a way to get more leg armour on it!

i will fix the right plate its too thin right now, i will also add details to them later, they arent attached just kinda stuck on, i will add spacer plates to the torso to heighten it more to the look of my other dreadnought(which i need to add spacers to)

anyways:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0914.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0915.jpg

**oh and the GS dhas been smoothed a bit more, the black flakes of paint kinda mixed in and make it looks a bit rougher...i still havent learned, i always GS AFTER painting...*shakes head* one day i will learn

Starks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry I don't have time to read all this thread and comment on everything, but with regards to your specific PM; "How would I place light on Ezekiel's sword to simulate the effect on my Lustwing Terminators I used my terrifyingly basic skills with paintbrush and came up with a map;

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Boltman78/HPIM0895.jpg

Note that to make a glinting effect on a red sword, you should avoid bright lines that lean towards orange and yellows, as it gives the impression of heat, and you're looking for metalling/funky glinting. Mix elf flesh starting from red gore, add a touch of yellow if you can, so it doesn't look too pinkish. The trick is if your color is neither orange neither pink, then you're right in the middle and right where you need your color to be. Simply brighten that color with some white and use a very fine, almost pure white line in the middle of where an "arc" crosses over the half surface of the sword.

On the edge behind him, hilight in reverse from what I showed on the picture, because it is tilted slightly towards the light. The backside of the sword should have the same jumping arcs, only tilted opposite. If the sword were see-through, you would see the surpeposed arcs making a "X". Now keep in mind that this effect is in no way realistic, it's not supposed to trepresent actual metal, just an effect I liked, halway between metallic glare and gemstone, see-through properties. So mario, don't jump in me to claim it's not realistic ^_^ :unsure:

Hope that helps!

Boltman

Just a quick update cant see much of blending on sword, i havent begun on the robe really, just laying down some basic colours for the most part to giv eme an idea, i think im going to keep black as a mainstay along with metallics(halo)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0939.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0931.jpg

ill just leave it at that for now, gotta go to work!

Starks

looking alll the way back to my tactical marines, what do you think about the chest eagles? should i instead go from darker beige to brighter beige with a glint of white? and blend it? keeping in mind the armour and everything else is getting blended...the only reason i went kommando/bleached/skull was to save time on assembly, as i had to paint the eagle before attaching the other arm, but since im now putting off completion of the project for longer(as i bought FW stuff and now want extra armour on everything using plasticard)

also the mud and dirtying dont seem to be doing it for me on my test model, i mean its not bad...

hmmm maybe ill just change up the eagle...add more depth

anyways i finished the halo on the Libby, the sword received more highlights but my batteries are dead so no photos today

i suppose i can work on the familiar a bit...i need to GS a small piece and then he should be ready to paint

as to the dreadnought, im still unsure how i should connect the hip plates, Morfesto suggested chains, but im unsure where to connect those! im also considering sculpting a big fist on the head instead of re-attaching the sarcophogus plate, however it might change the look of the Iron Gob...

hmm anyways, just a little word update, as i mentioned the camera is lacking batteries :)

+++edit+++

just finished GS touch ups on the familiar(its Azraels little guy with helmet minus the wings, its actually for another librarian conversion i have on hold temporarily) and also touch ups on a Squad Sarge added in plasticard/GS neck protector, actually i need to shave off some of the plasticard doesnt meet level with the GS!

Starks

Batteries charged and more pictures, it looks like i didint do much so ill list what i did do

darker purple, finished metals that are on the model so far, added more highlights to sword, finished face, did trim detail and added one highlight to it so far

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0947.jpg

and this is just showing the little GS work i did on the Familiar and the sarge, basicly just clean up to make em painting worthy, and it also shows the face done, of course you cant see the highlights, becase the face is so small

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0950.jpg

so i think im going to paint a bit on the familiar get him a going, but it wont be the same theme of trim on the robe as the familiar is as mentioned for another librarian model i have, im just putting him with this one because i need the familiar in game <_< and the other libby needs hacking first(i really need a jewellers saw or something..)

oh and i havent decided on bases yet...i like that new urban base pack it looks pretty wicked, and i am an armoured company essentially...

+++edit+++

heres the familiar in base colours, the little rope will be red, the trim will be beige with writing, i needed to add some colours to break up the blue/purple

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM0956.jpg

**im thinking going with gold for the lion on the helmet

Starks

ive decided to change up the chest eagles a bit, using the same idea except im going to tone down the white a bit to a bone/white mix... to make assembly a bit faster im going to only use the bright highlight on the edges seen after assembly(which works for lighting as well) it will be a smoother blend/transition between shades...so 5 blends instead of 3, quick easy, but better looking, which is good for tabletop!

pics to follow as im working on them right now, i may also be picking up that second predator today...its annoying not having a second...

and yes i bet you are sick of my WIP work in progress pictures...but i figured hey, you get to see how long it takes me, see a lot of the work, and if not, suck it up, they wil be done eventually :lol:, im breaking from the libby simply to get more models on the table as i have a game tonight

the vehicles wont be painted(other than maybe that one rhino) for awhile because i need plasticard to convert the reinforced armour on everything, makes no sense to paint them just to cover it up anyways so...if anyone has a good thickness to use for the armour, please let me know

Starks

im still curious as to how the sword will shape up, as im using Boltmans method for it, i still have ooohhhh about 100 blends left hahaha and as i often do ill probably need to cover more area with my darker blends, i have a problem with not covering the right enough area when i start....

oh ya i also need to teach myself the cracked stone effect, the book cover is getting that done, with(if i can do it) an inscribed word on the plate over the fist, no idea what colours the hoses will be on his head, they may end up being black

thanks!

+++edit+++

so i got the second predator, and 2 more robed marines, which completes the libbys retinue, and completes the 1700pt list,i spent the day gettin models together and the pred ready for the game tonight, so i never finished the eagles to take pics!

Starks

• 5 months later...

well it has been ages since an update, and well theres not much work ive done, but theres still a bunch of news, and at least one picture for your enjoyment

Heres the Libby with a fresh take, Im also going to redo his command squad in white primer, and their land raider as well...i figure the brighter blue will stand out enough and look like its the librarium blue

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2786.jpg

This is the result of a basing party, sadly Im retarded and didnt base them BEFORE priming(which was done months and months ago) but whatever, just adds a bit more work, its done...(PS there have been more models done since, theres a total of i thin 150ish models in the pic)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/HPIM1623.jpg

And some plans:

-I now have plasticard to do the extra armour add ons i need to build

-I have the bodies to create a motion filled combat squad(veterans/command squad)

-I now have acces to the jewellers saw I needed to cnvert my other librarian

-And I have a neat conversion planned for an extra model, found hacked up bitz lying around so :P

-I may consider re-priming part of the army white...my explanation for brighter colours will be new recruits, not as much battle damage or weathering either

I have a ton of models to work on outside of this army, and so I might not update very often, but I should make a few now and then

Starks

heres some more of the libby, just a quick job as hes for my army, i would like to get my blending smoother while being quick, but im still not used to such thin layers and shading, and im impatient so...

anyways here he is with brighter blue armour, i did it in about 30mins or so while waiting for my armature and a base to dry

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2792.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2793.jpg

Starks

• 1 month later...

i got tired of working on other minis, and i wanted to get some practice sculpting in so i broke out my marines :P

i have mostly done planning, so sticky tack and such, but theres a bit of sculpting going on

+++i want my crimson fists to have a less codex feel and have a more desperation feel to them, they are low on troops, and supplies, they use what they can, and they fight orks, like an ork, with rage and ferociousness...i tried to use a bunch of torsos(SW and BT and chaos) to get a bit of extra armouring to them because this is THE command squad(i have 3 in total)

so anyways heres a guy wielding two chainswords charging forward, and the company champ who will be wielding the sword with two hands with the shield attached to his forearm

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2947.jpg

++++this shot shows 6 members of the command squad(the two in the background with sculpting are the final two for the libbies squad) im debating hacking up the more stationary posed models and giving them more action as i have three guys charging forwards, plus another two on the way

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2949.jpg

++++The bitz that will create my vet sarge with thunder hammer, and my company captain or chapter master also with thunder hammer, obviously excluding some...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2950.jpg

+++after a learning session with greenstuff and me not knowing how much to sculpt at once, i cleaned off the GS and used it as a base for the miliput/GS mix, im debating some folds i had to work with, but they should look more proper when done obviously, both will be wielding melta guns...++++scratch that, they will get plasma guns, i will use meltas elsewhere

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2951.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/Starks3333/Crimson%20Fists/100_2952.jpg

i should have more done soon, i also plan to start the reinforced armour on my vehicles, and plan on putting a land raider together

Starks

Archived