UK Simple Green Equivalent?

Anyone know of a UK equivalent to Simple Green?

I heard good things about Dettol from Searchy, but that didn't seem to work too well (I soaked a test marine in Dettol for ~15 hours (overnight and while at work), and even after much, much scrubbing he's still not stripped enough to be re-primed...).

If any other UKers can add insight, that would be good. I did Searchy it, but the only non-American-only answer I could get was Dettol (which, as I said, I was less than impressed with).

Mr Muscle oven cleaner - the foam one, if you can stand the fumes (wear a mask of some kind). Put mini's in a plastic freezer bag, coat them in a healthy measure of this stuff, seal the bag and leave over night.

In the morning, empty the bag (wear gloves at all times), rinse under the cold tap, leave to air-dry et voila!

It will melt superglue like a blowtorch, though.

Please, Please try break fluid on your miniatures!

It has to be the cheapest most readily available product on the market, I've had nothing but success with both plastic and metal miniatures.

Make sure you use rubber gloves and try an 8 hour test soak in a glass jar.

Break Fluid is great for stripping Minis, but the vapour is also great for stripping your lungs :(

Also Its illegal to pour down a Drain (at least in the uk) so you have disposal issues.

The fact that Dettol is non-toxic has the tick in my box. I used it on plastics and metals, some scum residue, nothing that can't be cleaned off easily enough...Sure beats using it on my cuts and scrapes when I was a kid :ph34r:

Just Given Fairy Power Spray a test, this stuff works great. Its better at stripping then simple green and costs less if your in the UK. Its not quite as nice for the enviroment though :blink:

I just gave Dettol a shot...

... it now looks like I've dipped my mini in tar. And it's clogged my brush up too, so scrubbing now just moves the tar around a bit...

What did I do wrong?

The plastic is fine, but (from what I can gather) the basecoat has turned into some yucky, sticky substance. Do I leave it in the Dettol for longer, or what?

Edit: As for superglue, it seems to weaken it a bit (my Test Mini's head came off (and went down the plughole :blink:), and the join between the torso and legs also came apart. But there's no evidence to suggest that that was the Dettol's fault rather than the toothbrush's).

Dettol weakens the superglue, and yes - there is sticky residue mainly from the odd spray paint. In order to get round this, preapre a fresh "rinse" of Dettol. Use a toothpick or tissue paper to remove the majority of the paint, then use the dettol rinse with an old toothbrush to clean the model, comes out oretty well. I'd recommend that you use jars rather than the sink, so you don't lose bits

I'm guessing you spray it on and then leave the mini's for a time, yes? How long exactly 'cos this sounds interesting....

Seams to start working after about 30 seconds, I left it in a sandwich bag for an hour and then scrubbed. You end up with a paint covered slime all over the mini which simply washes off. Im going to try some more tests on this with resin and Greenstuff and work out the timings.

Btw I was testing it on a plastic mini.

Hi

I have whole tubs of minis i strip paint from - i think i have 4 tubs at the moment of mini bits im stripping paint from

I used to use flash floor cleaner - smells good :P - does not work good unfortunately

Dettol is the stuff i use - works an absolute treat for me

But i use the version which is liquid in a bottle not a spray

Costs

Yeah, I've found that putting them in Dettol for 12hrs, then scrubbing with warm soapy water, then back into Dettol seems to work.

After the first Dettol dip, he was covered in yucky stuff (see earlier posts), but after a cleanup and a second Dettol dip he's good as new.

Will still try Fairy Power Spray though, I'm intruiged.

Right, little update..

Fairy powerspray is great on GW paint and Spray paint.

It does not like Halfords spary paint or greensrtuff. It turns halford sprayapint into a sticky mess that dosnt seam to come off and softens greenstuff.

I can confirm the problems with Halfords undercoat.

I solved most of the problem by using Swarfega to get rid of the stickiness, not a perfect solution, still small amounts of undercoat in the crevices. Minis still have just as much detail after re-undercoating (might be the one flaw of Halfords has over GW undercoat?).

Just tried Power Clean on greenstuff

Archived