UK Simple Green Equivalent?

Could you guys who have experience with dettol maybe give me a run-through of the process you use and what effects it has on the details on the plastic? Thanks :P

My procuedure:

1)Leave models in a ceramic dish or glass jar, completely immersed in dettol. Jab away as the paint softens with a toothpick to remove the "gunk"

2)Remove models after 3-4 hours, using tongs or similar (to avoid getting gunk everywhere.

Sandwich with tissue paper/paper kitchen towel, to remove the excess residue and paint which has peeled away and become "rubbery"

3)Prepare a fresh rinse of dettol, dip the model in this fresh preparation, and using an old toothbrush or nailbrush, scrub the model whilst immersed

4)Again, sandwich in tissue paper as before to remove Dettol and reidue.

5) If lots of excess paint, rinse in soapy water and repeat from step 3

A couple of capfuls of dettol worked for me on about 10 models, including palstic components from the old devestator models. The paint is a bit harder t remove from undercuts with palstic models, but the plastic itself is fine. The worst colours are black and blue I've ffound - the Citadel Red applied over Citadel undercaot came off in one pieces virtually.

Ah thanks guys :) And what was the effect on superglue again? I kinda glued all my mini's with superglue :)

I think it just weakens it, but shouldn't be too much of a problem, just glue back together ^_^

*Runs Off to Check Mums Cleaning Cupboard*

[Gets weird looks off Mum]

*Comes Back*

Ok, In the cupboard I have loads of different surface cleaners (windows, metal surfaces etc) altough, one did catch my eye:

Dettol Anti-Bacteria Multi-Purpose Cleaner (Lemon Flavour Scented)

Will this work? I heard lots of talk of Dettol, but what kind of Dettol ;)

It has to be the dettol with the pine content - i.e. the traditionl disinfectant one - that is strong enough and is great for the job. Not tried any others...

Looking again, I've found a 'Thick Pine Disinfectant', that should work.

And now my family think I'm weird, snooping around the cleaning cupboard, seems to not be a natural occurance for the youth of today...

And now my family think I'm weird, snooping around the cleaning cupboard, seems to not be a natural occurance for the youth of today...

;) :)

Well if it weakens the glue without any adverse effects, it's good for me. I want to be able to pull apart and clean up all my models if possible so I can really start from scratch.

Ah thanks guys ;) And what was the effect on superglue again? I kinda glued all my mini's with superglue :)

I think it just weakens it, but shouldn't be too much of a problem, just glue back together ;)

*Runs Off to Check Mums Cleaning Cupboard*

[Gets weird looks off Mum]

*Comes Back*

Ok, In the cupboard I have loads of different surface cleaners (windows, metal surfaces etc) altough, one did catch my eye:

Dettol Anti-Bacteria Multi-Purpose Cleaner (Lemon Flavour Scented)

Will this work? I heard lots of talk of Dettol, but what kind of Dettol :wub:

That's the blue one, right? That does very little, as I found out :P And don't use anything with Lemon Scent, it buggers up plastics.

It's the brown one you want.

Edit: Should've read the rest of the thread, huh?

Archived