Alternate Scout Heads

This is my first post in a long, long time. I went from active poster to lurker, and I hope to make the shift to poster again.

Basically, I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with finding alternate heads for the new, plastic space marine scouts. I recently bought two boxes for a total of ten models, but like many, I tend to dislike the heads.

I have already tried cutting off the "neck" of a bare Space Marine head, but this looked out of place and did not fit well, of course that may have been because I cut too much off.

I am good as far as working with plastic goes, but my GS skills are somewhat limited(good at hair and some fire, but not much else)

If anyone has any ideas, please respond, I am currently planning on getting some bare IG heads from a friend of mine, but if these will not work, I'd like to save him the trouble ;)

Again, thanks for any input here and I am sorry if this issue has already been adressed in an earlier thread, I have not been around for a while, so I missed it, and my search turned up nothing useful :P

I personally found that Catachan Jungle Fighter heads to make for quite attractive Scout head replacements with very little effort.

That said, there's only 5 or six variations.

Depends on if you want helmeted or bare heads I guess

As for bare heads, I would love to get my hands on some youthful heads for my BT Neophytes.

These are supposed to be teenagers, right? It is quite expensive to buy all those necromunda juves to use as donors, so I am looking for ways to modify the stock heads to look more youthful.

For Helmeted heads, The shaved down space marine helmets just dont work for me. Necromunda arbites helmets might do the trick, but this solution is too darn expensive for some 50 scout models :wacko:

I haven't found any suitable WHFB helmets either.

Cheers

-t14

Ah I'm surprised you don't like any Fantasy heads! I love Marauder heads for BTs! Shave off the horns and they look so perfect! That's what I use for my Templar Neophytes. The Empire heads are good too but few heads per sprue. I don't think they need to look too youthful either, being Genetically enhanced I would imagine they look "adult" before their time.

I have already tried cutting off the "neck" of a bare Space Marine head, but this looked out of place and did not fit well, of course that may have been because I cut too much off.

The problem, I believe, is the design of the neck. Never liked the rounded join for the WHFB models...

i disliked the heads in general for the scouts so i decided to paint them black and use a strip of gold so it looks like a balacava instead of having them nice and fleshy this makes it a bit more realistic in my opinion cos ive painted my scouts in camo and flesh white isnt the best camo around but the balaclavas look good

Hmm, let me clarify somewhat then, I seem to have left out some info in my original post :wacko:

First off, I play Dark Angels, and I do not want "knightly" helmets for my scouts, not due to fluff or anything, it is just that I do not like the look of scouts with helmets like that(as seen in the Black Gobbo)

Secondly, I would prefer bare heads, with hair or bald, does not truly matter to me.

So far, I like the idea of the Catachan/IG heads, but I have a question, is any cutting or shaping needed to get the "necks" to fit into the Scout torso?

If anyone has any prior experience with converting other heads for use by scouts, please feel free to share, I am looking for any information I can get.

Thanks again.

Ok... the Wood Elves heads with hoods look pretty good on the Scout bodies. Don't need much work to fit nice. They're a little smaller but look nice and seem Dark Angely. Some of them have weird Elf ... junk... covering the mouth/nose area. You can either GS breathers or scarves over those or find someone at your local store that plays Wood Elves and trade them something for the heads with nothing on the face. With the hoods painted in the colors of the cloth undersuit they should look great. My Templar Techmarine Servitors are made from Scout parts with those heads and Middenheim arms.

It's funny, I'm actually trying to get some scout heads for my imperial guard and having a hell of a time.

I'd suggest Catachan heads though for sure, or even the Cadian unhelmeted sergeant, I havent tried to see how they fit, but I don't immagine any difficulty at all, probably wouldnt even need to GS a gap.

-Legacy40k

In the latest UK White Dwarf 318, a guy has used the head with the rebreather mask from the tactical sprue. They look pretty good, so much as to say i'll be using those heads for my next batch of sniper scout which I have but am yet to assemble.

I

In the latest UK White Dwarf 318, a guy has used the head with the rebreather mask from the tactical sprue. They look pretty good, so much as to say i'll be using those heads for my next batch of sniper scout which I have but am yet to assemble.
are you sure thats what they are?

after reading the thread that started very recently, i can't find a single head that has that rebreather on it. the 3rd ed baldie comes close but is HUGE in comparison to the pic and any other 4th ed baldie head. i've tried every baldie head i have and i have searched ebay and the ukGw store but to no avail. This research i have done, leads me to believe that the rebreather/osmotic gill is sculpted on to the regular (if not shaved a little) SM scout head, not that hard really

aaaaannnnyyyyyway....

i have found that the only decent looking heads are the cadian sgts and the supplied scout heads with a bit of the jaw cut down/shaved off/filed to finish, these look very good and are easy and cheap to convert via knife or GS. try the shaved down look with a spare scout head and see the comparison for yourself

DM :P

Archived