ThunderRhino?

-Q-

So I'm wondering if anyone's done a Thunderhawk style Rhino conversion. Similar to how Hobbes did up a Speeder like a mini Thunderbolt. Seems like it would look good and could be used as a Drop Pod. I know GreyDeath did a hover style Rhino but it doesn't have the design cues of the Thunderhawk. This is something I'm thinking about doing but I figured I'd see how anyone else approached it if they have. Thanks! =)

What I have seen is a land laider made into a dropship. The sides were at 45degrees to the hull but it was beautiful when finished. It might provide some inspiration so I'll try find the pic.

Not quite the same, but I remember seeing the HORNET out there. Take a rhino, trim off the tracks, put land speeder engines on the back, use a dread assault cannon on the top as a turret.

Hmm, digs arround with google...... and strikes out, darn work filters blocking sights

GW Perth have a massive diarama of SM vs Tau and in this they have a prisoner transport ship, a rhino mixed with the parts of x2 LS.

the main body is basically an unaltered rhino with an LS cockpit on the front and also x2 LS backsides atttached to the rear of the rhino. i'll see if i can get i pic for you, could be a little while (definitly tomorrow tho)

DM :P

GW Perth have a massive diarama of SM vs Tau and in this they have a prisoner transport ship, a rhino mixed with the parts of x2 LS.

the main body is basically an unaltered rhino with an LS cockpit on the front and also x2 LS backsides atttached to the rear of the rhino. i'll see if i can get i pic for you, could be a little while (definitly tomorrow tho)

DM :blush:

Oh, that might have been the one I saw,

Thanks for the tips everyone. Seems like it's sort of an Urban Legend type thing :P

Looking forward to some pics DM, thanks for the extra effort, it's appreciated.

What I have seen is a land laider made into a dropship. The sides were at 45degrees to the hull but it was beautiful when finished. It might provide some inspiration so I'll try find the pic.

Is this the one you mean?

niiice ... where did you find that one?

any more pics and/or any info on what it made out of etc?

looks like some sort of gravtank from Command and Conquer =)

So I'm wondering if anyone's done a Thunderhawk style Rhino conversion. Similar to how Hobbes did up a Speeder like a mini Thunderbolt. Seems like it would look good and could be used as a Drop Pod. I know GreyDeath did a hover style Rhino but it doesn't have the design cues of the Thunderhawk. This is something I'm thinking about doing but I figured I'd see how anyone else approached it if they have. Thanks! =)

on the issue of drop pods ...

anyone seen the drop pods (I think they are) in a WD and/or Codex that was made out if a Rhino or such?

don

I'm assuming you mean the bunkers on pages 76-77 of the new Space Marines Codex. When that photo was first seen many people considered using that idea to create drop pods.

I am not looking to turn a Rhino into a Drop Pod. Rather, I want to make a ship/flyer based on the Rhino kit, styled like a mini Thunderhawk, possibly being used in game as a Drop Pod since Troop Deployment is a major use of Thunderhawks. Of course Drop Pod rules aren't perfect since they cannot move after deployment but at least it'd allow me to use it in games.

i'll see if i can get i pic for you, could be a little while (definitly tomorrow tho)
:(

unfortunately i will have to do this tomorrow (FRI16JUN06) as RL has barged it's way in being all abusive and making me do stuff like baby-sit, work 11 hrs and *gasp* shopping with the mrs :o .

BUT i have been give the green light to visit GW Perth to photograph the rhino/lander without buying the super sweet sniper scouts i had been planning on :cry:

i apologise for this little speed hump but the pics are coming ^_^

I am not looking to turn a Rhino into a Drop Pod. Rather, I want to make a ship/flyer based on the Rhino kit, styled like a mini Thunderhawk, possibly being used in game as a Drop Pod since Troop Deployment is a major use of Thunderhawks. Of course Drop Pod rules aren't perfect since they cannot move after deployment but at least it'd allow me to use it in games.
i hace been thinking this particular conundrum over for about a year now, the best i could come up with is "counts as" :( or (IMHO) the less acceptable VDR

the "counts as" leaves the door open for alot of things eg overcharged engines (BA's only ;) ), "CA" Rhino, "CA" RzB, where as the VDR are a lot of trouble for the flyer that may not be accepted by all.

however if you do use them as DP's don't for get to use the whooshing engine sound as they land and "take off" when they are in use (think star wars) ;)

DM ;)

Aw yeah I didn't even think of Overcharged Engines and just using them as Rhinos. Nice. ^_^ Duh

Don't even worry about the speed, this is a back burner thing. I have much higher priority modeling going on right now. I just want to start getting ideas and throwing the bitz together in a project tray.

Take extra money for "lunch" on your trip, your wife doesn't know what Sniper Scouts look like or if you'd had them all along ;)

I'm assuming you mean the bunkers on pages 76-77 of the new Space Marines Codex. When that photo was first seen many people considered using that idea to create drop pods.

You're best bet:

Look that the Valkyrie and the Arvus Lander for inspiration. The transport compartment of both vehicles is similar enough to the shape (but not size) of a rhino, that you could convert a craft based off the rhino and influenced by either, or both of these vehicles.

I think the Arvus would be easier to make. the hardest part being to make the wings on either vehicle, followed by the cockpit and engines.

-Legacy40k

Finally went to GW Perth and snapped these for you, no ssss tho :( (ssss=super sweet sniper scouts)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Dominar_Mortis/other%20wh40k%20pics/fri16jun06027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Dominar_Mortis/other%20wh40k%20pics/fri16jun06026.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Dominar_Mortis/other%20wh40k%20pics/fri16jun06024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Dominar_Mortis/other%20wh40k%20pics/fri16jun06025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/Dominar_Mortis/other%20wh40k%20pics/fri16jun06028.jpg

hope these can help :unsure:

DM ;)

Oh, managed to find a photo of it on another Forum.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/TheDarkApostle/templars3.jpg

Have no idea at all though who that have done it or what rules it use.. ;)

Thanks guys!

Apostle, that's GreyDeath's hover Rhino I was talking about. Sold on eBay and painted by someone else. It's cool and a good starting point for ideas. The one DM found is a little more of what I was going for but still not quite at it.

Legacy, the Arvus is really good. That might end up being the direction I go. I'd like to see if I could bring a little more of the Thunderhawk silhouette.

More than high concept (flying Rhino) I am thinking of a more direct descendant in style and function. For example the Rhino to the Land Raider. Hobbes' Cobra to Forgeworld's Thunderbolt.

Maybe it's just not ever been done before. I'm very thankful for everyone looking around for me and trying to help. Certainly DM for going out for a trip just to take pics... that thing is awesome!

Maybe it's just not ever been done before. I'm very thankful for everyone looking around for me and trying to help. Certainly DM for going out for a trip just to take pics... that thing is awesome!
:D no probs, i was teased with a box set of SSSS when the boys found out :( ;)

DM ;)

-Q-,

I just dont think its been done yet.

Not like what your saying.

Hobbes is the first I have seen to make a light fighter like that and so you be the first to make a light fighter out of a rhino.

Looks like your going to have to do your own version and then just teach and show all of us how to do it.

I have seen the Hornet and it might work.

Small and built off a rhino chassis.

Its kinda old now but still cool

It might work to give you even more ideas.

But looks like your just going to have to go for it.

Good luck and when you get around to it I cant wait to see it.

:devil:

Heres the pics of the Hornet.

Might give you more inspiration for your project.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/magsdad31/DSCN0576.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/magsdad31/DSCN0575.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f11/magsdad31/DSCN0574.jpg

hmmm... maybe like you'd to see my first shrewd sketch of a valkyrie based upon a land speeder and an old rhino. i'm currently working on it (again) and maybe i can post some pics in the near future although i got my exams at the moment.

it's planned to be used as a valkyrie or according to vcr for a small deatchwatch detachment.

btw. the rhino thing with one and a half landspeeder on front and side in the display case is pretty ugly in my opinion. the hornet looks cool - pretty old school. and the cobra gives me a nice hint for my wing construction :lol:

(CLICK)

http://img45.imagevenue.com/loc41/th_93156_valky1.jpg

Archived